AK-47 Help

This is a discussion on AK-47 Help within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Looking to buy an AK-47, but there are so many variants and maunfacturers out there! Any advice? Any AK guru's on this site that can ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: AK-47 Help

Question AK-47 Help

Looking to buy an AK-47, but there are so many variants and maunfacturers out there!

Any advice?

Any AK guru's on this site that can lend me great wisdom?

Thanks!
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

2. Remove Ads

I don't know much about them, either, but I'd just make sure you get one in 7.62x39 as opposed to the 5.45x39.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

there are a few you tubes out there describing the differences, but in summery Arsenal or Century Arms are the ones I've had the best experience with
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

I've researched them. Seems to be the general consensus that the AK's with Milled Receivers are best. They're also more expensive. Arsenal is always getting very good reviews. I'd start with them and see if they're in your affordable range.
    If You Can Read This You Must REALLY Be Bored!

Ah my Fav subject . Ask me what you want

Read this to get started The AK Buyer's Guide - A Beginner's Guide to the AK Platform (ask all new AK questions in here) - AR15.COM ... AK-47 Receiver Identification: Milled vs. Stamped

The best of the best AK are the the pre 89 non usa part ones but they are expensive . If you want a beater ak get a wsar 10/63 people knock them but if you check them out first they will serve you well and you can put whatever you want on them . That said saiga that you convet or arsnal or even better krebes guns are the best out there right now.

The PAP series yuoko guns are regared as very very nice but there are different from normal ak so not all stuff fits them.

People knock 5.45 but it is a nasty round and you can buy a good one for 500 bucks and ammo for 1080 for 179 just got to clean the gun well with water aftewards

I added a lot of info as did other on this thread A decision. ..

Iraqvet video on youtube has a good sttep by steepth buyers guide to what to look for .

Stay away from IO inch aks gun they tend to be very hit and miss as do the earlier tantal CAI 5.45 guns .

If you want a ar style rifle the sig 556r is great if you get a gen 2 gun ( gen 1 had problems)

AK 47 / 74 Rifles - Atlantic Firearms | AR15 & AK47 Rifles has a lot of look at and see what you like Classic Firearms - Military Surplus Guns and Rifles, Saiga Firearms, Classic Guns, Surplus Ammo, and more! has cheep cheep ak74 .

Also note that most of these gun were made for non american so the LOP can be very short so you may need to get a folding stock or a NATO lenght stock .

They are great guns man no matter what you buy ..

Also the SAR 1 series guns are very nice and have mag dimples to hold the mag better but you have to thread the barrels on those . Also the mak90 ak are very nice.

I would also recommend you understand what pre 89 and 922r mean. Basicly any gun imported into the USA pre 1989 could have all the scary stuff you want on it . This was done with in 1989 so after that all imported guns were normal imported with thumb-hole stocks and 10 round only mags . In the usa a cetian number of USA parts ( 922r ) was added to make them ' made in the USA' guns and thus legal for sale and to take 30+ mags . The problems is some people did not do a good job converting post 89 guns so you have to check for cant and gas block isues . Also made in China guns of any kind save shotguns were banned from import in the 90s so they are a bit more expensive .

Here is a pre 89 china ak IMG_1810.JPG this is a pure foreing gun no USA parts in it f1cakgpwasrufbig.jpg is a wsar 10 that is 922r complient usally the trigger/piston/handguards /reciciver is USA made and the small parts and often the stock are not .

You are looking for a gun with a chrom barrel if you can and if a non USA one all the better .

I also liek the sks m or d rifle they are sks rifles that take normal ak mags .. They are fun to add to the collection
    Aceoky, mano3, DetChris and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatrix View Post
    I've researched them. Seems to be the general consensus that the AK's with Milled Receivers are best. They're also more expensive. Arsenal is always getting very good reviews. I'd start with them and see if they're in your affordable range.
    The soviets moved from milled receivers to stamped receivers with the introduction of the AKM, less than a decade after the AK-47 began to be issued. The milled receivers are more expensive, as well as adding weight to the rifles. Stamped receivers are still perfectly servicable.

I personally have been happy with my WASR, but maybe I just got lucky. Fit and finish is not up to the same level as the Yugo rifles though. But I didn't really buy an AK because I wanted it to look really pretty.

I generally don't like any of the folding AK stocks, they are cool, but getting a solid cheek weld with most is a challenge. Especially with underfolders.
    mano3 and Rock and Glock like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

If anyone should know: rivits.jpg

Depends on what you want I guess. I believe that milled heat-up faster and hold the heat more than stamped. Probably not too much of a concern with a semi-automatic I guess. if you have the cash and want a high-end the Sig 556r has ironed out their initial problems.
    CHRISTMAS SPECIAL - SIG 556R Classic Rifle - 7.62x39 - Free Shipping

K-var sells Aresnals which are also solid rifles:
    https://www.k-var.com/shop/SLR-107-S...ceiver-Rifles/

If your handy and have some tools you might consider bending your own:
    Receiver Flats - AK-Builder.com

But which ever way you decide to go think about picking up one of these:
    https://www.apexgunparts.com/product...products_id/81
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    The soviets moved from milled receivers to stamped receivers with the introduction of the AKM, less than a decade after the AK-47 began to be issued. The milled receivers are more expensive, as well as adding weight to the rifles. Stamped receivers are still perfectly servicable.

