Spikes Tactical ST-T2 buffer

This is a discussion on Spikes Tactical ST-T2 buffer within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; For anyone who's been thinking about buying this buffer, this is a short review and recommendation. After years of shooting M16s and AR15s in service ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Chorizo
  • 3 Post By SIXTO
  • 1 Post By munch520

Thread: Spikes Tactical ST-T2 buffer

For anyone who's been thinking about buying this buffer, this is a short review and recommendation. After years of shooting M16s and AR15s in service and as civilian, I've spent plenty on optics, rails, stocks, internals, etc. Just recently purchased the Spikes Tactical ST-T2 buffer for an 11.5" carbine with MagPul stock and put 140 rounds through it this past weekend at the range. Let me tell ya.......best $39 I ever spent on an AR15 for less recoil, sound, and consistency shot-to-shot. The product is worth the price IMO and then some! No plug here, just honest personal experience and advice. Best mod I've ever made to any of my AR15s.

Administrator
    I've got one in my 11.5 too, I'll 2nd whats posted above.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    As you change buffers, be aware that function is also ammo, gas port location and buffer/spring type dependent. You want your brass landing at around 0430 normally. Overgassed (or too light of a buffer) will put your brass at 0100 and undergassed will have failure to function. But don't overthink the location of the ejection. It will depend upon the weakest ammo you have AND most importantly, if your weapon functions.

With that said, I have the T2 spikes in my mid-lenth 16 " carbine guns and it is the perfect thing for that gun and the ammo I shoot with it. But I have another carbine length gun that needs a H3 buffer.

It isn't just as simple as tossing in a new buffer and calling it good. Here is a good tutorial from some pros on tuning a M4

Tuning the Gun 101
    atctimmy likes this.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

NRA Life Member since 1972

Actually......I don't care where my brass lands. I pick all of it up. At the range going through a 100rd drum mag this past weekend.......some went 10 miles to the south....others landed within 30ft. Hits are what I'm concerned with...not where my brass lands. It is what it is.

Administrator
    My brass all lands in a fairly neat pile. The lead lands in a much nicer pile than the brass.
    OldVet, munch520 and GraySkies like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    My brass all lands in a fairly neat pile. The lead lands in a much nicer pile than the brass.
    Nice.
    A word of warning; if you can afford to do more Bear does not recommend giving your wife two pieces of bubble gum for her birthday.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JDavisArk View Post
    Actually......I don't care where my brass lands. I pick all of it up. At the range going through a 100rd drum mag this past weekend.......some went 10 miles to the south....others landed within 30ft. Hits are what I'm concerned with...not where my brass lands. It is what it is.
    Sigh. It isn't about picking up brass or how far or how neat the brass pile is. If you took to trouble to LEARN about your weapon and read the link, you would learn that it is a tuned machine and WHERE the brass lands is an indicator of the function of the gun. You can't hit squat, if you gun doesn't shoot.

But go ahead, change out parts willy-nilly without a clue or idea of the result on a defensive weapon. That is always a good idea and should work out "just fine" for you.

But back to the Spikes T-2 Buffer. It is a nice part and works well if it is the right weight for your gun.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

Distinguished Member Array CIBMike's Avatar
    So is a heavy buffer a good match for a 10 inch SBR?
    The easy way is always mined.

Administrator
    It would depend. Chorizo is absolutely correct in his statements, even though I had fun slightly at his expense with my smart reply.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by CIBMike View Post
    So is a heavy buffer a good match for a 10 inch SBR?
    As a verryyyyy general statement yes. Oversimplified, tuning the gun is as simple as increasing buffer weight until the gun stops functioning. Then dialing it back.

IMO, Vltor's A5 system can't be beat in this department, but it is more expensive.
    sammage likes this.
    Monotony is the awful reward for the careful

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I had one in my Bushmaster, it certainly was quiet and I had no cycling issues. That being said, I have not upgraded my current DD rifle, I really do not notice the buffer sound.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

VIP Member
    Quiet they are. No additional rattle for sure.

Sorry for being so thin skinned. I have been around long enough to know that SIXTO speaks with tongue firmly in cheek most of the time.

I refuse to blame SIXTO for this.
    Mea Culpa.

Ohhh I was tryin to figure out what y'all meant by 'quieter'.

I was wondering "How does the buffer suppress the gunshot" derrr
    Monotony is the awful reward for the careful

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by munch520 View Post
    Ohhh I was tryin to figure out what y'all meant by 'quieter'.

I was wondering "How does the buffer suppress the gunshot" derrr
    For the others: The spikes T-2 uses tungsten powder as a weight vice slugs so when you shake the buffer it has no rattle. It makes less "clackity-clack" when cycling in the buffer tube.

Sponsored Links