K31 at LAST!!!

K31 at LAST!!!

This is a discussion on K31 at LAST!!! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My long-coveted K31 showed up today, and it's a beauty! K31.1.jpg K31.2.jpg k31.3.jpg One of the nicest examples I've seen! Very few, very minor boot-dings ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: K31 at LAST!!!

K31 at LAST!!!

My long-coveted K31 showed up today, and it's a beauty!
    K31.1.jpgK31.2.jpgk31.3.jpg
    One of the nicest examples I've seen! Very few, very minor boot-dings on the stock, and the bluing is just about perfect. Serial numbers all match, and indicate a 1947 date of manufacture. And, it has the troop tag under the butt!

I have 120 rounds of GP11 burning a hole in my range bag. Weather permitting, I'll be lighting off a few through it in the morning!
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

VIP Member
    That's what I've been talking about!

I've got one too......good shooters.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    I have seen the K-31s at gun shows but never had the opportunity to fire one, great looking rifle.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Administrator
    Congrats. That is in super nice condition.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

That sure is an interesting rifle. This is the first I've ever heard of or seen one, so off to Google I go.

Happy shooting!
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

That stock is pretty clean - lucky you! Most, if not all, K31s show some staining at the butt of the stock, and this is from being stacked in snow! Consider it a "mark of authenticity." And speaking of stacking, that short metal rod under the barrel that looks like a bent cleaning rod is there for stacking 3 or more rifles, by hooking those rods together.

Once I got my Swiss "twins," of course I had to "accessorize" them. What's actually pretty useful is those cardboard-and-sheet metal "chargers". These are akin to stripper clips, although over-engineered in typical Swiss fashion. The were pretty easy to find on fleaBay. They work well and are a fraction of the cost of a new replica magazine. The last thing I got, which took a lot of shopping, was a bayonet and appropriate frog for carrying it on a belt. These are actually pretty scarce, and I ended up spending $85 on a bayonet for a gun that cost $100! And of course it's as effective as foxtails on a hot rod for making it shoot better, but it's a nice addition to the collection.

Make sure you give that bore a thorough cleaning before you hit the range. The Swiss were smart and adopted noncorrosive primers eons ago, so there is a 99% probability that your K31 has not been exposed to corrosive primers. And given the Swiss level of attention to detail, it's likely that the citizen soldiers were fastidious about caring for their weapons. But who knows how long this piece has been in storage, so do take a few minutes to scrub the bore.

At the end of the day it's still a mass-produced military rifle, but both mine were capable of 3 inches at 100 yards with the open sights (and sexagenarian eyes). I think better eyes and a more deliberate shooter will easily do better. Good luck, and I'm looking forward to your range report!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Now that is one nice rifle. Ever since I got my C&R I've gotten my hands on plenty of Mosins and Mausers. Even have a couple Enfields, but this is an ongoing gap. Posts like this only convince me of such that much more...
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

VIP Member
    Never seen one before but I like it.....

Congrats and enjoy!

Well, I didn't get out to shoot the new K31 yesterday, but managed to make it out to the farm this afternoon.

Ran a couple boxes through it, and it is a sweet shooter! I did not have 'formal' targets set up, but was shooting offhand at old cigarette packs and hitting them pretty consistently from about 30 yards. Not bad, considering the iron sights and my out-of-date bifocals!

Recoil was surprisingly light for a pretty stout round in a bolt-action. As expected, the action was silky-smooth!

I'm looking forward to getting my 100-yard range built so I can do some more serious target work!
    gasmitty likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Senior Moderator
    The K31 is an excellent rifle. I like them so much that I have two of them and both of them are the most accurate mil-surps that I own.

At some point in time you need to take off the butt stock and see if the name of the original bearing is in there. The Swiss troops were known to put their name and unit number on a sliver of paper under them and it may still be there.

I've heard of several stories over the years of guys getting the names and looking them up and actually making contact with the guys that put their names there.

Its definitely worth a look.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    The K31 is an excellent rifle. I like them so much that I have two of them and both of them are the most accurate mil-surps that I own.

At some point in time you need to take off the butt stock and see if the name of the original bearing is in there. The Swiss troops were known to put their name and unit number on a sliver of paper under them and it may still be there.

I've heard of several stories over the years of guys getting the names and looking them up and actually making contact with the guys that put their names there...
    Yep! The troop tag was the first thing I looked for, and it was there; I mentioned it in my OP.

I've already Googled the name and town, have the address & phone number of a prospective match, and have composed a letter to the guy. The guy the gun was issued to would now be 83 years old, so I guess it's a toss-up whether the address I've got is for him, his son, a cousin, or none-of-the-above. I've run the letter through an English-to-German translation program, but I kinda want someone who can read German to proof it before I send it. Wouldn't want any surprises!

I believe that the troop tags were a requirement, and not just something the soldier chose to do. They generally follow a pretty rigid format (Last name, first name, year of birth, unit, town), and the tags themselves seem to be uniform in size & style, right down to the hole that lines up with one of the butt plate screws. I suspect that if a K31 does not have the troop tag, it's either because it was removed, or the gun was never issued.

Did your guns have the troop tag? If so, did you try to trace them? Any luck?

These are fascinating guns. I've had quite a bit of fun just researching them before I ever (finally) got my hands on one of my own! Something tells me this may not be my last one. Maybe a K1911 next?
    Aceoky likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

That looks like a nice one.
    I don't have a K31, but I've been looking at them. I figured I already have the M96/11, the M1911 and the K1911 that what's one more to kind of round things out.
    Aceoky likes this.

Oh, I love seeing another K31 find a good home! My very first rifle was a K31. I've gotten a lot more rifles since then, but the K31 is still my favorite (don't tell the Garand I finally got after drooling over them since forever).
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

The more I play with it, the more I like this rifle! Finding all kinds of proof marks on it:

K31 Bolt Handle Proof Marks.jpgK31 Proof Marks on Bolt.jpgK31 Proof Marks on Receiver3.jpg

Having a lot of fun researching them online. I've sent a letter that I hope reaches the original soldier to whom the gun was issued in 1947! I found a fellow by the same name, in the same town, anyway, so if it's not him, maybe it is/was his daddy or uncle or something.

Any of you guys that have K31's - Were you ever able to track down the original trooper or his heirs by way of the troop tag?

I found a source for unissued, genuine 1918/55 bayonets, and ordered a couple; one for me and one for my bro-in-law who first introduced me to the K31. Not quite as good a getting the original number-matching bayonet that the gun was issued with, but the chance of ever locating that one is somewhere between zero and none.

Anyway, this gun's a kick! I'm pretty sure I'll be looking for another nice one to buy next. I'm still thinking that one of these with a decent scope on it would be a really cool hog gun!
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

Sadly, my Swiss twins didn't have the personal touch under the buttplates.

I like the fact that even the magazines are serially numbered along with the gun. The machining is just in a class of its own for a military gun... I suspect it would cost a couple thousand bucks to make those guns today.

FWIW, mine are 1954 and 1955 guns.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links