What would you do?

What would you do?

This is a discussion on What would you do? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have cabelas and gander mountain in my backyard. Which AR15 would you buy from one of them. Budget = 1200 Looking for best for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: What would you do?

What would you do?

I have cabelas and gander mountain in my backyard. Which AR15 would you buy from one of them.

Budget = 1200

Looking for best for my money. I could just buy cheapest and get good optic and lots of ammo. But not sure if that's a good plan.

Colt.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

$1200 is a fine budget for an AR purchase. I'd purchase a mid-grade M4-style carbine. Rather than try to "package" optics, accessories & ammo into the equation, I prefer to go slower. Careful deliberation, one piece at a time, has always ended-up providing me a more satisfactory result.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Some folks are probably going to ask what your intended purpose for it is. SHTF? Range toy? Hunting?
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

Sticking with Cabelas or Gander Mtn might limit your options. Lots of good choices in that range. BCM MID16 Mod 0 comes to mind. Let us know what you end up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    Colt.
    Walmart will likely have the best price compared to Gander and Cabela's on a 6920.

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Ruger has a piston driven AR for around that price. You might want to look at that.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Quote Originally Posted by sammage View Post
    Walmart will likely have the best price compared to Gander and Cabela's on a 6920.
    Yep!

LE6920 w/Magpul for something like $1167. No brainer.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by Hodad View Post
    Ruger has a piston driven AR for around that price. You might want to look at that.
    After owning a Ruger SR556, I would recommend sticking with a good quality DI rifle. Parts commonality and significantly lighter weight trump the perceived reliability. I say perceived because I have not had a single malfunction with a quality DI AR-15 with MANY rounds fired. I don't see the benefit if one is judicious with post shooting maintenance.
    Colt, BCM or Daniel Defense would be my recommendation and Colt will probably have the most amiable price tag.
    GlassWolf likes this.

walmart locally has 4 different models of colt AR 15 in stock. For 1,200 you can get a nice one, with magpul furniture.

Id forget the idea of optics considering your budget. Get one with iron sights, but the option to mount optics later.

Lets try it another way? Why in the world would you want the bottom of the barrel rifle, and put $400 + optics on it? If your gun doesnt run well, you wont need optics anyway.

I'd go with a Colt. In fact, I bought one last year on "Black Saturday" from the local Gander Mountain.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Gander is usually a ripoff and sells bubba garbage. Cabelas is only a bit better.
    atctimmy and sammage like this.
    Monotony is the awful reward for the careful

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Docster1516 View Post
    I have cabelas and gander mountain in my backyard.
    You have a BIG backyard!
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

VIP Member
    Colt 6920. Colt is the gold standard and the 6920 is as close as you can get to an actual M4 without paying for the tax stamp. Just to be clear, Colt builds the guns for our military and the 6920 is exactly the same except it has a 16 inch barrel and no 3 round burst.
    StormRhydr, Kilowatt3 and Chorizo like this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    If you want an utility (which you do) gun, follow the Colt advice.

Colt USED to build the guns for our military and they are a proven, cut no corners, maker when it comes to the 6920.

http://kitup.military.com/2013/02/ar...ntract-fn.html

Spend the couple of bucks extra and get the Colt.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

" I told my Pap and Mam I was comin' to the mountains…Mother Gue, I said, the Rocky Mountains are the marrow of the world. And by God I was right."
    Del Gue

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links