30-30 lever for hunting

30-30 lever for hunting

This is a discussion on 30-30 lever for hunting within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My son is becoming of age and for his rites of passage and for an early Christmas present Id like to get him his own ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: 30-30 lever for hunting

30-30 lever for hunting

My son is becoming of age and for his rites of passage and for an early Christmas present Id like to get him his own 30-30 lever rifle for this hunting season.

Ive got an old Marlin that was handed down to me from my Dad which will someday be his but he needs his own to use right now, and I have been thinking about getting him a Marlin 336C or a new Deluxe model but since Remington acquired Marlin and moved them it seems that their quality has suffered.

Or maybe a Rossi Win Rio Grande, now I know Rossi is their own entity but being a subsidiary of Torus Im leery about them too. Id get him a Henry but Id rather get a side-port loader then a tube feed. And Id prefer one made in the USA too.

So tell me..enlighten me.advise me.on what your choice would be?

I think that a Marlin 30-30 would be a great gun for your son.

The Marlin 336SS I have now, is my favorite deer rifle. In the woods, it's the best. I've bought and sold several (30-30's) down through the years, but my latest Marlin 336SS (in 30-30) is going to stay with me until I pass it down to my son/grandkids.
    chandler4228, Aceoky and ctr like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I have a Marlin 336 I am quite happy with, although I havent used it for hunting yet I do prefer the Marlin design for its side ejection allowing a scope to be mounted on the centerline of the rifle. I dont have a picture of the scope mounted here is a picture of the rifle in the nude.

Marlin.jpg
    atctimmy, Aceoky and ctr like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Marlin 336 is a fine gun. I grew up with a Win. Mod 94 30/30 and took many of white tails with it in Wis. I cant say enough about the 30/30 fine cal. silver tips were my best bullets.

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    I'm not sure what you want to spend, but there are very pristine 30-30s/30 WCF lever guns on GunBroker that were made at a time when craftsmen built them by hand that are essentially new guns because they were little used and stored properly in someone's safe. That's really all I buy. Some even have the box and paperwork, but that will cost you another C-bill. They can be very expensive in pristine and unfired state, but I usually buy lightly used for maybe a hundred or two over what a brand new rifle would cost, and for me it's totally worth it. The fit and finished when compared side by side is obvious, and it seems like what was considered plain grade wood back then is fancy today.

There are hundreds for sale at any given time, and you just have to hunt through them, find the ones you like, and then watch them to see what they do. Something like this would be ideal:
    Winchester 94AE pack carbine brand new old stock : Lever Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

The last actually new rifle I bought was when I was in my 20s, and it was a Browning .30-06, A-bolt II in SS (first year of production I think) with a synthetic stock, and I put a Burris Signature series scope on it. It is a deer killing machine, but it is so light the recoil is like a .300 Win Mag (which doesn't bother me, but it does some people). It's the only rifle I own with a plastic stock or in SS, and though certainly more durable than almost any other rifle I own, it is the ugly duckling of the safe. I still like it, but when I see a Blue Medallion I can't help but give my younger self a sort of disapproving, squinty eyed look.

Good luck!
    rocky, grouse and Bad Bob like this.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

I would look for a used 336 in gun stores and pawn shops - there are scads of them out there, although there may be some seasonal shortages right now. I'm not the only DC member who's found a near-pristine 336 for an affordable price on the used racks.

And at the worst, the gun is pretty simple, so even if you're 'forced' to buy a new one, chances are the 'Remlin' models will still be pretty good.

BTW, if you elect to mount a scope, please don't get those see-through mounts. Especially for a novice shooter, having to lift your head way off the stock to sight through the scope is a huge strike against downrange accuracy. If Junior is eagle-eyed, I'd favor a Lyman or Williams receiver sight over a scope.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    What he said! I don't scope 30-30s, .35 REM, .32 WCF, or any of the .30 carbine, caliberoid 100yd + rifles. Even with my failing eyes there's little point. They don't shoot past where I can see them anyway.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

I've had a few lever-action rifles, but nowhere near the variety many folks here have had. Marlin 1894 .357 and .44, Rossi Puma .44. If I were looking for a new one these days, likely the list would also include Henry and Mossberg's 464.

And I'd probably be on the watch for a decent pre-owned Winchester 94 as well. Any early Winchester or Marlin ought to do very nicely. Check GunBroker's completed auctions for an idea of just how many of the used Win/Marlin examples there are out there, many for very fair prices. Might well be a bit ratty, at the lower price levels, but so long as the action is fine and the barrel's still good, it'll be a winner with a bit of spit and polish on the stock, possibly sights. Might be a nice little project, as well. You'll cover the cost, but he'll "own" it through the project. Just a thought.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The Winchester is my sentimental favorite and I own Winchesters. I don't own the Marlin however I recommend them to anyone who asks. The Marlins generally display a bit better accuracy and are more pleasant to shoot off the bench rest.
    atctimmy and grouse like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Stick with the Marlin! It will be an heirloom that he will cherish and can pass on to his son/daughter! The time you spend with your son hunting will be some of the most valued time in his (and your) life. Enjoy!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I've owned a 336C in 30-30 since 1981. Great gun. I scoped it using over/under mounts so I can use the scope or irons. My oldest son shot it a few months ago and complained of the recoil. It never bothered me TOO much but I installed a good recoil pad; made a good bit of difference.

If you want up-to-date opinions on the newer "Remlins", then ask on this site: 336

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    The Marlin 336 is a great rifle as are the older savage 99. I prefer something with a little more power than a 30-30 but that round has killed a lot of whitetails across the country. One nice thing about the 30-30 is that if he is young and has trouble with the recoil Remington has managed recoil ammo for it.

An LGS owner collects and sells Marlins. He tells me the Marlin quality is much higher now than when they were first bought by Remington and moved. There are many nice used lever-actions on the shelves around here, even a few Winchesters. I have owned several Marlin and Winchester lever-actions since 1963. My current one is a Marlin 336-44 Texan .44 magnum built in the 1960s. I was fondling a new Browning BLR in .308 and a used one in .270 at the LGS yesterday.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

VIP Member
    I have nothing more useful to add to the above posts. Instead I'll tell a story.

When I was 14 I got my first buck with a Marlin chambered in .444. I was borrowing the rifle because I couldn't afford my own rifle yet (I bought my first deer rifle the next year.....at K Mart of all places). I was sitting up on a steep hillside overlooking a thicket and a creek. It was only about 8:30 on the first day of gun season so I was pretty upset when one of my cousins walked along the creek and into the thicket. It was the first day after all and you shouldn't be walking around messing things up until after lunch (at least).

As he walked into the thicket and as I was cursing him in my heart I heard a loud "whack" (an antler hitting a branch, but I didn't know that then). Half a second later a big 9 point buck ran out of the other end of the thicket, straight up the hill towards me. I put the cross hairs in between his shoulders (he was coming straight at me) and I shot him at about 35 yards. Because of the angle of the shot (steep hill) my bullet passed through his chest and hit his spine. He flipped straight over onto his back and went all stiff like a dead cockroach. He never moved again and I had put meat on the table for the very first time.

Also, I wasn't so mad at my cousin anymore either. : )
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I really like "true Marlins" not the Remington Marlins...I'd look at a Rossi 30-30 before I'd purchase a Remington Marlin.....

I have a Rossi 45/70 absolutely love this carbine ..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links