Class III shotgun anyone?

This is a discussion on Class III shotgun anyone? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Any DC folks rockin a short-barrel pump or auto loading shotgun that requires Federal paperwork? If so...please post some pics....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Class III shotgun anyone?

Any DC folks rockin a short-barrel pump or auto loading shotgun that requires Federal paperwork? If so...please post some pics.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

AFAIK the only class 3 would be shotguns with barrels under 18",AFAIK there were no Full Auto shotguns produced prior to the ban that are available to civilians.
    I have a friend that has an 870 that is only like 10" bbl with a pistol grip,and a Benelli M4 SBS that was a Secret Service trade in
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Moderator
    Here's my personal one that I built. I do Saiga conversions.

11.5" barrel, MagPul furniture, PolyChoke "Breacher" and it'll shoot everything from the lightest low brass shell to buck shot and slugs due to the adjustable gas plug and the enlarged gas ports. That choke is adjustable and it works very well. Its take 12,20 and 30 round drum magazines or 5,6,8,10 or 12 round magazines. This thing is fun to shoot and it'll spit out 5 rounds per second.

Another pic with a 12 round drum on it.

I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

What is the OAL on that HG? Lets say with the stock collapsed.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Hotguns - Does the plastic part of the shell deform if left loaded for extended periods? Any feed issues related to this?
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    Sweeeeet!

Would love to get hold of one and then just hang on for the ride......

I saw a youtube video of a guy who had a double barrel Stoeger shotgun. Cut down the stock to be a pistol grip, and hacked the barrels down to about 10". Now thats one heck of a cool piece! Definitely filled with history. Ill see if I can find the video. Ahh, here it is.

12ga Coach Sawed-Off + SLUGS 15-55 Yards (HD) - YouTube
    Doghandler likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Hotguns - Does the plastic part of the shell deform if left loaded for extended periods? Any feed issues related to this?
    Only if the loaded magazine is left in the gun. The top shell rests against the bolt, and on a long magazine the spring pressure is enough to collapse the plastic hull a bit. It can hang up when fed.

Just leaving one in the magazine wont do it, but I don't load the mags until I'm ready to shoot.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

ctr and HotGuns like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Only if the loaded magazine is left in the gun. The top shell rests against the bolt, and on a long magazine the spring pressure is enough to collapse the plastic hull a bit. It can hang up when fed.

Just leaving one in the magazine wont do it, but I don't load the mags until I'm ready to shoot.
    Thanks. This has always been my concern with these Saiga shotguns. Faster to pump a regular shotgun with a tubular mag and be ready to go for home defense (keep it mag tube loaded chamber empty), than to grab the Saiga, grab the mag, insert mag, and run the bolt. Being faster into action trumps mag capacity IMHO. If you need more than a few shotgun shells for home defense, you are in a war zone.

Sorry for the thread drift. I've always liked the concept of the Saiga, but not being able to keep it loaded kinda ruins it for my purposes.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

One of the local SOT here in AZ post alot of AOW and SBS they are nice . He made very nice mock up of the whippit gun .

I personal don't have any class 3 scatter gun but I know when I had the time and money I am either getting a cut down auto 5 a saiga either sbs or aow or this

39149.jpg

Does anyone use a Class III firearm, like any of the shotguns discussed in this thread for HD? Id imagine that even in a clear-cut case of self defense in your home in the middle of the night, against an armed intruder who has no business being in your house (with a broken window/kicked in front door, and felonious past to prove it), that using something even as basic as a 14" standard pump shotgun that was 100% legally owned would still bring extra flack in a courtroom from some anti-gun prosecutor trying to get your just because you have gun(s), especially heavily regulated guns (because that 4" off the barrel makes it a death machine), and clearly owning a Class III firearm means you are looking for an excuse to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck808 View Post
    Does anyone use a Class III firearm, like any of the shotguns discussed in this thread for HD? Id imagine that even in a clear-cut case of self defense in your home in the middle of the night, against an armed intruder who has no business being in your house (with a broken window/kicked in front door, and felonious past to prove it), that using something even as basic as a 14" standard pump shotgun that was 100% legally owned would still bring extra flack in a courtroom from some anti-gun prosecutor trying to get your just because you have gun(s), especially heavily regulated guns (because that 4" off the barrel makes it a death machine), and clearly owning a Class III firearm means you are looking for an excuse to use it.
    I be more worried about never seeing it agin or it sitting in evidence for years. A normal shotgun you can go to walmart to replace but a gun that took 200$ and 6-8 month to wait is harder to replace.

And yeah depending on the state it could be a lot fuel for the fire and you better maker dern shure you ducks are line in the row beofre use.

I think a very sawed off gun be great for HD heck a silnced one would too but I rather not never see that gun again .

Most people that are not of a the gun dont understaind that there a silencer is a not a evial criminal tool and that a saw off is better for perosnal defensive to the spread . All they know they moives and tv where they hear the bad guy used a sawed off for more death and that is all they think.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    I'd like to have one of those. Great HD weapon.

Senior Moderator
    That's just speculation really.

If it's legally owned, it shouldn't matter. Any Defense Lawyer worth his salt would mention the fact that it is federally regulated and taxed and whether I blasted you with an 11.5 barreled shotgun or a handgun chambered for a .22 short shouldn't matter. Dead is dead. if its a legal shoot its a legal shoot.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links