Thoughts on Saiga sporting rifles ???>>>>>>>

This is a discussion on Thoughts on Saiga sporting rifles ???>>>>>>> within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just wanted to hear people's opinion and experiences with the Saiga sporting rifles. A co-worker and I were looking at something either in 7.62x39 ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By shadowwalker
  • 2 Post By 1959

Thread: Thoughts on Saiga sporting rifles ???>>>>>>>

Thumbs up Thoughts on Saiga sporting rifles ???>>>>>>>

I just wanted to hear people's opinion and experiences with the Saiga sporting rifles. A co-worker and I were looking at something either in 7.62x39 or .308. Need something inexpensive, yet fun and reliable that can be used for when SHTF. Also how hard and how much would it cost average to convert to AK style ??? Thank you for any info. God Bless

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    I have never owned a Saiga but a couple buddies of mine have them. They shoot very well and seem to be better quality than some of the current import AK's. The only drawback is the magazines are different but they can be modded to take the standard AK mags fairly easy. Good luck!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    I have a Saiga .223 and I love it nothing stops it from working and I would not trade or sell for any price.
    NONAME762 likes this.

If your handy with aa dremel, the conversion is not bad, and can be done for a couple hundred bucks, but pay attention to 922r compliance.

I had a Saiga in .308...garbage. Trigger had reset issues. Stove-pipe jams. And it would not hold anything I would call a "group." Oh...and when I cleaned out the factory grease, I found dead bugs inside. Finish came off every time I cleaned it.

Absolutely the biggest piece of excrement I have ever owned.

If you want inexpensive, fun, and reliable, get a lever gun. Another option is the nice CZ bolt gun in 7.62 x 39.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I have a 7.62x39 had it for years no problems converting it wasn't to bad took a bit but worked out ok. Huh I need to get some ammo for that thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    I had a 223 converted by tromix. Spectacular gun. I still hate the ak platform but if I had to turn to one that is the onebi would pick.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk 2
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Too much dependable stuff out there to spend money on questionable stuff
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    Too much dependable stuff out there to spend money on questionable stuff
    The Saiga is the Glock of AK 47s, and AK 47s are one of the most reliable of that type of rifle.
    5lima30ret and NONAME762 like this.

Love mine

I have the Saiga in 308 that is converted and love it. It shoots under 1 1/4 with tula 308 ammo in it.

steve

Check this out all the parts you need to do it Saiga Conversion Parts List : Mississippi Auto Arms, Inc ::, Your Source for Saiga, AK47, AR15, Tromix, Glock, and SKS firearms and accessories" and here is step by step Shooting Enthusiast - Saiga Conversion and check youtube out plenty of great videos.

I know if you live in a non free state they are great as there is no pistol grip etc so you can run drop free mags no problem. But most people do convert them . They are as close as you can get a true russian ak . I mean great chrome barrels etc. My gunsmith has a couple of them . Personal I would have him do it cause I know how some of my gunsmith project go. But if you are handy it is not that hard.

Saiga aks are seen as some of the best right now aks out there if converted right...

Also not sure where OP lives but I know in CA they are popular if you don't want to deal with a mag lock. I know they are banned in CT unless they are not in 7.62x39 I think NY banned them by name (?) but other then thous place they are great cause if you travel to ban states it is a way to have a ak firepower with you without the ak part....

Better made then IO ceaser rifle that is for sure ....

Thank you everyone for your replies and sharing your experiences. I live in a FREE state and I am praying to God that it remains a free state after the upcoming Govenor's election this coming Tuesday. I will be out voting for the RIGHT Candidate and I hope that all of you Virginia residents do the same and to tell your friends and family to do the same too. As for the Saiga, I am still debating on getting one and doing the conversion or to just get a Sig 556R, or maybe a Ruger Mini 30 Tactical. God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by 1959 View Post
    The Saiga is the Glock of AK 47s, and AK 47s are one of the most reliable of that type of rifle.
    In June 2010 I went camping with some friends. One of them had one of those new fangled Saiga 12G. It was magazine fed. At one point he handed it to me and I fired 2 or 3 rounds. When I pulled the trigger it went bang. I liked it. TBT I LOVE the idea of a magazine fed 12G. Tho for my money I'd want a drum mag w/20-25R capacity. But that's just me. The Saiga 12G I shot was an AK action. This was the first mag fed 12G I'd ever shot and just the second time I'd ever seen a mag fed 12G in my whole life and I'm kinda old.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

I know I want a sig 556r myself . Make sure you get a newer gen 2 gun !! The first ones had a lot lot of problems . Also they don't take drums . But for me it is a refined looking ak . Personal I like having one nice ak ( saiga ,,sig 556r , pre 89 etc) and one to play with add a slide fire etc ( wsar 10/63 etc you can add almost anything to thous >>) .

Also note the mini 30 is a bit tricky on ammo I hear ie some don't like the cheep old steel case stuff just brass (good for the range but not for wallet >>). Plus check the price of the mags out ... I like paying 10 bucks for ak mags not 30-40 bucks a mag for mini 30 and they only come in 20 round version . Once in a while daddy likes to slap 40 or 75 rounds home for giggles ..

But it is your call and I look foward to hearing what you did .

And ps the saiga 12 is a lot of fun once you tweak them , I mean a 20 round 12 gauge ...

Right now, I am leaning towards the Saiga and then converting it to an AK, and the Sig 556R is running close behind LOL. God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    I know I want a sig 556r myself . Make sure you get a newer gen 2 gun !! The first ones had a lot lot of problems . Also they don't take drums . But for me it is a refined looking ak . Personal I like having one nice ak ( saiga ,,sig 556r , pre 89 etc) and one to play with add a slide fire etc ( wsar 10/63 etc you can add almost anything to thous >>) .

Also note the mini 30 is a bit tricky on ammo I hear ie some don't like the cheep old steel case stuff just brass (good for the range but not for wallet >>). Plus check the price of the mags out ... I like paying 10 bucks for ak mags not 30-40 bucks a mag for mini 30 and they only come in 20 round version . Once in a while daddy likes to slap 40 or 75 rounds home for giggles ..

But it is your call and I look foward to hearing what you did .

And ps the saiga 12 is a lot of fun once you tweak them , I mean a 20 round 12 gauge ...

Links