Tritium Rifle Sights?

This is a discussion on Tritium Rifle Sights? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been thinking of getting a tritium front sight post for one of my rifles. I got to thinking, wouldn't that possibly make me ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By munch520
  • 1 Post By sammage

Thread: Tritium Rifle Sights?

Tritium Rifle Sights?

I have been thinking of getting a tritium front sight post for one of my rifles. I got to thinking, wouldn't that possibly make me a target if I were in a low light situation (especially if someone happened to be behind me)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Typically, tritium is in a small tube, with a small jewel at the end of the tube to make the glow more visible, but since the tritium is set into that metal tube, the angle of view is extremely narrow. You typically can't see the glow unless you're directly behind the weapon, and if you can be spotted from behind that closely, chances are a rifle isn't the weapon you're going to need. :)
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

I'd spend your money on something else. They're a waste of money on rifles.
    sammage likes this.
    Monotony is the awful reward for the careful

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

Quote Originally Posted by munch520 View Post
    I'd spend your money on something else. They're a waste of money on rifles.
    Irons with a white light will work just as well..and you'll be able to see who you're about to shoot. A red dot is even better.
    GlassWolf likes this.

I wouldn't put one on a rifle. There are many things that will make you a target before a sight post. That would be the lowest thing on my list of concerns. Actually, it wouldn't be on the list...
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Rifle, SBR, or shotgun, if it's for home defense, I agree a red dot or holographic sight is the way to go, along with a tac light mounted on the gun.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    I wouldn't put one on a rifle. There are many things that will make you a target before a sight post. That would be the lowest thing on my list of concerns. Actually, it wouldn't be on the list...
    I've got to admit, I'm much more familiar with pistols in low light, and rarely do low light work with a rifle.

Do you just recommend relying on the red dot sight?

"My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    I've got to admit, I'm much more familiar with pistols in low light, and rarely do low light work with a rifle.

Do you just recommend relying on the red dot sight?

Definitely. If you run irons, just run standard. In low or no light, and weapon light will allow you a solid sight picture.

Honestly, I'm moving away from tritium even on my handguns. I'm thinking of going to a gold dot front sight on my carry guns. I've always used tritium, but have never really found a realistic situation where they are a true benefit over other options.

On rifles, my first choice is always a red dot optic with a solid set of BUIS, typically KAC.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Links