Weapon Light for Rifle

Weapon Light for Rifle

This is a discussion on Weapon Light for Rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey Everyone, I'm looking to put a weapon light on my AR-15. Already have it narrowed down (I think) to the Streamlight Strion LED. It ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Weapon Light for Rifle

Weapon Light for Rifle

Hey Everyone,
    I'm looking to put a weapon light on my AR-15. Already have it narrowed down (I think) to the Streamlight Strion LED. It will not be a dedicated weapon light - I will leave it on the weapon when other flashlights can be used for various tasks around the house and take it off when I need the extra lumens for the task at hand (power outage, backpacking, etc.). I EDC a smaller flashlight, so this larger light will remain on the weapon probably 75% of the time.

My only concern is that this light is rechargeable. I can order it with both AC and DC chargers (for home and vehicle), so I would be able to charge from my truck if the power went out. I am concerned, however, that I may run into a situation where I can't easily access a place to recharge (for instance, while hog hunting at night OR while backpacking). This is where I can see the definite advantage to having a 'disposable' battery operated light as you can always carry extras. Do any of you use rechargeable lights on your rifles/shotguns? Or do you strictly stick to lights operated by AAA, AA, or CR123 batteries? Thanks for any input!

-crl

I stick to CR123 lights. There are rechargeable Cr123's now of good quality, but still not quite the efficiency of regular CR123's. I'd use them for admin type use, but not in a weapon light.

Also, I'd strongly suggest looking at the Surefire Fury. 500 lumens with a great beam profile and an excellent light for regular use as well. Streamlight makes a good product, but I've had the best exposure with Surefire and that's why I've stuck with them for a decade now.

Some Surefire rechargeable lights allow you to use Cr123's also. Check if Streamlight does as well. If not, I'd go with a standard light and use rechargeable Cr123's most of the time. Something I still need to so myself.
    glockman10mm and OD* like this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Thanks for the input, that is right in line with price and blows the Strion out of the water in terms of lumens and CR123 capability. I'll definitely look into it. Any advice on a mount off the top of your head? I'll do some searching myself, but it sounds like you use/understand their products and may have a good option or two.

Surefire Fury (momentary on version) with a IWC mount-n-slot

Last edited by tmoore912; November 19th, 2013 at 06:01 PM.
    jonconsiglio, munch520 and OD* like this.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Quote Originally Posted by lambo969 View Post
    Thanks for the input, that is right in line with price and blows the Strion out of the water in terms of lumens and CR123 capability. I'll definitely look into it. Any advice on a mount off the top of your head? I'll do some searching myself, but it sounds like you use/understand their products and may have a good option or two.
    I use a Danger Close mount with my Fury and Gear Sector mounts with my scouts and now with my E1B/Scout (I broke the body of my mini scout so now I use an E1B body and scout head and tailcap). The Danger Close rides low and snug. If I was removing it often, I'd buy the LaRue or Troy QD mount.

Some guys like the VTAC, but I haven't used it. IWC and Haley Strategic make great mounts too that are really nice with shorthand guards or with the new keymod rails.

If I was using a Magpul MOE hand guard, I'd use an IWC direct mount and bypass adding a rail section. They make a great product and they also produce the mounts for Haley Strategic.

OD* likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

RKM
    I use a very budget friendly combination of a Streamlight Polytec light, and VTAC mount.

Thanks for the pics guys, that helps a lot. I am running a 10" quad rail, and it looks like these mounts and lights would work well. The LaRue mounts look like a good option for easy attachment/detachment like you mentioned jonconsiglio. I also like the look of the IWC that you mentioned and tmoore912 posted a picture of - the fact that it extends the light out a little farther may help keep some real estate open for my hands on the shorter rail I'm running. Do you notice much of a barrel shadow with that mount tmoore912? And jonconsiglio, I assume you are running a longer rail on a 16" barrel or an SBR with the rail coming out to the flash hider?

Thanks again for the feedback guys, the pictures and first hand experience are really helpful.

-Connor

I just DUCT tape a mag light to the barrel and call it good.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I just DUCT tape a mag light to the barrel and call it good.
    Both my Mini 14 and my Rem 870 have a Mag Light XL50 duct taped to them. For home defense, it is more than sufficient. Can be easily turned on/off with the support hand.

If you imagine yourself kicking in doors, then you might want something more durable.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Haha, I never thought of duct tape. Definitely a cheap quick detachable mount as long as you have a pocket knife handy! I definitely don't see myself kicking in doors so it would work in a pinch

You guys are silly. My Fury will light up shadow areas that other lights cannot and will fill an area with light. Also.... Actually, there's nothing more I can say here. If you don't get it, you just don't get it.

OP, the rifles in that pic are an 11.5" BCM with 10" LaRue rail and a 9" AAC 300 Blackout with an 8" KAC URX 3 rail. I have plenty of other pics in my Flickr account under the same as my username here of rifles from 9" to 20" with carbine to 12" hand guards using different lights in different positions over the years.

I don't care if you kick doors, are a glorified babysitter like me, work LE SWAT/patrol, are mil or are a new shooter that enjoys the hobby, quality is quality.

I've broken the Surefire Scout and a Streamlight TLR 1. So personally, I want the best I can get as it will lessen my chances of breaking an important piece of kit. I've also broken a KAC URX II rail, 2 of their integrated front sights, a Troy folding front sight, a receiver extension, an EoTech many moons ago and have shot out a number of barrels. None of these things were preceded by kicking a door. Just sayin'.

I'm using the Surefire M952V (tan) which is a 150 lumen light with the IR capability built into the bezel. Amazon has them for $248 rather than the Surefire price of $595. I get enough spill with the new bezel design to fill most rooms that need clearing. I have used the VTAC mount with other Surefire lights as well as Haley Strategic mounts with the WML light. I also have some of the older Surefire M9XX series lights that have run well through the years but they sport incandescent bulbs.
    Attached Images
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

It's not about faceshooting or being a lowly civ, it's about illuminating your surroundings so you can discern friend or foe. The Fury and x300U are incredible in this capacity, the spill literally fills the entire room. With low power WMLs you don't get much spill and have to flag a target to ID it, a dangerous practice. If you think that important role can be filled with a Maglite then there's nothing more we can say.

How is your gun setup OP? I've recently changed to a x300U at 12 o'clock setup and am really a fan so far (only 550 rounds at lowlight training). It's a lot easier to spend this on a light when it can be easily used on rifles or pistols.

From 25 yards, you can see how the spill lights up targets. And this is outside; without walls to contain the light.

tmoore912, jonconsiglio and OD* like this.
    Monotony is the awful reward for the careful

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

Like munch520, I too like the X300u. I run it at 12 o'clock, and can be activated while shooting strong or weak hand.

OD* likes this.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

It has been great. I struggled with light setups for a while, as the suppressor would throw a pretty big shadow based on where the light was. This was especially a problem with the light at 9. Shadow from the can would cover a large section of hall/doors to my right.

With the light at 12, shadows are cast at my feet.
    atctimmy and OD* like this.
    Monotony is the awful reward for the careful

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links