Wading in all the .308 options...

This is a discussion on Wading in all the .308 options... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi, So I have been thinking about getting a .308 semi-auto lately and have realized that there seem to be a ton of options as ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Wading in all the .308 options...

VIP Member

Wading in all the .308 options...

Hi,

So I have been thinking about getting a .308 semi-auto lately and have realized that there seem to be a ton of options as of late. There is the classic M1A, S&W M&P 10, Sig 716, Ruger 762, etc...

Here is my issue, I have always wanted an M1A, but I get the feeling I may not be happy if I do. I really don't like forward mounted scopes very much and I can't see putting a red dot on a caliber that can reach out there, but for some reason I feel drawn to one. Some of this may be the folklore of the M1A from all the fanboys out there, but it sure does draw a crowd.

Though it pains me to say this, I am heavily leaning towards the new Ruger 762, it just has a ton of features for the money. It's barely more then the S&W M&P 10 and has a chrome BCG, Piston driven, Free floated rail, three Magpul Mags, etc...

Any thoughts or pointers will be considered...
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

2. Remove Ads

I've had a Ruger SR556 (standard model) for over two years now. It is by far the best AR rifle I've ever owned (and I've had a few). The Ruger piston system works great and the gun stays clean and cool. (It could use a lighter trigger, though).

If I wanted a semi .308, I would jump at the SR762 for the same reasons I love my SR556. But I don't really want one though. My next rifle will most likely be the Ruger GSR (a bolt gun). For reasons even I can't explain, I really am drawn to that goofy scout rifle.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old schooler here! My choice in .308 semi-auto rifle is the FN-FAL.
    Wunderneun and Chuck808 like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Hi,

So I have been thinking about getting a .308 semi-auto lately and have realized that there seem to be a ton of options as of late. There is the classic M1A, S&W M&P 10, Sig 716, Ruger 762, etc...

Here is my issue, I have always wanted an M1A, but I get the feeling I may not be happy if I do. I really don't like forward mounted scopes very much and I can't see putting a red dot on a caliber that can reach out there, but for some reason I feel drawn to one. Some of this may be the folklore of the M1A from all the fanboys out there, but it sure does draw a crowd.

Though it pains me to say this, I am heavily leaning towards the new Ruger 762, it just has a ton of features for the money. It's barely more then the S&W M&P 10 and has a chrome BCG, Piston driven, Free floated rail, three Magpul Mags, etc...

Any thoughts or pointers will be considered...
    Then stick with the standard m1a's and put a good scope on it that's not scout mounted. I've got one set up as counter sniper with standard bdc 800 yrd scope and it also will accept the mount with the an-pvs4 n/v scope. Most m1a's aren't set up for forward mounted scopes.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

JMB
    I too like the FN/FAL but a friend has the SIG 716 and it is surprisingly accurate. I have no experience with the others with the exception of the M14/M1A.

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    Definitely consider the FAL/StG.58 rifles. These too can be surprisingly accurate. They are also easy to maintain, and reliable to a fault. They're also built like tanks. Some even weigh nearly as much. Well, no, not really, but they will be heavier than nearly anything in 5.56mm.

Some say they have a problem with the ergonomics of the H&K G3/91 series of rifles. I have not found that to be true. I love 'em as much as the StG.58, but they aren't as cheap as the H&K rifles. PTR is building clones of the G3/91, but you want to be sure you get a mil-spec rifle and not a target rifle unless you will be shooting Federal Gold match on a daily basis. The chambers on the target/match rifles is out of spec to that of H&K and are too tight to cycle reliably with surplus ammo. Don't even ask me how I know that. Trust me, after three rifles and many, many phone calls I gave up. Two years later they had a mil-spec version out. I would have bought that to begin with had they offered it back in '01.

Please do consider both of these rifles before you jump on the AR fanboy bandwagon.

Another top contender in the FN-SCAR-17. A bit too much plastic for me, but if I had the bucks it would be at the top of my list if for nothing more than the cool factor. Don't know how rugged or dependable these models are. I'm just throwing it out there for consideration.

I'm holding out for the SIG 751 SAPR but I don't know if they will ever build it here, or import it from Switzerland through Germany.

Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

I have no experience with .308 semi autos, but if I had to get one, Id probably look heavily into a FAL type weapon. They are just cool.

VIP Member
    Hi,

My issue with the FAL rifles are the weight. I am seriously considering using the .308 for hunting as well.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I just weighed my StG.58 for you.

11.8 lbs with a loaded magazine and a sling. Hey, on the up side, it does have a carry handle. I've humped this rifle around for 4-5 miles at a stretch. It's not too bad.
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I've long been happy with my M1A. I'm still in the iron sights mode though. If I was going to scope it, it wouldn't be with some forward mounted "scout" configuration but would configure it as AzQkr says. I have no use for the forward mounted scope on a rifle.

I don't own the FN FAL but have a friend who has one. It's a very satisfactory rifle for big .30 caliber shooting. I'm still not too old yet to be concerned with weight and wouldn't find either the M1A or the FAL to be a chore to carry if an extended hike was necessary to get to the good deer hunting spot. Of course I'm not toting one all day around Camp Pendleton or something either.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

JMB
    Quote Originally Posted by Wunderneun View Post
    I just weighed my StG.58 for you.

11.8 lbs with a loaded magazine and a sling. Hey, on the up side, it does have a carry handle. I've humped this rifle around for 4-5 miles at a stretch. It's not too bad.
    Do you know what it weighs without a loaded magazine?

10.4 Lbs. Is that important? It's just a big heavy stick without a loaded mag.
    atctimmy likes this.

AR-10

I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

JMB
    Quote Originally Posted by Wunderneun View Post
    10.4 Lbs. Is that important? It's just a big heavy stick without a loaded mag.
    Really? Yeah, I wanted to know how much the loaded 20 rd mag weighed...thanks

My M1A has been truly awesome thus far. I don't know how much my comments are of value, since I have no optics on it nor do I intend to put any on there. It is a base model with iron sights, completely stock. FWIW, I would love an FN SCAR17S. If I get another .308 semi-auto, it will likely be that, and it should handle whatever optic you see fit to put on there just fine. I would still never part with my M1A.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links