J. C. Higgins 16ga Bolt Action Shotgun

This is a discussion on J. C. Higgins 16ga Bolt Action Shotgun within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Long post, I know, but bear with me for the moment. I finally convinced my father to let me store some firearms in my new ...

Thread: J. C. Higgins 16ga Bolt Action Shotgun

Long post, I know, but bear with me for the moment.

I finally convinced my father to let me store some firearms in my new gun safe. Since our burglary last December and having unsecured ones, I fear that my parents house might be targeted by thieves. We are having a rash of burglary these days.

Among the one's I brought to put in the safe is a J.C. Higgins model 583.18 16 gauge bolt-action shotgun. I had almost forgotten about it. I had used it many years ago to squirrel hunt. I'm not certain where my dad acquired it, I do believe it belonged to my paternal grandfather. He also had a Winchester model 97 that "disappeared" with my drunk for an uncle and probably was traded for beer but I digress.

The shotgun seems to be in good shape, what research I did was that it was sold by Sears & Roebuck in the 1950's. Some sources say the bolt stop has problem. It is basically a screw set into the rear of the receiver to stop the rearward sliding of the bolt to extract the shotgun shell when the action is pulled. Some sources say the 12gauge shotgun had the worst problem with that screw, and that the bolt could potentially injure the shooter by flying back when a round is discharged. The one on the 16 that I have seems to be very tight.

I cleaned it, looked like it had not been done so for awhile. I even removed the bolt by taking out that stop screw and made sure it wasn't stripped or wouldn't stay loose. That was before I found out this could be a problem for the gun.

Is this gun worth keeping? I know that it has not been used for quite sometime. My dad uses my Springfield 20ga pump and his Marlin .22 auto to hunt Squirrel with so I really have no idea what do to with this shotgun.

Would it be useful in home defense? I'm just clueless on this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Does it have a two round detachable mag?
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    Does it have a two round detachable mag?
    Nope. It has the standard spring-loaded magazine tube that I believe holds 5 rounds.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

It is your fathers gun keep it for the memories . I am not sure the worth of it but most thous pre 68 sears guns are not worth much . But you could have it apprise or check out gun-broker you never know ..

As for HD I would just get a pump or semi 12 gauge and leave the bolt action in the safe for memories . 16 gauges is harder to find and personal the only bolt gun I would like for HD is a lee enfield if you know about the mad minute you know why

I just looked at gunbroker and they seem to go for 100 bucks but who know you might have a odd models or the such . I cant seem to find it in my blue book though.

My wife's grandpa had (which I have now) a JC Higgins 12G- stamped with the Sears & Robuck & JC Higgins marks- took to my local smith, they tested and shot and offered me $350 for it... NOPE.... I'm keeping mine, suggest you keep your beauty too....
    R.M.G.O.-Member
    NRA-Life Member

Sponsored Links