Rifle to keep in vehicle?

This is a discussion on Rifle to keep in vehicle? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Does anyone keep a rifle in their vehicle? I drive a single cab truck, and have lately been thinking about keeping a rifle in it ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Rifle to keep in vehicle?

Does anyone keep a rifle in their vehicle? I drive a single cab truck, and have lately been thinking about keeping a rifle in it as a "just in case" type of precaution. I have recently (for the last 2-3 months or so) kept a bag with other necessities, such as jumper cables, tie downs, straps, flashlight, multitool, some other basic tools, some spare batteries, etc), and have been thinking about adding a rifle to it.

I have a Ruger LCP that has turned into my main carry weapon (roughly 70% of the time), and a Glock 17 that gets carried when appropriate, but lives most of its days spent in the center console with the Ruger. I would use the Glock for defense in the vehicle if necessary, but I was thinking about keeping a rifle in the vehicle just in case there was a scenario that played out where a single pistol would not be adequate.

Do any of you keep a rifle/shotgun in your vehicle? Its legal here in my state, so what say you?

I keep my 11.5" with me. It's also my work rifle, but anytime I'm taking a trip anywhere, it goes along.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

It depends. When I do, it's usually an AK. In my state, loaded mags can't be in the rifle or inside the case... They can be in external pockets, though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

The problem for me is most of my guns I would hate to lose if the car got busted into . That said about the only gun I would pack in car would be a sub 9 or sub 200 or maybe one of the folding kel tec 223 rifles cause they can be stored well hidden or in a pile or junk so less chance they go missing . Also for the subs they would go with what ever carry gun you may have. I would say also that a ak pistole or ar pistole would be a great truck gun massive firepower in a small box.

I guess for me a truck gun is a cheap gun that can be replaced cheaply . That used to be mini 14s but they have gone up in price . So a sks might be a good truck gun or a folding stock ak rifle . Somthing that can surive a truck bed for a long time and still go bang. It also to me works better if your car has a real trunk as there is a lot of ways to hide a rifle there ..

All that said I always trey to have a knife and some form of boom stick in my car just in case. It also helps I am in AZ so I could keep a ak with mag in it locked and loaded on the seat next to me ...

Course this use to be the truck gun pre 34 ithica-auto-and-burglar-817.jpg
    gallardo.g23 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck808 View Post
    Do any of you keep a rifle/shotgun in your vehicle? Its legal here in my state, so what say you?
    Well, technically it's not a rifle per se, but I keep an AR pistol in my Jeep. It's small enough to be easily maneuverable in the vehicle, it packs a punch, and with a reflex sight, it doesn't take a lot of effort to use it. It also holds 30 rounds, and has enough oomph to go through things like car door skins if necessary.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

My state makes no regulation based on what sort of long gun can be in the vehicle, or how it can be transported, as long as the firearm is kept for legal uses.

That really was the only problem I saw with leaving it in the vehicle, but its a single cab Ram (brand new R/T, might I add ) with super dark tinted windows, so theres no way to see inside the cabin. Even if you could, the interior is black, and the soft case it stays in is black, and its behind my seat anyway, so even someone riding in the truck would have a hard time knowing it was there, unless they looked back there.

Ive been thinking about how nice a folding stock (side folder or underfolder) would be. Ive heard the underfolders suck to shoot, and Im not a fan of the way they look (I love the classic look of the AK with wooden furniture because of the history behind it), but it would be nice considering space is limited.

I never have, but am seriously thinking on having a "trunk gun" in my car from now on. Id rather go with a rifle, but like some others have said, I dont want to put my best rifle in my trunk, and have some punk steal it.

I had thought about an 870, but that might be a bit long, depending on the situation. Im really thinking of buying a Hi point 9mm carbine.

I have plenty of ammo on hand, if its stolen, I havent lost that much, it has OK firepower, and capacity (with spare mags), and it gives one the ability to "reach out and touch someone", in an urban SHTF situation.
    gallardo.g23 likes this.

I'm not a fan of keeping guns in vehicles, unless you have no other choice, due to the fact that they are easily stolen. If you do this, try to secure the weapon as much as possible.

