I bought a Nikon scope set up specifically for the 300 Blackout...

This is a discussion on I bought a Nikon scope set up specifically for the 300 Blackout... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here's Nikon's story on it... P-300 BLK 2-7x32 BDC SuperSub from Nikon I just got it in yesterday and haven't even got it mounted yet. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: I bought a Nikon scope set up specifically for the 300 Blackout...

Senior Moderator

I bought a Nikon scope set up specifically for the 300 Blackout...

Here's Nikon's story on it...

P-300 BLK 2-7x32 BDC SuperSub from Nikon

I just got it in yesterday and haven't even got it mounted yet. But looking through it, it has a great reticle. It remains to see how it's going to do in shooting situations, but I'll have to get it mounted before I can answer that more definitively. It cost $199 at Midway. It was listed on Amazon, but wasn't in stock.

According to Nikon the BDC (Bullet Drop Compensator) will work with both supersonic and subsonic loads. I haven't even had a chance to read the owner's manual yet, but I think how they achieve this is with BDC circles and lines.

The reticle is very distinct and not too thick nor too thin - sounds like the Three Bears story doesn't it Unlike some other scopes I've seen, the BDC marks seem exceptional clear and sized just right. I've seen some that are too small or too thin to pick up easily.

The link provides a little more detail, so I won't replicate that here. I guess all that remains is to mount it and shoot some. Unfortunately, due to schedules, etc. that may be next week some time.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    I've always been very fond of Nikon scopes! I have found they they are BETTER than some much more expensive scopes I've had. YMMV.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Senior Moderator

Excellent scope. I've been shooting it and I really like it. I've been mounting them on lots of guns. So far the comments on them have been great.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    ...Excellent scope. I've been shooting it and I really like it. I've been mounting them on lots of guns. So far the comments on them have been great.
    Great build BTW!

After reading the owner's manual, I see this scope is designed around a 115 gr FMJ. That's a bit disappointing in two ways, one, I haven't seen any 115 gr BO ammo, and two they advertise it as a subsonic/supersonic BDC and the owner's manual doesn't mention how the BDC should be used with subsonic ammo.

It's probably close enough to a 110 gr so that may not be a problem, but for the subsonic there doesn't seem to be any BDC to it. That's a bit disappointing. If that's the case, it's just another scope, and there's little "300 BO" to it???

Your thoughts???

Well, I wondered why you would need a scope specific to that caliber. You were good enough to provide the link to that scope, so I went there and read the info on it, BEFORE reading your post below. I thought that answered my question.

Then I read your post, and honestly, Id be a bit put out with the company. Their info seems misleading to me, based on what you are saying. Im sure its otherwise a fine scope though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Great build BTW!

After reading the owner's manual, I see this scope is designed around a 115 gr FMJ. That's a bit disappointing in two ways, one, I haven't seen any 115 gr BO ammo, and two they advertise it as a subsonic/supersonic BDC and the owner's manual doesn't mention how the BDC should be used with subsonic ammo.

It's probably close enough to a 110 gr so that may not be a problem, but for the subsonic there doesn't seem to be any BDC to it. That's a bit disappointing. If that's the case, it's just another scope, and there's little "300 BO" to it???

Your thoughts???

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    Well, I wondered why you would need a scope specific to that caliber. You were good enough to provide the link to that scope, so I went there and read the info on it, BEFORE reading your post below. I thought that answered my question.

Then I read your post, and honestly, Id be a bit put out with the company. Their info seems misleading to me, based on what you are saying. Im sure its otherwise a fine scope though.
    From just inspection and looking through it, the features, etc. it appears to be a great scope. Everything looked clear, bright, and crisp. But, yeah, I'm with you - their wording is quite misleading.

Reading the OM, it's simply a scope with hundreds and 'half' hundreds markings for the 115 gr bullet. I.e. circles are 300, 400, 500, & 600 yards. the lines are 250, 350, 450, & 550. Those 400, 500, and 600 yard marklngs seem to be a bit long for a 300 Blackout.

Kinda makes me think they've simply put a reticle in a scope, albeit good scope, and marketed it as a 300 BO specific scope.

Senior Moderator
    Go to the website and fine tune it to your needs. Forget all the poppycock and set it up where you want it. Do it right and each hash mark will represent a known distance for your load.

Dial it in for a specific range. I usually do 50 yards for Blackouts. Then, the first reticle will be 50, the second will be something like 73 depending on your load, and so on.

Do a chart for subsonic loads and then do one for whatever you want to shoot fast. Factor it in and the hash marks will be right on the money.

Those scope are misunderstood by many, but if you take the time to figure it out, its really easy and quick to use.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

If it's a Nikon, it's a good scope. At least, that's been my experience. I have no doubt it will serve you well.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Senior Moderator
    That's true HotGuns, but I can do that with any scope; I could use my M-223 and do it that way and even buy custom turrets to match the 300 BO.

