What kind of optic do you prefer for your defensive rifle?

This is a discussion on What kind of optic do you prefer for your defensive rifle? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just curious...

View Poll Results: What type of optic do you prefer for your defensive rifle

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Irons

22 19.82%
  • Red dot

76 68.47%
  • Fixed power Scope

0 0%
  • Adjustable power Scope

13 11.71%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: What kind of optic do you prefer for your defensive rifle?

What kind of optic do you prefer for your defensive rifle?

Just curious
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

2. Remove Ads

Aimpoint for my Fighting Rifle.

Eotech 512 good to 100 yards past that
    I am to old to see recently saw a trijicon big eye red dot looks like it would open up your peripheral vision from standard red dot
    JDavisArk and rigel42 like this.

Some form of red dot. AR#1 has an EOTech, AR#2 has an AImpoint H-1. I like the EOT's 65 MOA circle, but I love being able to leave the Aimpoint on all the time.
    Bad Bob and Chaplain Scott like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Iron sights.

Tried multiple optics across multiple firearms and never much liked them.
    Eagleks likes this.
    British by birth. American by choice.

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    All i have on mine right now is a Truglo open red/green dot sight.It's better than nothing to me and i don't usually go past 75 yrds anyway.The main reason i bought my ar is simply for recreational shooting.I have made it known that if santa claus happened to drop off a Vortex Strikefire Red/Green dot sight that would be really cool.There is one in particular i would love to have,but it's out of santa's price range i'm pretty certain.

I'm with Easy8 on this.

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    Used my EOTech in an IDPA side match the other day. It's like magic.

VIP Member
    Aimpoint PRO.
    Bad Bob, Darrow75 and scgunlover1 like this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I voted Irons, but that's only because that's all I've got right now. I'm poor, so...it'll have to wait.

When I can afford whatever I want, I'll have a red dot on my carbine, and an ACOG RCO on my rifle (and by rifle, I mean my 20"bbl, rifle length gas system AR). For those that are unfamiliar with the ACOG, it is a fixed 4x.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

I'd go with either an EOTech or an Aimpoint. I really like the reticle that the EOTechs use, but I'm not sure if there's a major difference between EO and aimpoint.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    I'd go with either an EOTech or an Aimpoint. I really like the reticle that the EOTechs use, but I'm not sure if there's a major difference between EO and aimpoint.
    The reticle really comes in handy for changing point of aim at different distances. I use the bottom at close range, works great.

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    Iron, because it's a PITA to mount anything on an StG.58. If it was not such a hassle I'd have a nice Leupold DeltaPoint reflex sight on it.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

RKM
    I think a red dot is going to be the winner by a large margin for fairly obvious reasons. Some people don't like them as they don't work well with their eyes, and some don't like them just because they're more old fashioned, and that's fine. But in my opinion, they're superior in every way to any other kind of optic or iron sights for defensive use. Unlike irons, they're accurate with an inconsistent sight picture due to being parallax free, making the sight easy and quick to get on target. Also, ease of shooting both eyes open (not impossible with irons, but not as easy). You can use irons through them, co-witnessing, unlike a magnified scope. So if the red dot fails... you don't need to removed the optic to use your irons. A magnified scope not likely to fail the same way a red dot would, but if it did, removable would be necessary, unless you run offset irons.

They're just the all around best option, I think. Within 7 yards, you'll likely be point shooting, even with a rifle. But 15-200 yards, they'll easily put rounds on a man sized target at 200 yards. Past 200 yards, I'd prefer a bolt gun with a magnified optic. Not so "defensive" at that distance, though.

Another 'plus' for red dots is that for those of us who 'enjoy' presbyopia ("old age eyes"), if your distance vision is decent, the red dot allows you hits without messing around with scope focus. If you use corrective lenses of any sort, your scope focus will vary depending on use with that correction or not. I showed up at a Tac .22 match last month without my 1.75 diopter magnifiers, and had a heck of a time getting my scope focused. The RDS eliminates that as a concern.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links