wasr 10/63 late 2013 value

This is a discussion on wasr 10/63 late 2013 value within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; so I've been wanting an AK type rifle for awhile now and I'm wanting to stay under $800. my local sporting goods store has the ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Echo_Four
  • 1 Post By grbr

Thread: wasr 10/63 late 2013 value

so I've been wanting an AK type rifle for awhile now and I'm wanting to stay under $800. my local sporting goods store has the wasr 10/63 in stock again and I notice the price jumped up to $850 when they use to be about $450 high retail. well they just put an ad out this week that has the wasr in it for $200 bucks off, which makes it $650. from what I've seen online that's right at what guys are asking for theirs on armslist. it is a real shame but I don't see them coming back down to $350-450 again so I am seriously considering putting it on layaway. I know about the problems that these rifles had in the past but that's the past and from what I've heard century really made them a better gun, besides that I've fondled both of the ones they have in stock right now several times and i checked everything that they say you should (mag wobble, front sight post, gas tube alignment, etc.) and both seem to be fine rifles. should i go ahead and get one or wait a little longer to see if the prices go down? does anyone have educated foresight on the future of gun prices?
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large, is that they be properly armed."

I'm not familiar with the brand but if you're prepared to drop $650, why not wait a little longer and save up the difference get something that seems to be of better quality?

ETA: Around here, the average price I've seen AK's going for is right around $800. I can't recall what the brands are/were though, sorry.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    I know that the AK market has exploded. But a WASR is not an $800 gun. It isn't a $600 gun. That may be retail for them now, but they aren't worth the money. I have seen some Yugo underfolders going for $600-$700 on some of the auction sights recently. You're getting a much better gun if you go that route... at least in my opinion.
    rugerdude12 likes this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

The 10/63 with the little triangle stamp with the upward arrow inside it is actually of considerably higher quality than the WASR 10's that really gave those AK's a bad name. I have one. The only time it has ever had a failure was when my brother in law fired it...and he had 3 problems in 1 mag, 2 FTF and 1 double fire...I think the AK gods just hate him. Not sure what he did to make AK's hate him, but I grabbed it back and it went back to flawless firing for me ever since, as it had been beforehand.

Before you buy it do 2 things: 1) hold it and check for canted sights or gas tube, 2) bring some snapcaps, or if you're somewhere safe to do it, chamber some live rounds. Some have a tight chamber that doesn't always allow the bolt to fully close when chambering. Just bad QC on those 2 points. But if you do that QC yourself before buying you should be good to go.
    StormRhydr likes this.

I dont understand why, but AK prices have not come down like AR prices have. Has to have something to do with import limits, exec orders, or something. Nothing else seems to make any sense.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rugerdude12 View Post
    so I've been wanting an AK type rifle for awhile now and I'm wanting to stay under $800. my local sporting goods store has the wasr 10/63 in stock again and I notice the price jumped up to $850 when they use to be about $450 high retail. well they just put an ad out this week that has the wasr in it for $200 bucks off, which makes it $650. from what I've seen online that's right at what guys are asking for theirs on armslist. it is a real shame but I don't see them coming back down to $350-450 again so I am seriously considering putting it on layaway. I know about the problems that these rifles had in the past but that's the past and from what I've heard century really made them a better gun, besides that I've fondled both of the ones they have in stock right now several times and i checked everything that they say you should (mag wobble, front sight post, gas tube alignment, etc.) and both seem to be fine rifles. should i go ahead and get one or wait a little longer to see if the prices go down? does anyone have educated foresight on the future of gun prices?
    Unless you find one around $500, then I would just buy a Saiga 7.62 for $450 and convert it.

Prices on imported items take longer to come down, but they are. I don't remember where but I saw WASRs going for $550 a few weeks ago I think. They won't go down as long as people overpay for them, and a weakening dollar doesn't help either.

Wow never thought of chambering a snap cap that is a great idea. Do you think a spent/dummy round would work too?
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large, is that they be properly armed."

VIP Member
    I would look for a MAK-90 if you can find one. They have shot up in price too, but I would take a used MAK90 over a new WASR any day of the week.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Wsar 10 are the version before the 10/63 they can still be had around 500 or less the 10/63 are around 600-800 now . The 10/63 are mil kit built the earlier the numbers ie 1968 or around there the better I hear and yeah dont buy online if you can check in person. The sights and gas tube need to be straight and rack the bolt there should be no bolt sticking. As for mag wobble most converted aks have that I think tapco mags were made for wsar as they have almost no wobble in them same for the old bakerlight mags but they run 40 buck and up now .

But you can still get a PAP ak for 500 or less they are nice very thick reciver and with yuko mag they have bolt hold open . But there are somewaht less add on out there as the stock is bit different . The thicker reciver are nice I hear and very sturdy I bleive the second gen o paps are the niceness and have less problems

If you want the best aks out there get a pre pre ban china or euro ak (pre 89) they are very very nice but will run you at least 1k or more . The china ones are nice ever aftr 89 till 94 but they may not have threaded barrels or bayo lug and buttonhole stocks . The sar ones are nice guns they are 94 ban gun but have dimples to hold the mag in place but gain normal no barrel threading or bayo lug (but the lug are like 30$).I like the wsar for one reason they are like ar in that you can do what ever you want they are fully 922r oked. Bear in mind the number of parts out there for ak for the stamped receiver ak (aka wsar) there are a lot of parts for the milled guns not as much. I can go either way with them either classic with nice kvar grips or mall ninja with rails and slide fire ( which work great for stamped guns).

That said dont forget most of these are part kit guns so when thouse dry up no more aks . Anyone can make a ar-15 but not many compains make american ak stuff outside of the needed 922r stuff. That is why they are harder to find they are imported guns that are modded to be legal . I have seen plenty of ar around sks or aks not so much..

I know they are a few made moslty here ak ie the IO stuff but they are very very hit and miss. Also the sig 556r is nice takes ak mags and if you stick with second gen guns they work great.

I guess the good news is ak ammo is still 5 bucks or less for 20 but the brass stuff is more of course

Links