removable mags ? - Page 2

removable mags ?

This is a discussion on removable mags ? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Watch yourself on putting 30 round magazines on a SKS (other than the SKS-D and related models that take AK magazines). There are questions about ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: removable mags ?

JT
    Watch yourself on putting 30 round magazines on a SKS (other than the SKS-D and related models that take AK magazines). There are questions about the legality. I have heard both arguments, and tend to agree with those who say it is illegal (unless you meet the US parts count). However, I no longer own a SKS so I haven’t studied it in depth for a while. Between the legal questions and the reliability problems of 30 round magazines made for the SKS, my opinion is stick with the 10 round magazine. If you want to use a 30 round, get an AK or a SKS. But that’s just my opinion.

Here are a couple of web sites addressing the issue…

http://www.victorinc.com/SKS-FAQ.html#_Toc138675116

Quote Originally Posted by ”SKS FAQ”
    In addition, in 1998 it became illegal to convert the SKS Carbine for use with aftermarket detachable high-capacity magazines. Such aftermarket magazines are prone to jamming and are often difficult to use, thus many owners quickly become disillusioned and revert to the original fixed magazine.

Note that while it is still legal under certain restrictive circumstances to convert an SKS Carbine to utilize detachable high-capacity magazines, reliability and usability problems persist. And doing such a conversion legally often involves more cost than simply purchasing a different rifle, one that already uses high-capacity magazines. Hence, while a large number of SKS owners have toyed with these magazines, most do not continue to use them.
    http://www.simonov.net/uberlaw.htm

From the magazine section….

Quote Originally Posted by ”simonov.net”
    I have yet to find anything regulating fixed magazines or what can or can not be done with them, but I can find plenty of restrictions regarding detachable magazines. U.S. made shotguns and 10/22's are commonly found with folding stocks simply because the fixed magazines make the firearm exempt from the limitations of 922(r). The same applies to the SKS. Take heed, some vendors claim to sell 30 round fixed magazines that are not what they say. If one can completely remove the magazine by simply activating the magazine release with the bolt back, this magazine is NOT fixed, but detachable. No matter what the vendor or manufacturer says, if it can be removed from the rifle without tools, it's detachable.
    I agree with the author that the so called “fixed 30 round magazines” are considered detachable by the ATF. He does go on to comment that he believes they are still legal. I’m not sure I would put enough faith in his logic to take this risk however.

Quote Originally Posted by ”simonov.net”

DETACHABLE MAGAZINES:
    EXPLANATION: 922(r) prohibits the assembly of a rifle banned from import. 922(v)(1) of Title 18, United States Code, Chapter 44 states that "it shall be unlawful for a person to manufacture, transfer, or possess a semiautomatic assault weapon". 921(a)(30) of Title 18, United States Code, Chapter 44 legally defines and lists the features that comprise a "semiautomatic assault rifle" . A SKS with a detachable magazine, two other listed features is illegal to possess. July 7th 1989 - "...it shall be unlawful to assemble FROM IMPORTED PARTS any semiautomatic rifle ... which is IDENTICAL to any rifle ... prohibited from importation." April 6, 1998 "It is now a violation ... to assemble any semiautomatic rifle that has the ability to accept a large capacity MILITARY magazine, if the rifle uses more than 10 imported parts." To me IDENTICAL more or less means interchangeable. A duckbill or adapter style detachable magazine is NOT identical and interchangeable with a AK-47 magazine. NO SKS has ever been imported into the US WITH a detachable magazine other than the AK-47 magazine. It's impossible to make a rifle IDENTICAL to that of the SKS-D (the only detachable magazine SKS) with a magazine other than the AK-47 MILITARY style magazine.
    If you do decide to go with a 30 round magazine, here is a review of various models...

http://www.simonov.net/magazines.htm
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

JT
    BTW – If anyone has definite proof that is legal or illegal to use these 30 round magazines, I would love to see it, because it is hard to find a concrete answer on the subject.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    I propose if one wishes to have a high capacity 30 cal rifle, to take a look at the M1A variants....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

JT
    That's a huge price jump from an SKS. An AK would probably be a more realistic upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post
    BTW If anyone has definite proof that is legal or illegal to use these 30 round magazines, I would love to see it, because it is hard to find a concrete answer on the subject.
    I'm a believer that adding a 30 round detachable mag is a violation of 992(r) if proper round count is not maintained. definite proof? USC 992(r) is about enough to convince me.
    but, and I can tell you know this from your post, some people seem to think that it isn't a violation. I don't know what their reasoning is for it being legal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links