The cure for the common SBR

This is a discussion on The cure for the common SBR within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Gun Review: Sig SB15 Pistol Stabilizing Brace Review - The Firearm Blog http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...ilizing-brace/ SBR's (aka short barreled rifles) are fussy and expensive to get with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: The cure for the common SBR

Gun Review: Sig SB15 Pistol Stabilizing Brace Review - The Firearm Blog

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...ilizing-brace/

SBR's (aka short barreled rifles) are fussy and expensive to get with all sorts of nonsense extra background checks, tax stamps, strict "forbidden to even have parts in possession prior to the tax stamp from the BATF" and in some states like mine (MI), SBR's are outright outlawed.

Well Sig's new SB-15 "arm brace" is supposed to be a brace to stabilize ones arm while shooting a AR style "pistol". It's an interesting ruling by the ATF and there's no real requirement on how a gun with this stock/brace/whatever should be held or fired (see the attached articles).

What do you think?

I personally think I'll be saving up some money to get me a Sig AR pistol with SB-15 stock... err ... arm brace ;)
    Last edited by DetChris; October 31st, 2013 at 12:16 AM.

I think that "loose lips sink ships."

The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Pay to play, it's that simple. Spending $1-2k on a rifle, and squabbling over a $200 tax stamp is ludicrous IMO. Especially when all you have to do is purchase a $59 lower (from a company like PSA) and then send in the $200 check. $259 for an SBR...that's it! Then you have 6-9 months to build your upper. Which by the way doesn't cost any more or less than a 14.5 or 16.

Notice how all demo guns have what look to be 7.5" barrels...put a 11.5-12.5" barrel on that and see if you want to shoot it as pictured.

If I can't shoulder the gun, I mine as well be shooting a pistol (exaggeration but you get the idea). This and AR pistols are stupid.

ETA: they're not fussy if they're built right. They're fussy because everyone and their inbred brother are 'building' ARs nowadays. These idiots need to stop messing with guns and go back to picking boogers and drooling on themselves.
    Monotony is the awful reward for the careful

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

Lead Moderator
    Seems like a bad idea. While ATF may say it is ok now, they could reverse their opinion at any time too. MI was looking to pass a SBR law I believe, why not wait and see if it goes through?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

If folks want that thing, and that makes them happy, Im fine with them being able to buy it. Me, if I won that thing in a raffle, Id sell it so fast it would make your head spin, and buy a good Colt, DD, BC, or Spikes AR, and be very happy with it.
    dangerranger likes this.

Senior Moderator
    I've played around with them and I'm not impressed.

As the owner of several SBRs though, I might be biased.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    lAs the owner of several SBRs though, I might be biased.
    I the interest of full disclosure, me too.

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

Quote Originally Posted by munch520 View Post
    Pay to play, it's that simple. Spending $1-2k on a rifle, and squabbling over a $200 tax stamp is ludicrous IMO. Especially when all you have to do is purchase a $59 lower (from a company like PSA) and then send in the $200 check. $259 for an SBR...that's it! Then you have 6-9 months to build your upper. Which by the way doesn't cost any more or less than a 14.5 or 16.

Notice how all demo guns have what look to be 7.5" barrels...put a 11.5-12.5" barrel on that and see if you want to shoot it as pictured.

If I can't shoulder the gun, I mine as well be shooting a pistol (exaggeration but you get the idea). This and AR pistols are stupid.

ETA: they're not fussy if they're built right. They're fussy because everyone and their inbred brother are 'building' ARs nowadays. These idiots need to stop messing with guns and go back to picking boogers and drooling on themselves.
    That is ludicrous. Who cares how much he spent on it? Why would anybody want to give the government their money to squander or worthless social programs?

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Seems like a bad idea. While ATF may say it is ok now, they could reverse their opinion at any time too. MI was looking to pass a SBR law I believe, why not wait and see if it goes through?
    Yup know fully well about that. But our electorate is a weird bunch. All we need is some other tragedy to happen involving guns and the mainly democratic populous will lather up, and our blood red republican governor and congress will freeze up. Just like when Snyder chickened out of abolishing GFZ's after sandy hook.

Anyway, the ATF itself classified the brace as a supplement to the AR style pistol. Buying one is nothing illegal. If they were to change their mind (or threaten to - but heck they haven't changed their mind on bump fire stocks yet) then I'll just remove the brace and dump it in the garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I think that "loose lips sink ships."

Not saying anything the second article in my OP didn't already say ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    That is ludicrous. Who cares how much he spent on it? Why would anybody want to give the government their money to squander or worthless social programs?
    This made me giggle. I was going to write up a serious reply and just couldn't bring myself to because I was giggling.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    What in the...? Do you pay taxes? Is your paycheck taxed?

Administrator
    I used to be in the anti AR pistol crowd, right up until I bought one on a whim. I actually like it.

Anyway, the biggest issue I have with the whole SBR route is traveling with the gun. The main reason I wanted it was for multi state road trips.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I used to be in the anti AR pistol crowd, right up until I bought one on a whim. I actually like it.

Anyway, the biggest issue I have with the whole SBR route is traveling with the gun. The main reason I wanted it was for multi state road trips.
    That's a good point. I always fill out a couple 5320s to various states with the date range for the entire calendar year. That usually covers me.

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    many beneifits to an ar pistol
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links