SIG 556 Classic

This is a discussion on SIG 556 Classic within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I will be getting my SIG 556 Classic Commemorative rifle this coming January and cannot wait although it is a long wait. What is people ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By sammage
  • 1 Post By slidewayz240

Thread: SIG 556 Classic

SIG 556 Classic

I will be getting my SIG 556 Classic Commemorative rifle this coming January and cannot wait although it is a long wait. What is people opinion on this rifle and what are the pros and cons of their reliability? any information will help.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    I would buy a SIG-551, but I like the original. I'm not sure what is considered 'Classic' about the 556.

Either way they are among the finest rifles made for that caliber.

I'm holding out for a SIG-751.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

Nose heavy, and the recoil impulse isn't as smooth as the M16 FOW.
    StormRhydr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sammage View Post
    Nose heavy, and the recoil impulse isn't as smooth as the M16 FOW.
    What rounds do you use? Also what feeds good with this rifle?

From what the boys from Fighting Rifle say, its reliable. Its also front end heavy because of the system it uses.

Other cons: Non universal parts, and you will likely have to return it to SIG should something fail.

Saying all that, its generally considered a good gun.

Quote Originally Posted by cbp210 View Post
    This wasn't mine. Shooting XM193.

Quote Originally Posted by cbp210 View Post
    From what I gather, it will shoot pretty much everything well. Even steel cased. I dont know first hand, but thats word on the street.

I had a Sig 556 Swat Patrol rifle. Sold it and bought an AR15. One of the first tests I did for that rifle was shoot steel case ammo. About a mag and a half in it got a stuck case. So no, it will not shoot steel reliably. It is also as others have said, very heavy. Non universal parts, and my buddies 556 got a case stuck in it so bad that he actually has to send it back to sig to get worked on.
    sammage likes this.

Have one for 3 years now, and love it. It is now my SHTF rifle. It is as reliable as an AK-47, and a little less accurate then a stock AR-15. Remmeber it is a battle rifle not a target rifle. No problems at all, and all i fire is Mil-Surp ammo, i don't reload. As a test to myself i went 900rds without cleaning over 5months time, again no problems of any sort. You will never look back once you get it. IMHO My 556's born on date was my birthday. No one has been complaining for the last 5 years about the Q.C. on the Sig 556 rifle. I paid $975 from Bud's NIB.

Yep good call . I would grab a 556 as a shtf guns any day. People will say oh the parts are not the same as a ar etc etc. To I prefer it that way , when you feel that Swiss style stock and how smooth it all is well boy howdy. The 551 is the classic as it the first model before that but that take unique mags unlike the 556 which takes ar mags.

Range I go to has one for rent , and yes they are nice they will take any ar mag even the 100 round drums and beta mags . I even like the sig red dot on them. And it is a smooth gun inside and out to me plus I like this system as you can hopefully run the crap ammo in it no problem..

The only minor drawback is that stocks are limited I think you can get a adptor if you want a ar stock . But I don't and like this stock it is more compact.

Also the gun uses a swiss bayo on it and having seen on at hand this beat the heck out of our wimpy bayos.. You do need to add the lug but all you need is like 1 piece and 10 min with a hammer but there is only one company in CO that makes them so maybe order now ..

And here is the reason why I like like this gun :
    07c95d14182c90e3f24037397a2566216g.jpg

Links