That said, you may want to consider what happens when you cross state lines. Different states have different laws about what is considered a "loaded weapon" - in some states, a loaded rifle mag *anywhere* in the vehicle can get you into trouble.

You may thus want to consider a long gun that can go from completely unloaded (and thus legal everywhere) to being able to fire a few shots in as little time as possible. Some good candidates are double barrel shotguns, pump shotguns, and lever guns. All of these can easily have a few shots loaded in short order - much more so than a gun with a detacheable magazine. Plus, they are not "evil scary black assault weapons" - they are generally seen as hunting guns - and that can very much matter, depending where you are.

If you have a handgun anyway as a backup, I do not see you realistically needing more than a few shots from a long gun to solve any problems.

Just a thought.
    tdave, ShooterGranny and munch520 like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    I did neglect to mention that the AR pistol is kept in a secure case locked to the vehicle so theft would be quite a feat, and it's not left in the car at night in the driveway etc.. so yeah, I wouldn't leave any weapon unsecured in a vehicle for any length of time.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I keep a 16 inch AR Smith MP as a Truck gun.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Im not worried about the firearm being too valuable if it got stolen. With that reasoning, Id use a Hi-Point as my daily carry since I know its going to get dinged up. Id be much more worried about someone stealing it and using it in a crime or selling it to someone to use it in a crime. Ill have to look around to see if there is a way where I could secure it to the vehicle, but otherwise, im not sure what else I could really do.

A pistol AR/AK would be great, but are they really easy to use? Ive never shot one before. Its a cool idea, but it seems like more of a gimmick to me than anything. My Maverick 88 12ga would be another option (I have a pistol grip for it, but its not exactly easy to shoot or very usable as a defensive tool with it, more of just a range toy with it on), if I were to swap my 28" barrel with an 18" barrel. In that case, if there were some type of active shooter situation, Id much rather have a few 30rd mags loaded up and ready to go instead of having to carry around a bag full of shells, since my gun holds 5 in the tube (Id keep the chamber unloaded if it were in my vehicle, just like I would do with a rifle), and I have a side saddle with 6 more shots, I dont think that 1/3rd the capacity of one magazine is really a great tradeoff, when I can swap mags in the AK pretty fast, and have better sights and a longer range to boot.

Anyone have any suggestions about a way to maybe secure a rifle to the vehicle in a single cab truck?

Another vote for checking regional carry laws in NV I can carry my Mossy magazine loaded chamber empty(Cruiser Ready) no problem. Put one in the chamber big problem (Aside from safety issues) Drive across state line cruiser ready big problem. If your going to do it check the local harassment codes. Side tip read of one individual with SUV no trunk who kept a folding AK in a tennis racket case. He said no one in Detroit was stealing tennis rackets.
    StormRhydr likes this.

How about an old lever gun? Nothing scary and black about that...........as American as a pickup truck and apple pie. 30-30 too.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    How about an old lever gun? Nothing scary and black about that...........as American as a pickup truck and apple pie. 30-30 too.
    I am really looking at one of the new Marlin Youth carbines in .30-30 for this very purpose.

For a long time, I just kept a Swede 96 behind the seat of my truck, but now that I've tripled my work commute, that beater Dodge has gone away, and the new vehicle has a semi-hidden compartment that will work just dandy for a short, flat, skinny carbine...
    Rock and Glock and ccw9mm like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

OP - If you were caught in an active shooter situation, and were near your vehicle, the best thing to do would be - to drive away. You are not going to escape the situation, grab your long gun in your vehicle, and then go back in. That's a great way to get shot by responding police. Friendly fire - isn't.

Really, I have a hard time imagining a situation where you would need a long gun in the vehicle...and where you would have the time to get to it. Seems to me that if you have the time to get it, you can just drive away. And in any realistic scenario, you are only going to need a few shots. A pump shotgun with a short barrel (18-20 inches) and rifle sights would be ideal. Buckshot for up close, slugs for 100 yards + (not likely). I'm not too worried about capacity with a shotgun...after some time on the trap field, I can shuck shells singly PDQ into a shotgun.

Lever guns are a great option as well. Shuck a cartridge into the chamber, then a few more into the tube. You can top them off on the fly, just like a pump shotgun.

Either option is inexpensive, and will get the job done - in a PC manner to boot.
    Smitty901 likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links