Shotgun Basics: Pistol Grip???

This is a discussion on Shotgun Basics: Pistol Grip??? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Can anybody enlighten me about shotgun pistol grips with shoulder butstocks. What are the pros and cons of a butstock with and without a pistol ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Shotgun Basics: Pistol Grip???

Shotgun Basics: Pistol Grip???

Can anybody enlighten me about shotgun pistol grips with shoulder butstocks. What are the pros and cons of a butstock with and without a pistol grip? I have very limited experience with a standard montecarlo butstock on a 12 guage pump. A daylong shotgun training class is in the future.

I recently picked up a mossberg semi-auto 20 gauge without standard butstock and have a 930 SPX with pistol grip on order. I tried unsuccessfully to add a pistol grip butstock to the SA20. It looks like the 20 gauge will remain a standard butstock so now I am thinking it best to get the 930SPX without pistol grip.

As I see it the main positive to a butstock with pistol grip is added stability if you have to shoot without the buttock to your shoulder although there will bee much more stability if you can bring the butstock to your shoulder.

What are the negatives to a butstock with pistol grip?

2. Remove Ads

What I have picked up from those in the fighting shotgun forum, its almost all negative on pistol grips for shotgun stocks. The exception being for use in breaching a door.
    Bad Bob and Harryball like this.

Can you sight specific negatives? I can see how I could be Hollywooded about the tacticool need for a pistol grip but I would like specific negitives of a pistol grip. I can't see many scenarios where I would clear my house with a shotgun. Most likely it would be used to secure my family in the "safe room" the 20 gauge semi is something the wife could shoot in a pinch if need be. Thanks for the info again.

I can't give ya any negatives from my experience. I love the pistol grip on my saiga-12. Has the exact same ergos as my other AKs. No need for a change in mindset from shotgun to rifle and back again.

As long as the pistol grip has the stock, you will be fine. The only issue I have had with the pistol grip stocks is the location of the slide release on pump Mossbergs. With the traditional stocks, you can press the slide release no problems. With the pistol grip it is not as easy. You running semi autos, you should be fine.

A pistol grip with a shoulder stock is just fine. A plain pistol grip alone is fun to play with at the range every now and again, but for serious use, you will want a stock.

With only a pistol grip and no stock you pretty much have to hip fire. At 7 yards with buckshot, just firing from the hip it's easy to miss the target entirely.
    Smitty901 and tcox4freedom like this.

You'll never catch me running a shotgun with anything other than a traditional stock.

Can't cite any reasons. Ask guys in the service and cops why they DON'T run pistol grip stocks.

I had a Benelli Super 90 with a PG ran it for a year and dumped it. It had 2 things I do not like on shotguns, sights and the PG. I just could not get used to it, the PG seemed very cumbersome for CQB.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

VIP Member
    I can't tell you any specific negatives to running a pistol grip. But what I can tell you is that it serves no purpose for anything you're going to be doing with the shotgun. If you just want to look cool that's fine- but don't expect us to justify your decision.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    You'll never catch me running a shotgun with anything other than a traditional stock.

Can't cite any reasons. Ask guys in the service and cops why they DON'T run pistol grip stocks.
    Probably based on my technique and training more than anything, but for me the pistol grip has always hung up more than a traditional stock. Can't quite seem to be smooth with a pistol grip, handling-wise. Like you, give me a traditional stock every time.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The pros are a pistol grip allows you to hold the shotgun at the ready, against your shoulder while reloading, more easliy. You can also carry the shotgun high and tight against your body like an M4 and use the same techniques.
    The cons, at least what I've noticed, is the pistol grip can hang up when transitioning to a sidearm. It seems to disrupt the flow of the shotgun up and over my head. That could also be related to the way the sling attaches to the folding stock of my Benelli M4. I need to come up with a new technique or something.

fishing and shotgun 010.jpgfishing and shotgun 011.jpgI am left handed ,a pistol grip is in the way when I roll a shotgun to my left to reload,because my shell holder is also on the left side of my shotgun.I solved the problem by replacing my knox recoil pistol grip stock with the magpul stock...it in my opinion is the best of both worlds for stability and shootability.As far as pistol grip only .......well, I see no reason to limit the capabilities of the platform.You can hip shoot with a stocked shotgun but it is very difficult to point shoot or place slugs accurately with a shotgun equipped with pistol grip only.
    The easy way is always mined.

My Mossberg Persuader came with a pistol-grip, stock. Figured it'd be good for home defense in that configuration - I don't shoot clay pigeons or real ones, the gun is for close work only. A few boxes of shells at the range demonstrated that aiming the gun with a pistol grip is possible, but difficult. So I added a Butler Creek folding stock to the gun and immediately I had comfort and accuracy with multiple options for stance and presentation. Like night and day.

It's just like everybody says.

But don't take my word for it. Prove it to yourself. Run the gun with and without a shoulder stock and make up your own mind.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I've got both styles, and actually have both styles on the same shotgun--two M1S90's, one with a standard buttstock, and one with the pistol-grip "tactical" buttstock.

I somewhat prefer the standard buttstock, but that mught be because Benelli's "tactical" buttstock is a touch too long for me...I'm just trying to decide if I want to put a standard, or get a Mesa reduced LOP stock for it.

Really, I think it comes down to personal preference, and in order to figure it out, you need to spend time with both.

However, pistol-grip only (that is, no buttstock at all, just turning your shotgun into a big unwieldy handgun) shotguns are, in my opinion, tacticool silliness. Sure, they look neat, and if that is what one wants in their shotgun, by all means, have at it. However, don't try to tell me that they have any real utility, because beyond allowing it to fit in a smaller case--they don't.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    I still have my old Eastfield 'manufactured by smith and wesson' [lol] 12 ga. It has a pistol grip on it and unless your shooting 'low brass' fiield loads.[ which you wouldn't be using for SD] It's quite the handful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links