From SpotOn the P-300 BLK scope is close enough for the 110 gr 115 gr, but it is advertised as a super/sub and it makes no provisions at all for the subsonic. I was expecting it to have markings for the subsonic as well.

Had I known this to be the case, I probably would not have bought this scope. Not that it's not a good scope, it looks like a great scope. But if I have to have tables to go with the scope, any scope will do and I would have probably opted to use a 1-4x.

Great build BTW!

Your thoughts???
    That's not the case at all. Nikon's BDC scopes are …"adjustable"... I guess you could say. They have an app online that you can use to determine the BDC based on your loads and zero distance. If it's "designed" around the 115gr, that probably has to do with a specific load that they used to make the BDC ticks at even distances (100, 200, 300 yds). Your specific load will probably end up as HotGuns described - random-number distances.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    That's not the case at all. Nikon's BDC scopes are …"adjustable"... I guess you could say. They have an app online that you can use to determine the BDC based on your loads and zero distance. If it's "designed" around the 115gr, that probably has to do with a specific load that they used to make the BDC ticks at even distances (100, 200, 300 yds). Your specific load will probably end up as HotGuns described - random-number distances.
    It is the case. The super/sub is marked for the 115 gr specifically. Go to SpotOn and see. There is no provision for the subsonic as suggested by the Nikon literature.

The difference is for the 115 gr, the circles represent even multiples of hundreds of yards. The lines are the 'half way' in between the hundred yards - I'm looking at SpotOn and the owner's manual right now.

Now, lets see what the marks do for the 220 gr bullet. According to SpotOn, the first circle is 227 yards; the second is 261 yards, the third is 306. But for the 115 gr one only needs to know the circles are hundreds and the lines are fifties. For the 220 gr, one has to remember, or carry a chart, that the first circle is 227 yards, the second is 261, yards, etc. You can do that with any scope.

You can match any bullet to any Nikon BDC scope using SpotOn, but you have to memorize the ranges per mark or carry a table with you.

It is the case. The super/sub is marked for the 115 gr specifically. Go to SpotOn and see. There is no provision for the subsonic as suggested by the Nikon literature.

The difference is for the 115 gr, the circles represent even multiples of hundreds of yards. The lines are the 'half way' in between the hundred yards - I'm looking at SpotOn and the owner's manual right now.

Now, lets see what the marks do for the 220 gr bullet. According to SpotOn, the first circle is 227 yards; the second is 261 yards, the third is 306. But for the 115 gr one only needs to know the circles are hundreds and the lines are fifties. For the 220 gr, one has to remember, or carry a chart, that the first circle is 227 yards, the second is 261, yards, etc. You can do that with any scope.

You can match any bullet to any Nikon BDC scope using SpotOn, but you have to memorize the ranges per mark or carry a table with you.
    It's kinda funny, but that's exactly what I was saying. For any scope there's only going to be one specific load that'll give you the perfect 100/200/300 markings. The nice thing about Nikon is they have that app to tell you exactly what it is.

Adjustable wasn't the right word for what I meant. But we're saying the same thing. That's the way the scope/app is supposed to work, and I find it rather convenient.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    It's kinda funny, but that's exactly what I was saying. For any scope there's only going to be one specific load that'll give you the perfect 100/200/300 markings. The nice thing about Nikon is they have that app to tell you exactly what it is.

Adjustable wasn't the right word for what I meant. But we're saying the same thing. That's the way the scope/app is supposed to work, and I find it rather convenient.
    I agree, but Nikon is advertising this as a super/sub. It has really no provision for the sub whatsoever. It's true you get one 'even' divisions for the 110/115 but the implication is it handles both.

Imagine it's raining, it's just dawning, and here's your deer and you're trying to read the ranges from a chart.

I agree, but Nikon is advertising this as a super/sub. It has really no provision for the sub whatsoever. It's true you get one 'even' divisions for the 110/115 but the implication is it handles both.

Imagine it's raining, it's just dawning, and here's your deer and you're trying to read the ranges from a chart.
    Before you go out hunting with it, practice with it and memorize it. Easy peasy. I'm not sure why you're disliking this scope. You'd have to do that with any scope. Except with other scopes you're not given the chart. You either have to guess on the spot while you're staring at your deer or make your own chart before hand. They couldn't possibly give you a scope with perfect markings for any load you desire. So they pick one and give that the distances and then give you the appropriate data for everything else. Most people aren't going to go beyond the 3rd tick anyhow, so you're really not going to need to memorize every spot.

Are you getting hung up on the fact that it's advertised as a "Supersub"? Because from what I can tell, I think all they mean is that no matter what you use, super or sub sonic, you can match it with the BDC using their spot on app to find exactly the BDC ranges.

ETA:

I think the hash marks may have something to do with it. Most other Nikon BDC scopes only utilize the circles, whereas the super sub uses circles and hashes. Perhaps you can zero it with a super load, and the hashes will work with a sub load? Just a thought.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links