My New AR

My New AR

This is a discussion on My New AR within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I've been wanting to buy an AR but had not researched the topic to much but as an impulse purchase today I came home ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: My New AR

My New AR

So I've been wanting to buy an AR but had not researched the topic to much but as an impulse purchase today I came home from my LGS store with a Predator Custom PCS-15 and a sightmark reflex sight. I was hoping for some feedback on this gun. I got it for $900 out the door and the guy told me it had a lifetime warranty from the company in Knoxville TN. Here are some specs-

PREDATOR Custom Shop forged, mil-spec. lower
    Mil-spec. flat-top upper
    16 inch E.R. Shaw match grade 1-9 HBAR
    A2 flash-hider
    M4 handguards
    6 position, M4 stock
    Yankee Hill Machine flip-up rear sightfile
    Attached Images
    Tidal likes this.

VIP Member
    The time to ask questions is before you buy a new gun, not after.

It looks to me like a small shop putting together a parts gun.
    blitzburgh, zacii, Aiko and 3 others like this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Yea I should have asked before if I was that worried about the purchase but I think I didnt go wrong i just could have done better and this is just my beginners AR, I didn't have to have the best of the best.

I'm not familiar with the brand but it looks fine as a beginner rifle, especially since you didn't have to have the best of the best. Shoot the snot out of it and see how it works out. Hopefully, you won't have to try out their warranty any time soon.

ETA: For what it's worth, I can't knock the brand since I'm not familiar with it but I paid roughly the same price for my Sig M4...
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Yea I plan to shoot it alot and get familiar with the platform then upgrade. It's alot different than my deer rifles for sure. But thanks I'm excited about it.

Once you get it out and shoot it, let us know how well it performed. Ive heard of Predator Customs, but that's about it. Just because its not some real expensive name brand AR 15 doesn`t mean its not as good as the others. Some people think you need to spend several thousand dollars to get a good AR 15, and I can assure you that's not the case.

Enjoy your new rifle, and maybe make some upgrades to it in the future to improve it a little, and you will be quite happy with it.
    blitzburgh and Sister like this.

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    I'd make room in my gun safe for it for sure. Now take that baby out and shoot it till the barrel warps.
    oneshot likes this.
    SCGunLover1

I would figure out what the chamber dimensions are (5.56 NATO, .223 Rem, or .223 Wylde), as well as what profile bolt carrier group is in the rifle.

Also, if you want to swap out the stock in the future, you will need to know if that is a mil spec or commercial diameter buffer tube.
    atctimmy, zacii and rocky like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Don't feel bad. I recently purchased a Bushmaster on a spur-of-the-moment impulse buy to add to our current home defense "items", being unaware that Bushmaster was bought by Remington about 2 years ago and the entire manufacturing process and location changed and supposedly has impacted quality. Although I've been shooting my AR and haven't had any issues, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I'd say you should get to the range as often as you can, strip it down and clean it while doing a detailed visual examination and gain confidence in your gun. Congrats on your purchase.

1 in 9 is more for paper punching than Defense but it will serve you ok the 1 in 9 will effect you pick in rounds for it.

Sponsor
    I have no first hand experience with Predator Customs but their website foes not instill confidence in their quality. It seems to be all about looks. They talk more about the ceramic coating than the materials used for their BCGs and barrels.

For $900 I expect certain things. Mil-spec lower extension and 1-7 twist would be for starters. Are the gas key and castle nut properly Staked? Is the bolt & carrier MPI tested? My point is this; $900 is not an economy price. There are certainly higher priced AR's that may or may not be worth the premium, but you are assured of getting certain things for your money with most of them. Some of them are right at your price point or just barely above it. Odds are there is nothing "wrong" with your new AR but I would look closely at the few things I mentioned and keep them in mind when you decide to move onto a different EBR.

Have you gotten to the range and sighted it in yet? If so how far from mechanical zero are you?

ETA:
    BTW, your flip ups look like MBUS rather than Yankee Hill Machine BUIS, and I wonder why they spec a rear flip up and no front flip up on a flat top upper.
    zacii and atctimmy like this.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Distinguished Member
    Not familiar with the gun but did want to say congratulations on getting one and welcome to the site

As long as you have fun with the gun it's all Happy!
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

VIP Member
    The rail looks like UTG to me and Rich is right, those sights are Magpul.

Just for comparison, you could have purchased this week from CDNN:

a S&W M&P15 OR (flat top) for $769

or a Colt 6900 light weight carbine (flat top) for $899.
    StormRhydr and zacii like this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

OK...you asked....It strikes me as not being any particular brand. I agree with timmy. Around here we call them "Frankenguns". Ie like Frankenstein. Put together from various parts.

NOW...that doesnt mean its not a decent gun. It might well be. Honestly, I got my doubts, but at the price, you can probably get your money back out of it, especially if there is another mass shooting, or obama starts mouthing off about gun control again.

You can buy new colts for about that price that are GTG at walmart. That would have been the way to go, in the price range, in my opinion.

The Bolt Carrier is what Id be interested in. Ie there are 3 main types. The full auto one having the most metal in it. The sport having the least, and the "enhanced AR" being in the middle.

Id learn how to maintain it, clean it, etc., and then shoot the hello out of it. Push it to the point of failure, (if you can), and enjoy it till you are ready to upgrade.

How do I tell what bolt carrier is in it? I know the bolt and barrel are stamped 5.56

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links