Shotgun Suggestions for Bird Hunting

This is a discussion on Shotgun Suggestions for Bird Hunting within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Greetings All, I'm in the market for a hunting shotgun. I've never done any hunting to speak of, except for wild hogs and varmints. Made ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Shotgun Suggestions for Bird Hunting

Greetings All,

I'm in the market for a hunting shotgun. I've never done any hunting to speak of, except for wild hogs and varmints. Made a couple of trips hunting ducks & geese in the marsh a long time ago, but decided it wasn't for me. Here's the situation:

Some friends of mine are very much into upland bird hunting; especially quail. My wife has been encouraging me to give it a try, and has even announced that I'm getting a shotgun for my birthday in a couple of months. One thing I have never done is try to discourage my wife from buying guns for me! I already have a couple of shotguns, but they're HD-style. Short barrels and no chokes, so they're not well-suited at all for bird hunting.

I had pretty much decided on an 870, knowing that it's the go-to shotgun for thousands upon thousands of hunters, but then I started thinking perhaps I should consider a semi-auto rather than a pump, for a couple of reasons. First is the thought that my wife just might possibly be interested in shooting the gun herself. She is extremely recoil-sensitive, and I know she will NOT shoot a 12-gauge pump. I'm thinking the semi-auto might be just enough milder to make the difference. Second is the possibility of it seeing service as a defensive shotgun. The semi-auto might have a slight edge over the pumps, provided that it's not a scenario where the extra length is a handicap.

I'm not interested in downsizing to a 20-gauge; the gun is for me, and I'll need all the edge I can get as a novice bird hunter!

I (we) had not really planned on spending quite so much as a good semi-auto costs, but I'm thinking it might be worth the investment. Not (yet) being an avid bird hunter, and not knowing if I'll really get into it, I'm definitely "entry level". I'd like something nice, but don't want to go top shelf just yet. The leading contender right now is a Remington 11-87. With a store coupon that I have right now, I can get one brand new for $600, which seems like a very good deal to me. Any suggestions of comparable guns that I should consider before springing for the 11-87? I definitely do NOT want to go over about $650.

TIA for any suggestions.
    MJ54 likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Senior Moderator
    Take a look at the Mossberg 930
    You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.

― Robert A. Heinlein,

If it is a "Hunting Only" shotgun, the Rem 11-87 will be hard to beat for the money and should last a lifetime.

If you want a decent import, these are good ones with good warranties, 5 chokes and many extras, they come in synthetic, camo & walnut. ($500. delivered)
    Check Here: Linberta SA01L CAMO SEMI AUTO, 12ga, 28" $499.00 SHIPS FREE
    StormRhydr likes this.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Another vote for the 11-87. Damn good hunting gun points very well

stick with the 11-87

Spend money once Browning sx3

Another good option to the Rem 870 would be the Browning BPS. I loved my BPS....

I've been an upland bird hunter for 3 decades now... I think I can offer some modestly useful advice.

First off, here's a given: you will knock down more birds with a 12 than a 20... and these words come from a guy who hunted with a 20 gauge for over 20 years. The big tradeoff comes with the weight of the gun: if you're hunting hilly New England terrain for hours on end, that measly one pound less weight will mean you'll mount the gun faster and swing it truer at the end of the day. My 20 is a S&W M1000 autoloader which is a trim 6 pounds; my first 12 is an 870 Express which is about a pound and a half more. The 870 was bought for waterfowling once steel shot became the law, but it was carried on occasion for upland hunting, and it just felt really clunky at the end of the hunt.

When I finally had an opportunity to get an over-under, I chose a 12 gauge and one of my hunting partners gave me infinite grief about that, having carried a 20 for so long. Well, the nice thing about a 12 is that the ammo patterns better; a 1-ounce load in a 20 will 'string' the shot column measurably longer than 1 ounce in a 12. I'll venture that for quail hunting, you'd need a 3-inch magnum in 20 gauge to equal the effectiveness of a standard 12 ga load of 1-1/8 or 1-1/4 oz. The ammo makers have forever harped about how tightly their loads pattern, but realistically, most of your upland birds are taken within 30 yards or even closer. A tight pattern is necessary for tough birds like waterfowl and to some extent, pheasant, but for quail, dove and snipe a tight choke and a tight pattern won't bring home dinner.

On to the guns: Sure, you'll save money if you go for a pump, but having used an auto in the field for a long time I'd be hard-pressed to recommend a pump. The Remington 1100 and its offspring, the 11-87, are about the high point of 20th century autoloader technology. They function well with a wide range of ammo power (i.e., skeet loads to short magnum waterfowl loads) without adjustment, they handle nicely with 26- or 28-inch barrels, and it's hard to find a North American gunsmith who's challenged by the gun if it needs a fix. Given your price advantage, I'd say run, don't walk, to get thet 11-87 for $600. There are sexier guns out there (Beretta, Benelli and Winchester autos), but for twice the price. What I do hope for you is that the gun comes with screw-in chokes, as this can make a big difference in field performance.

Assuming you get the 11-87, down the road you can look for a short barrel with rifle sights for the HD role, but that can wait until you can afford it.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I have a shotgun available- Safe queen.

Terrible Defensive Carry gun for sale (DFW, TX)

NICE gun!!!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Administrator
    I'll second everything gasmitty said, I'm also an avid bird hunter.
    The 11-87 is a great gun for turkey, duck and deer, but would be darn near the bottom of my list for a upland bird gun. It's heavy and cumbersome. Upland hunting is more like hiking and maybe a little shooting. If you want to stick with Remington, a 1100 would be a far better choice.
    You can get a lower end beretta like the 3901, maybe simple Franchi, or one of the Dicks "benellis" near price range.
    All that said, the 11-87 would be a good starting point to get your feet wet as it would be easily adaptable to other roles if upland isn't your thing.
    Also in bird hunting, you step up to a 20ga from a 12.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    My quail hunting usally involves lots of walking and a few shots. I start the day with a 12ga SXS and usally end with an old H&R 20 ga Topper. Its a couple pounds lighter. I would not sugest the lighter gun for a Dove hunt where a lot of shooting is done. Ask your friends how much walking they do in a day. DR
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

This ought'a do the trick!

rail11.jpg
    (ckick to enlarge)

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    I hunted dove, quail, and chukar for years with my old Mossberg 500 w/ a 26" barrel w/ an adjustable poly choke. They were ugly but worked quite well. If you can find an older Winchester 1200 or Ithaca Mod 37 they are slick fast handling pump guns. If you are looking for a soft shooting semi-auto the Berettta 391 or Benelli's are great! BTW, if you do much dove shooting you will definitely want a soft shooting gun! Good luck!
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

You don't need any help from me, I can't do anything but blow holes in the sky with a shotgun...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links