Question Regarding Iron Peep Sights

Question Regarding Iron Peep Sights

This is a discussion on Question Regarding Iron Peep Sights within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I own an SKS and have been using the traditional iron sights that are on it (slot at the rear, post on the barrel). My ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Question Regarding Iron Peep Sights

Question Question Regarding Iron Peep Sights

I own an SKS and have been using the traditional iron sights that are on it (slot at the rear, post on the barrel). My buddy talked me into trying out an improved sight - a peep sight similar to the M1 Garand. Here's a photo:

ts200-1.jpg

Now I really don't like peep sights, but I gave it a try as he promised improved accuracy. Well - it worked!

Target.jpg

That's my group from 50 yards. I could never do that with the old sights.

My question is why did the peep sights improve vastly over the original?
    bmcgilvray, dV8r and TDH1961 like this.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

Because your eye tunes the rear sight out and it's MUCH easier to focus on the front sight. My eyes aren't exactly the best, and peep sights have made a dramatic improvement on my ability to keep the front sight in focus on a rifle.

Yep, that'd be it. Your eye automatically centers the front sight and there's no out of focus (if you're my age) rear sight to contend with. Let alone halfway up on the barrel like yours used to be.
    I popped out the rear sight on my AK and installed a peep sight in place of it. Much easier to shoot now. I think it was made bt Krebs or somebody.
    mano3 and bmcgilvray like this.

So, all that talk about focusing on the front post is true!
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

Only disadvantage I have found is that it is tough to use in the dark unless you mark/illuminate the front sight post. My experience is quite limited, but the science behind the peep sight can not be denied! I have heard it compared to a X1 scope of the old days.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Tritium front post, ans you'd be all set.
    BigJon10125 and mano3 like this.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

I love the sights on the M-1 and M14. The sites work real well for me in Nam. The NM sites on my Match M1A are the best, even for a old fart.
    BigJon10125 and glockman10mm like this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Peep sights have been around a Long time and are still a valid way to target. I have them on my Hi-Point Carbine .45ACP and they work well out to 100yrds. I Like `em.

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    Lose a little peripheral vision, but your scores go up. They work very well with young eyes.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Longer sight radius. The short sight radius on a pistol is what make it so hard to master. There is a guy who name I cannot think of can hit consistently with a snubby upside down at 200 yards. With a 44 mag he can hit consistently with the gun right right side up at 600 yards. Peep sights allow more light around the front post. And the longer sight radius.
    Finally thought of his name Bob Landon. If you can watch Impossible Shots he is on there a lot. The man is a legend with a handgun.
    mano3 likes this.

They keep you from needing to focus on three objects at the same time.

And your full concentration is on the clear tip of the front sight post, where it should be.
    mano3, BigJon10125 and bmcgilvray like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by oldskeetshooter View Post
    Lose a little peripheral vision, but your scores go up. They work very well with young eyes.
    And even better with old eyes!

It also has to do with eyes that normally need glasses to focus properly, can focus when looking through a small hole. Try it, put a very small hole in a piece of stiff paper and look through it.
    bmcgilvray, ctr and dangerranger like this.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Quote Originally Posted by dV8r View Post
    And even better with old eyes!

It also has to do with eyes that normally need glasses to focus properly, can focus when looking through a small hole. Try it, put a very small hole in a piece of stiff paper and look through it.
    It helps the old eyes for me.
    bmcgilvray and dV8r like this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

VIP Member
    I can attest to the old eyes. Peeps are one of just 2 sights I can still use on a rifle. Semi Buckhorn being the other.

Brass front posts can be used for low light. They work, but not as nicely as a fiber front post.
    bmcgilvray and dV8r like this.

To bring thos scores up some more I put a peep or apiture sight front and back. Now I dont look at the front sight at all I look through them, and only have to focus on the target. Center ther rear sight on the front, and center the target in the front. Now my old eyes only have to focus on one thing. My eyes dont multi task well anymore. DR
    Aceoky and mano3 like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links