Gona build an AR

Gona build an AR

This is a discussion on Gona build an AR within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Been try'n to decide what brand upper and lower to use to get started with for this build . Finally decided to start with a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Gona build an AR

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar

Gona build an AR

Been try'n to decide what brand upper and lower to use to get started with for this build . Finally decided to start with a Aero Precision lower and upper and ordered them this morning. Think I did ok. They have a sale going on with a 13% off what you buy so the upper with fa and dc and stripped lower cost 208 bucks to my ffl. 25 more bucks and its mine, well that and 4 or 5 days sfor hipping.
    Drgnfly likes this.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    I just finished one myself. It was a lot of fun but I could have bought a good one (Spikes Tactical) off the rack for dang near the same price. No regrets though.

Lead Moderator
    Palmetto state armory gets my nod for decent quality and good prices. Blem parts don't bother me as guns are tools that will get scratched, ect .
    jbum, Drgnfly, munch520 and 4 others like this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Palmetto state armory gets my nod for decent quality and good prices. Blem parts don't bother me as guns are tools that will get scratched, ect .
    This

Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    This
    Agreed! They currently have blemished lowers for $59.99. You can't beat that price. They did have a blemished lower and LPK for 89.99 last week, don't know if its still available

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Spend the $150 more and just buy a colt. You will never be able to get 1/2 the money you spend on your franken-AR if you decide to sell it.
    StormRhydr likes this.

PSA is a great bargain - I have been 100% happy with everything received from them in the past couple years. To date I have over 5K through one of their uppers and almost double that on a couple lowers.

Quote Originally Posted by pat701 View Post
    Spend the $150 more and just buy a colt. You will never be able to get 1/2 the money you spend on your franken-AR if you decide to sell it.
    A PSA built upper on a quality lower will be in the $8-900 range new. I've never seen a complete AR go for $400 used...even if it's a mutt.
    rocky likes this.
    Monotony is the awful reward for the careful

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Should be about $300-$400 difference between a PSA rifle and a Colt. I'm not saying a Colt isn't worth what it is, but there is money to be saved by building and parting out a gun.

Lead Moderator
    Good to hear you review on PSA Munch520. If one surfs the deals at PSA and is patient , I think you could build an AR for around $600 depending on features wanted.
    Drgnfly likes this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

My current build that I'm in the works with is $1300 on paper..

But with the deals I've been finding, the price is going to be no where near that. I just did a quick calculation of the top tier pricing on the parts I'm going to be using.. came to $1300.

Just ordered a CMC flat 3.5lb trigger that was on my list for Midway prices, which I think were $175-210 .. that's the range I saw. I picked one up for $113 shipped on a Veterans day sale. Already shipped out to me.

I also just grabbed an M16 bolt... which I was quoting going with another BCM full auto bolt like my last build -$150-190 I believe. Just grabbed a Spike's Tactical M16 complete bolt, for $109 on another Veteran's day deal.

So I'm doing well so far. Bringing down the overall cost each order!

:)

A buddy of mine just did a Franken-AR build. S&W lower, DSA upper, FA BCG. It cost him $840 to build. He did it self admittedly that way, because he is "CHEAP". He could have bought a NIB Colt 6920 for $1050. I can't see anyone giving him $400 for it if he tryed to sell it. Unless you are doing it for something to tinker with, Buy a complete AR-15. JMHO
    And to make it better, My buddy is 60yrs old, and this is his first AR-15. He had the money to buy right but cheaped out.
    Last edited by pat701; November 13th, 2013 at 11:17 AM. Reason: more info

A buddy of mine just did a Franken-AR build. S&W lower, DSA upper, FA BCG. It cost him $840 to build. He did it self admittedly that way, because he is "CHEAP". He could have bought a NIB Colt 6920 for $1050. I can't see anyone giving him $400 for it if he tryed to sell it. Unless you are doing it for something to tinker with, Buy a complete AR-15. JMHO
    And to make it better, My buddy is 60yrs old, and this is his first AR-15. He had the money to buy right but cheaped out.
    Agree to disagree.

I don't see the problem with "franken AR" As long as quality stuff was used.

I would rather buy and build my own using LMT, DD or other stuff... than to buy a Colt at Walmart for $1100.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    I used all Spikes parts to build mine because I'm kinda anal about everthing being the same brand. In the future I might use bargin parts from different manufacturers.

What barrel and BCG?

So he didn't actually sell it...so we're just speculating with the 50% figure.
    Monotony is the awful reward for the careful

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

Correct me if I'm wrong,but Isn't there only like a handful of Companies that make Lower Receivers and they just put different logos on them,the same with barrels and BCG's etc.One thing I do know about Colts is they have a crappy Trigger,so even if I paid $1000+ I would end up spending more to either get the factory trigger worked on or buy a 3.5 to #4 trigger and install it.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links