AR Advice Wanted

This is a discussion on AR Advice Wanted within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey guys, Newby here and excited to be here. I am going to ask the most asked question in the world, so be kind please. ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: AR Advice Wanted

AR Advice Wanted

Hey guys,

Newby here and excited to be here.

I am going to ask the most asked question in the world, so be kind please. :) I realize there are millions of threads on this same topic, but I am just looking for some interactive opinions. I am about to purchase an AR... I have it narrowed down to these rifles. Let me know your opinion and personal thoughts.

I really don't want to invest more than around $850 in the rifle itself, but I have it narrowed down to these. Prices are what I can get them through my dealer. Opinions on that are greatly appreciated as well.

Bushmaster XM-15 ORC $749.00
    M&P 15OR $802.00
    Armalite 15ACB 15A4 $765.61
    Rock River AR1850 A4 STD $790.00

I am leaning towards the Bushmaster right now. I am not interested in Stag, DPMS, or other brands. Nothing against them, just not what I am wanting. I realize much comes down to opinion, but that is what I am looking for.

Thanks!

Vala

2. Remove Ads

Of those, the M&P would be my only choice.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Distinguished Member
    I would advise you to read here first: Be an informed consumer!!

And especially here:

"Oh No! I bought a BM/RRA/Stag before I knew better!"

Much to learn before you buy.
    tmoore912 and blitzburgh like this.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

The entry level Bushy would not be on my list.

I concur with Jon, of the list supplied, the M&P is the way to go. I became rather dis-enchanted with my bushmaster when I found out they used red loc-tite on the castle nut (on their commercial grade buffer tubes). I didn't particularly like having to use a torch to do a simple end plate swap on my rifle.

I would recommend figuring out what you want in a rifle, and buying the closest possible to that, so you don't wind up paying twice for pieces. Personally, for carbines, I like mil-spec, chrome lined, 1:7 twist barrel, mid length gas systems, 5.56 chamber, A3 reciever (flat top), M-16 style bolt carrier group, MPI tested bolt, properly staked gas keys, and probably a few other little things I am forgetting. Things like handguards and stocks can be swapped later, but if you can buy with what you already want, that is better.

If you have questions on any of those above traits, there are plenty of references around, feel free to ask.

I do have to ask, with the optics ready carbine, what kind of sight set-up are you looking to use?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    I'd go with the M&P OR by a wide margin. In fact I wouldn't buy any of the other brands, I'd go with a PSA over all others listed.

I had one of the M&P OR carbines and it was great. I had no failures of any kind, not a one in about 3000 rounds. It ate cheap Russian ammo with no problems and was a great knock around gun.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member
    Define what you want it for and buy accordingly.

But read first, read much and do it all before you spend a dime.

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Out of the bunch you listed the M&P-15 OR would be an excellent choice. One other that is not listed in your list is the PSA which is in your price range. PSA's are very good as well.
    StormRhydr and scgunlover1 like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

M&P is what all of my local friends have (who did not build them from ordered parts). They love them and they feed flawlessly. Several USED TO have Bushmasters that they got tired of dealing with issues on and traded them in on M&Ps.

The friends who assembled them from parts spent a little more but ended up with WONDERFUL firearms.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member

The M&P is your best option on your list. I have a higher grade M&P AR 15. I have had zero problems with it, though it doesnt really like steel cased ammo. Then again, many ARs dont.

PSA also deserve a look, IMO. Oh, I would increase my budget, were I you. You will pay less if you get factory options, than if you buy after market addons. Like rails instead of simply hand guards.

Btw, OP I see you are in OK. They GOT to have walmarts where you are. The walmart where Im at has at least 4 grades of Colt ARs in stock, and they are well worth considering.

Good luck, and enjoy.
    Aceoky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
    That's a good deal provided shipping isn't another $100.

Distinguished Member
    Connsolo, it's a good deal even with an additional $100 shipping and transfer fees added considering he would have to pay that to get his other rifle anyway.

Especially so, for the Colt upper (and BCG) and all the additional Magpul parts added to both the upper and lower.

Sorry - I should have listed that. I am looking to invest in an Eotech 552 or something similar, or an ACOG. Will have flip ups. This will be a sole defense/offense weapon not for causal plinking. That said, I do plan on shooting it plenty, so reliability is huge. From the looks of things, folks have a lot of confidence in M&P.

I want to keep the weapon relatively simple though. I don't want too much "battle bling". I want it to be capable and still versatile. The configuration you describe is something very desirable to me. 1:7 twist, chrome lined, ect.

I love the 6920... But it's just not for me. Too many of my buddies are Colt Fan Boys... I wanna be a little different. I will look into the PSA's... Can't say I have heard of them too much. $800 OTD? Promising... Thanks for the advice.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links