My 1st AR build

This is a discussion on My 1st AR build within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have finally talked myself in to it So far I have successfully assembled my stripped spikes lower. spikes lower parts kit, spikes buffer tube. ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By pittypat21
  • 1 Post By pittypat21

Thread: My 1st AR build

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar

My 1st AR build

I have finally talked myself in to it
    So far I have successfully assembled my stripped spikes lower. spikes lower parts kit, spikes buffer tube. Lower complete!
    Waiting on my spikes BCG, stripped upper and Bravo Co FSB.
    Any advise on a good barrel that wont break the bank? Right now I have about $519 in it. I will post pics later.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Sounds like you're off to a good start!
    I'm partial to Noveske barrels, however they tend to be on the pricey side of the market.
    You don't really need to spend a lot of money for a decent barrel, but absolutely stay away from any "no-name" products. Stick to something made by a known company.
    Spikes, CMMG, DPMS, etc. Make sure you buy one chambered for 5.56mm rather than .223 (so you'll have the option of shooting either) and spring the extra few bucks for a fully chrome lined barrel/chamber. Rifling can be 1:7, 1:8 or 1:9 - If you plan on shooting heavier bullets the 1:7, 1:8 might be better choices. a 1:9 twist is common in many civilian AR's and works well with most bullet weights. There's a lot of debate over twist rates, but it's not as critical as some might say for a civilian sport rifle.

Hope this build is a fun one! Keep us posted and take lots of pics :)
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    How about barrels from Joe Bob outfitters? I believe they have their own brand but reviews are scarce.

Quote Originally Posted by whoppo View Post
    Sounds like you're off to a good start!
    I'm partial to Noveske barrels, however they tend to be on the pricey side of the market.
    You don't really need to spend a lot of money for a decent barrel, but absolutely stay away from any "no-name" products. Stick to something made by a known company.
    Spikes, CMMG, DPMS, etc. Make sure you buy one chambered for 5.56mm rather than .223 (so you'll have the option of shooting either) and spring the extra few bucks for a fully chrome lined barrel/chamber. Rifling can be 1:7, 1:8 or 1:9 - If you plan on shooting heavier bullets the 1:7, 1:8 might be better choices. a 1:9 twist is common in many civilian AR's and works well with most bullet weights. There's a lot of debate over twist rates, but it's not as critical as some might say for a civilian sport rifle.

Hope this build is a fun one! Keep us posted and take lots of pics :)
    1:9 will do fine for 50, 55, 62gr, etc. Mostly what people are using. Unless you're reloading and using match bullets, the 1:9 will probably handle any ammo being sold.
    whoppo likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

munch520 likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Links