Finally!

Finally!

This is a discussion on Finally! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have posted from time to time that I really want a K31. Well, HOT DAMM! Got an e-mail advert this evening that AIM Surplus ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Kilowatt3
  • 1 Post By RETSUPT99
  • 3 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By BlackStallion29

Thread: Finally!

Finally!

I have posted from time to time that I really want a K31.

Well, HOT DAMM! Got an e-mail advert this evening that AIM Surplus had gotten a new shipment in, and I pulled the trigger. Ought to be here by the end of next week.

I am one excited camper!!!
    atctimmy and Aceoky like this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Say WHAT!...one of these? K31 Rifles
    Remember, to post pics
    Aceoky likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Yer gonna love it - I guarantee it!

RETSUPT99, Kilowatt3 and Aceoky like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array BlackStallion29's Avatar
    Sweet! Those things are reasonably priced.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    "Everybody gets knocked down in life. How you choose to get back up is up to you!"
    *NRA* *BFA*
    *GOA* *SAF*
    *NAGR*

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Yer gonna love it - I guarantee it!

Thanks Smitty!

You told me a while ago that you had saved up a bunch of GP11 brass but then discovered it's Berdan primed. Wonder just how difficult it really is to reload (?). I've always heard Berdan-primed ammo described as "non-reloadable", but I know of a lot of guys who have done it. Don't know anyone personally who has, though.

Do you have a feel for what it really takes? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the trouble, or if I should just buy a few hundred rounds and forget about it. Or, I suppose I could buy boxer-primed ammo (e.g. PP or Norma) for reloading, although it's a lot more expensive. Just dunno if it's worth buying dies for it, particularly if reloading the GP11 is really a major PITA. I don't really expect to be shooting the gun a WHOLE lot, but I do like the idea of being able to reload for just about anything I own.

My question is directed at Smitty, but I'm posting here rather than a PM, just in case anyone else can chime in with any advice. TIA!
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

KW, I just looked at the AIM ad and I'd spoil your breakfast if I told you what I paid for mine. But their GP-11 price is pretty decent, actually cheaper than the Privi stuff available elsewhere. Just wish those gorgeous Swiss cases were boxer primed!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by BlackStallion29 View Post
    Sweet! Those things are reasonably priced.
    Yep! I think that if the pics on AIM were representative of what I'm getting, then I got a pretty good deal (though not the $75 I hear they were selling for 10-15 years ago! ).
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

KW, I just looked at the AIM ad and I'd spoil your breakfast if I told you what I paid for mine. But their GP-11 price is pretty decent, actually cheaper than the Privi stuff available elsewhere. Just wish those gorgeous Swiss cases were boxer primed!
    Hah! I was just posting about the price while you were responding. Was I pretty close?
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

Silly me for not reading your post directed at me.

Decapping Berdan-primed brass is fairly easy with the "hydraulic" technique. You get a hardwood dowel that fits the case mouth pretty closely, fill the case with water. Use a shell holder or something similar to grab the bottom of the case and allow clearance for the old primer, then whack the dowel with a mallet. You might get some water squirting at you, but that primer will be gone.

As far as reloading the case, I can't speak from experience, but I think you actually have to use Berdan primers which are out there... somewhere.

This article offers some guidance on the rest of the reloading process for the K-31 - some good tips here: Reloading the 7

BTW, I scored some once-fired 7.5 brass at the last gun show for maybe 25 cents a case, so I have maybe a hundred cases ready to go. The big holdup right now is bullets! Everything is out of stock and back-ordered. Can't even get bullets for the .30-30 (although that may be just seasonal).
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Hah! I was just posting about the price while you were responding. Was I pretty close?
    I missed the bottom of the market, but I got two - with shipping - for $200. My first 'brick' of GP11 was under 30 cents a round (2005).
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

...The big holdup right now is bullets! Everything is out of stock and back-ordered. Can't even get bullets for the .30-30 (although that may be just seasonal).
    Dumb question here:

I've always understood (and read in several places) that it was safe (and effective) to load 7.5x55 with plain ol' .308 bullets. Is that not the case?

Thanks!
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

Free k31!!!

I missed the bottom of the market, but I got two - with shipping - for $200. My first 'brick' of GP11 was under 30 cents a round (2005).
    Heck, I'll give you $200 for ONE of yours! That way, you got the other one FREE!!!

Surely you're not going to pass up this opportunity for a FREE K31!!!
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

Dumb question here:

I've always understood (and read in several places) that it was safe (and effective) to load 7.5x55 with plain ol' .308 bullets. Is that not the case?

Thanks!
    Yep - .308 nominal diameter is what you want. Not dumb at all!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Heck, I'll give you $200 for ONE of yours! That way, you got the other one FREE!!!

Surely you're not going to pass up this opportunity for a FREE K31!!!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Sponsored Links