I personally have been happy with my WASR, but maybe I just got lucky. Fit and finish is not up to the same level as the Yugo rifles though. But I didn't really buy an AK because I wanted it to look really pretty.

I generally don't like any of the folding AK stocks, they are cool, but getting a solid cheek weld with most is a challenge. Especially with underfolders.

I like stamped as there seems to be more and chepper atermarket stuff for them. And I like wsar too cheep and fun.

I do not like most of the simple side/underfolding stock. However ace makes a nic comfy side folder and the mako ar ones are nice. Also paracord help to wrap . And the yuko ak are nice looking but the fact that they are different then other ak out there in terms of stuff fiting to them makes me turned off

The WASR 10/63 is generally considered the bottom of the barrel AK. That being said, I have one. Its fabulous. Its a straight gun. No canted sights, mag seats well. Ive put about 600rds through it, never cleaned it, and so far its at 100% reliability. No "well, the ammo was bad, or it was my problem not holding it right"... Its been 100%.

For a high-end AK, go with an Arsenal SGL-21.

Honestly, for me, the WASR works just fine. Not fancy, or even exceptionally high quality, but it goes bang every time, and the bullet hits where the sights aim. What more could you ask for?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck808 View Post
    The WASR 10/63 is generally considered the bottom of the barrel AK. That being said, I have one. Its fabulous. Its a straight gun. No canted sights, mag seats well. Ive put about 600rds through it, never cleaned it, and so far its at 100% reliability. No "well, the ammo was bad, or it was my problem not holding it right"... Its been 100%.

For a high-end AK, go with an Arsenal SGL-21.

Honestly, for me, the WASR works just fine. Not fancy, or even exceptionally high quality, but it goes bang every time, and the bullet hits where the sights aim. What more could you ask for?
    Yeah ak are ak as long as you check them out good ( no cant ,min mag wobble , smooth bolt ) they are fun cheep way to burn through ammo.

I like em as you can stick all sorts of stuff on there (stocks,railes ) etc and it all works. If I wanted a nice AK I get a pre 89 euro/china ak or maybe a slr 95 or other arsnal or such. But as long as it goes bang and hit somewhere on target it dont care if one is shiner then other

MJK
    I picked up a Radom arsenal underfolder made in Poland and imported before ineffective restrictions were pit in place. This is my favorite "go to" rifle as it fits the 25-200 yard gap quite nicely for defensive purposes. As someone mentioned you can't get a good cheek weld with an underfolder, but then its role is not one which requires sub-MOA accuracy to be effective.

The Automatik Kalashnikov is an awesome design!
    Aceoky likes this.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

I have 2 Arsenals and 1 Yugo opap. My Arsenals (1 stamped, 1 milled) are quite good but let me tell that they are not perfect and quite frankly, I enjoy using the Yugo more. I keep the Yugo in its natural form (wood, no polymer). Don't be afraid of the newer, post 2011, WASR models. Quality has gotten better. I've been shopping for some new AK's and have seen a lot of garbage, new and old, out there. Garbage means, sights aren't aligned, rivets aren't flush, rivet dents, rust, glue, lots of friction on charging handle, top cover rattle, safety lever too loose or too tight, handguard issues, bad threads on muzzle, mag not seating easily, etc. and all that is stuff you can find at the shop; not including some hiccups that can occur after purchase like faulty actions and cycling and questionable MOA.

Try See as many models in person before you buy anything. And don't rush the process.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

I've been considering an AK platform for some time now, go back and forth on the caliber issue, but do lean towards the 7.62

For myself, I realize that I'm not going to shoot 100's of thousands of rounds thru it and I'm not going to war with it either (not to say it couldn't/wouldn't be used for defensive purposes should the need arise) so a stamped receiver will be more then durable enough, besides stamped have been going to war for a long time (and are lighter weight) and I don't need (or want) to spend big bucks to get a durable AK

My choice in the 47 platform would be the Zastava M70 O- PAP (Atlantic Firearms had them for $599 with 2/mags)
    My choice in the 74 platform would be the Waffen Works Ak-74 (Classic Firearms has them from $599 to $799 depending on the package)

The Gen2 Sig Rifle is quite nice, but it's not an AK as such.

As mentioned Arfcom has some good info but I like this site better: The AK Files Forums - Powered by vBulletin
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

Ex Member
    I have owned 15-20 over the last 25 years. All worked 100% EXCEPT the big bucks Arsenal. GIANT POS of a gun. Probably the best for the money is one of the Yugo M70AB2's.

I have a couple of the Romanian WASRs. I even rolled the dice and bought the newer one from the internet, sight-unseen. No trouble with them, nothing fancy about them. Simply handle one, verify that there is no cant in the gas tube or sights, and then decide from there if it's what you really want. It should function just fine regardless. They are both fixed stock models; the underfolders don't really do it for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links