What Carbine Railing for your AR?

This is a discussion on What Carbine Railing for your AR? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Going to be swapping out the hand guards on my wife's M&P15 Sport but don't really know where to start. I've seen some for sale ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By buckeye .45
  • 1 Post By rocky

Thread: What Carbine Railing for your AR?

Going to be swapping out the hand guards on my wife's M&P15 Sport but don't really know where to start. I've seen some for sale aboard the base for $120 and I've seen some on GB for $40. So I was hoping to get some advice and tips from the all-wise members of DC lol.

I've measured her hand guards between 6.5" and 7". Price isnt a huge factor but can be a determining factor. I'd like a two piece rail system and it doesnt have to be anything to survive WW3. Range time is really all that it will see and a broomstick/bipod.

Thanks Ladies and Gents.

-Kyle

VIP Member
    You don't want to buy one that's too cheap. I have one from Midwest Industries and it is quite nice. IIRC it was about $125.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

If you aren't going to be mounting anything that requires sighting in, I truly believe the Magpul MOE handguards are ones of the best deals going. You can add rails where needed for accessories, but other than that it is clean. No need to worry about dinging rails into hard objects and damaging them, or losing rail covers. They are also lighter weight than most aluminum rail systems, keeping overall rifle weight down.

I only have one AR that is still sporting a rail, mostly because I already own it, but, unless I am going for something like a DM rifle which needs superior accuracy and a free-float forend, the MOEl is my go-to.
    scgunlover1, atctimmy and sammage like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Lead Moderator
    Like Buckeye45, I am using the MOE hg's. I used to have a Yankee Hill MAchine quad rail , but found I didn't need all the rail estate . A few small rails fit my needs to mount a light and vert grip.
    scgunlover1 likes this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Here is a decent set for $18.00 (you can pay more, but I don't know how it would be any better)
    The Broomstick choices are plentiful, I'd strongly recommend one that folds up with battery storage for your light &/or optic.

Amazon.com: ar15 accessories picatinny rail: Sports & Outdoors
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

I had an el cheapo $25 rail on my rifle before. The rail was made in the USA by Guntec and I bought it from CTD. Honestly it gave me no problems whatsoever and I was satisfied with it. I later upgraded to a Midwest Industries SS12G2 and low profile gas block. The reasons for upgrading were that I wanted to try a free float rail, I liked the smaller diameter of the modular rail system, and I liked the lighter weight.

Here is the Guntec rail, albeit more expensive on amazon:
    Amazon.com: Guntec USA 2-Piece AR15 AR-15 M4 Carbine Rifle Quad 4 Weaver/Picatinny Rail Aluminum Handguard: Sports & Outdoors

And here is a link to the midwest industries rails. You really can't go wrong with these:

Midwest Industries: Tactical Handguards

Also take a look around Palmetto, they have some good deals pop up:

Handguards & Rails - Upper Parts - AR-15
    Last edited by abigno99; November 17th, 2013 at 10:33 AM. Reason: grammar

Knight's Armament. Their brand new RAS for carbines is somewhere around $350, but they have "blemished" ones called "seconds" that are only $150. That's where I got mine. There wasn't anything wrong with it. The seconds just have cosmetic blemishes - if any.

I don't recommend anything except Knight's.

KAC M4 RAS Seconds Knight's Armament Rail Adapter System M4 RAS Seconds [P/N: 98064S] - $150.00 : Knights Armament, ::Welcome to our Online Store
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    If you aren't going to be mounting anything that requires sighting in, I truly believe the Magpul MOE handguards are ones of the best deals going. You can add rails where needed for accessories, but other than that it is clean. No need to worry about dinging rails into hard objects and damaging them, or losing rail covers. They are also lighter weight than most aluminum rail systems, keeping overall rifle weight down.

I only have one AR that is still sporting a rail, mostly because I already own it, but, unless I am going for something like a DM rifle which needs superior accuracy and a free-float forend, the MOEl is my go-to.
    Buckeye, I'm assuming that I just buy the railing I would need. Seemingly just the bottom one? The bipod I'm using are just our standard CIF ones I'm sure you can remember.

The free float is a bit over rated and really not an issue for most.
    Nice maybe but just not a major concern.

Quote Originally Posted by GSDSchutzhund View Post
    Buckeye, I'm assuming that I just buy the railing I would need. Seemingly just the bottom one? The bipod I'm using are just our standard CIF ones I'm sure you can remember.
    Yup, I think I just bought a 3" rail section for the VFG, but you just use the supplied hardware to mount it to the bottom of the handguard. Really, unless you are mounting a PEQ (or something similar) on the rifle, I see no need to spend the money and add the weight of a non-free float metal rail system. I have a VFG and WML on mine, so I just added the two rail sections I needed, at significantly less cost than the alternatives.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Links