removable mags ?

removable mags ?

This is a discussion on removable mags ? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Do the sks rifles come with them or do you have to do something else to get them to accept them,I see some advertised on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: removable mags ?

removable mags ?

Do the sks rifles come with them or do you have to do something else to get them to accept them,I see some advertised on gunbroker with 30 round mags,thanks. sj

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Honestly the sks is best served by the original 10 round mag , If you want 30s pony up for an ak . The conversion mags ( them duckbill suckers that fill the magwell ) are problematic , and all but a fiew of the conversion kits to put ak mags into an sks wont feed either . sks is like a garrand , takes a lot to make it go south , but trying to cram a mag in it can and usualy does .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

redneck,do they work off of stripper clips like the garand?thanks again. sj

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    I agree 110% with Redneck. The 30 rounders just complicate things, and usually make a reliable rifle iffy at best, and downright useless in some cases. Stick with the 10 rounders, and get an AK for shooting 30's.
    Fear No Evil.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Sj in my experiance , with the aftermarket mags , with fiddeling and " holding your mouth right " they will sometimes accept at least a partial load from a stripper , but its unreliable as hell .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I'm just trying to find out how they operate,I gues then that you just add the ammo 1 at a time to the mag,is that correct?thanks. sj

Senior Moderator
    A regular SKS uses 10 round stripper clips that are cheap and abundant, stay away from the add ons you don't need them

Quote Originally Posted by sjones View Post
    redneck,do they work off of stripper clips like the garand?thanks again. sj
    Nope, the SKS uses straight clips that hold 10 rounds in a row that is pushed straight down into the mag, kinda like a Mauser. The reason they are called stripper clips is because after you press the ammo into the internal magazine you "strip" (or pull) the metal clip up and out of the clip guide.
    The Garand has a 8 round box magazine that holds the ammo side by side. Of course with the Garand there are other capacity clips available.

Clips hold loose ammo and do not have followers or springs, magazines fully enclose the ammo, have a follower and a spring. It bothers me when people refer to magazines as clips, even though I know what they mean. Thank you for using the correct terms :D

I'd not fool with fitting high cap mags for your SKS, if you want high cap you should go for the AK ;)

I must be getting old and senile because I can remember pulling the cocking lever back,putting the clip into the reciever,releasing the cocking lever without getting your thumb mashed all to hell,then when you fire the last round,the clip flies out.am I wrong?thanks. sj

http://www.rt66.com/~korteng/SmallArms/m1clip.htm

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/SKS600-824-1878.html

The top link shows the clips (everything I see for them refers to them as clips and not magazines, the ammo is not fully enclosed, and there is not a spring in the clip, its part of the weapon) for the garand, which was inserted into the rifle. The second shows sks stripper clips, with which you line it up and then push the rounds off the stripper clip into the magazine. With the garand the bullets stay on the clip until fired, with the sks they go into the magazine
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by sjones View Post
    I must be getting old and senile because I can remember pulling the cocking lever back,putting the clip into the reciever,releasing the cocking lever without getting your thumb mashed all to hell,then when you fire the last round,the clip flies out.am I wrong?thanks. sj
    are you responding to my post? because if so I was explaining the mechanics of the SKS and only breifly discussed the Garand's clip and how it differs in holding the ammo.

In regards to an M1 Garand you are spot on!
    Sorry I left out the mechanics of how the Garand's clip and magazine system worked!

Senior Member Array ssssthesnake's Avatar
    as the di in boots said clips are what you put in your hair ladys lol magazines go in your weapon

Quote Originally Posted by ssssthesnake View Post
    as the di in boots said clips are what you put in your hair ladys lol magazines go in your weapon
    well your di never had to fool with a mauser, sks or garand but I applaud his actions in trying to get more people to understand what a magazine IS!

thanks for the input :D

Hekken,yes I was,The garand was what I was issued a whole lot of years ago when I went in the service along long ago in a galaxcy far far away.I think I remember now,it was called an enblock clip.That was before the mattel toy guns came out.sj

Lead Moderator
    yup, the enblock clip pops out with a nice ping noise. Unless you hat brim is in the way. then it sticks in the action and slows ya down
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links