new rifle

new rifle

This is a discussion on new rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; well i've been doing some window shopping for a new rifle and the one that seems to have caught my eye is the bushmaster carbon ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Kilowatt3

Thread: new rifle

new rifle

well i've been doing some window shopping for a new rifle and the one that seems to
    have caught my eye is the bushmaster carbon 15 superlite. found it on cheaper than
    dirt for about $706.00 dollars. i plan on hitting the gun show when it comes back to my
    neighborhood in two weeks and see what they have in store. also a couple gun shops
    around. i am wondering what those of you who have bushmasters think about them.
    decent pricing, quality etc. any kind of input good or bad would be greatly appreciated.
    thank you in advance.......
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

VIP Member
    I've had three Bushmasters, but that was well over a decade ago before I saw the light of the 7,62x51 cartridge.

All were reliable, accurate, and rugged rifles. I never had a complaint about owning a Bushmaster.

Now, I hear they are not owned by the same folks as in the past. If that is true, I can't speak for recent examples.
    I like all kinds of foreign guns.

"Arm yourself because no one else here will save you..."

I don't always use missiles, but when I do it's the Minuteman III LGM-30G

VIP Member
    JMHO, but I'd spend an extra $100 and get a S&W.
    StormRhydr and Bad Bob like this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Bushmasters generally are good to go. The carbon lower models, are generally not.

But none of it matters, if you enjoy your new weapon. Or enjoy it unless & until you buy something else that you think you would like better.

So enjoy, learn, and move on.

I recently bought a BM C15 with the red dot for under $700. I've been flamed for it on a few forums but the price was right and I believe it'll stand up to the occasional trip to the range and HD, when called for. I wouldn't expect it to hold up to putting hundreds of rounds down range on a frequent basis; word is the synthetic lower will eventually crack/fail. Also, BM sold out to Remington and moved their manufacturing back in the early 2000's and I've heard quality took a dive. IMO, it's been getting better.

With that being said, I love mine. The red dot is about as cheap as you can get but I've sighted it in at 50 yards and average 2" groupings; good enough for my needs. I'm looking to put a tactical light on it but that's about the extent of my mods. I picked up 2 BM mags and 4 Magpul Gen 3's with the window. They all work fine.

As far as ammo, I tend to find American Eagle AE223J for about $7.99/20 rds and stock up on it. I should have some Independence 5.56 coming tomorrow that I also paid $7.99 for so we'll see how it shoots that. BM customer service says the C15 can shoot both 5.56 and .223.

All-in-all, I'm enjoying the gun. I could have bought more a expensive (and more regarded by forum folk) but the price and timing was right. Good luck with yours and keep us posted on how you do. Be sure to watch a few videos on how to clean it. I find my AR-15 easier to clean than ANY of my handguns (well, except my wife's revolver), including dismantling of the BCG.

You're obviously a Glock guy...so plastic is fantastic. But not exactly in a lower for an AR-15. I've had Bushmasters as well over the years.....but that was back when. The lean manufacturing or re-engineering aint cool in my book. Kids gotta buy what's available now....they got no choice. It is what it is I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    well after doing some more window shopping, i'm kinda leaning toward the s&w m&p 15 sport. looks like a nice rifle. saw a price of around $706.00 on cheaper than dirt. theres a gun show coming to town next weekend so i'll be doing some more window shopping and see what there might be in store. the sport ammo and such. no real hurry to pick one up maybe in the next few weeks. thanks again for the input.....
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    JMHO, but I'd spend an extra $200 to buy it from anywhere but Cheaper than Dirt.

I'm sort of surprised that they are selling those dangerous killing machines to the untrained public again...

Ammunition, Magazines, Rifle Parts, Bulk Ammo and Rifle Accessories - Palmetto State Armory

Buy one of theirs when they put some up for sale. Great rifle from a great company.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links