My AR 300 Blackout semi-lightweight build...

This is a discussion on My AR 300 Blackout semi-lightweight build... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; "Semi-lightweight" because I didn't go all out; mainly the barrel, handguard, and to a lesser extent the stock. I also bought what I could locally ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: My AR 300 Blackout semi-lightweight build...

Senior Moderator

My AR 300 Blackout semi-lightweight build...

"Semi-lightweight" because I didn't go all out; mainly the barrel, handguard, and to a lesser extent the stock. I also bought what I could locally and took what was available.

The barrel is from Wilson Combat - Tactical Lightweight, 16", 1-8 Twist

The flash hider is a Wilson Combat Accu-Tac Flash Hider, .30 Caliber:

And since I would be using a Wilson Combat barrel, it makes sense to use their gas block as well.

Since this will be for a 300 BO and I want it to cycle 110 gr to 220 gr loads, notice the barrel has a 1:8 twist so it should stabilize the heaver rounds, and knowing that unsuppressed ARs tend to not cycle the 220 gr loads, I decided to try an adjustable gas block:

I am hopeful that some setting will let the gun cycle with the heavier loads, but I kinda doubt it will. But even if it doesn't, it will still give me the option to eliminate 'over-gassing' and and I can tune the rifle action to the load. Because the adjustable gas block sets the tube a bit higher, it comes with a straight gas tube instead of the bent version and it's already installed in the gas block.

The hand guard is from Troy Industries and is full floating. I chose the longer hand guard because it adds little weight, protects the barrel a bit more, gives a generous 'rest' for bracing, and provides more hand position possibilities. Another advantage to the longer rail and the importance is individual/application dependent, but I've noticed when I add lights to an AR you get a lot of shadowing from the barrel. The further forward the light is the less shadowing you get.

I like this hand guard; it mounts securely over a standard barrel nut, but it does require a low profile gas block.

JD Machine has an upper that comes with the ejection port cover and forward assist assembly and they are already installed.

The bolt carrier group (fully assembled) came from Bravo Company:

I bought a Spike's lower from a local gunshop because they had one in stock:

And a CMMG internal parts kit including a grip. I also bought a mil spec carbine buffer tube, spring, and buffer from the same store - again, because it was in stock. I had a choice of mil spec or commercial and went with the mil spec because I already had a mil spec MagPul CTR stock.

The most difficult, tedious thing was installing the pivot pin. I lost the pin three times, and the spring went flying once, but I found them all. I finally made the installation tool out in the shop. It wasn't easy even then.

Finishing touches:
    I'll replace the standard grip with a MagPul MOE. I'll likely replace the MagPul stock with a lighter weight stock. I'll put some kind of scope on it, likely in the 1-5x range and I'm not sure what I'm going to do for a single point sling connection, but I've got two ideas about that.

The magazine is a Lancer translucent. I actually have three - 10, 20, & 30. I have to say I'm not big on 30 round magazines. If I was going fighting yeah, but to hunt pigs an HD??? I'll probably have the 10 rounder in the gun while hunting and probably a 20 round backup.

I have a Liberty suppressor being processed, should that ever be approved. BTW, I just got an email from the Tennessee Firearms Association stating that Obama is trying to make it more difficult and more expensive for citizens to own NFA items. If we don't do something to stop this, NFA items may be a thing of the past for civies.
    40Bob and blitzburgh like this.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Good looking rifle. I like I the hand guard especially. I take it the gas block requires a Allen wrench to adjust?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Good looking rifle.
    Thanks Rocky!

...I like I the hand guard especially.
    I picked that one from many! First it's a smaller diameter than many which saves weight. Then it has all those lightening holes which also reduces weight significantly, and it fits the standard barrel nut.

...I take it the gas block requires a Allen wrench to adjust?
    Yeah, it does. It has a set screw that adjusts the gas, and a locking set screw behind that one to lock it in place. I really don't like that but that's what it is.

That wasn't my first choice. My first choice was one from Syrac that has detents to hold the adjustment screw setting and Spike's also makes one with a detent. I'll probably replace the Wilson with one of these.

The detents would make adjustments much easier!!!

Senior Moderator
    Here's the Syrac, they call it a click adjuster, but it's a detent too. I don't think this has been released yet. At least I couldn't find one.

There's really no reason for you to be adjusting the gas on the 300, so I'd personally remove that option. Other than that, it's a great setup.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

VIP Member
    The rail in the photo looks more like a VTAC rail than the troy listed.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    There's really no reason for you to be adjusting the gas on the 300, so I'd personally remove that option. Other than that, it's a great setup.
    I've shot a 220 gr BO in a 16" barrel (no suppressor) and it would not come close to operating the bolt and ejecting the case. I've heard of others experiencing the same thing.

I am hopeful that the adj. gas block will let a bit more gas flow but I think that's just wishful thinking; I think all adjustable gas blocks do is reduce gas flow/pressure.

As far as I know, the only way to deal with the problem is to increase the gas pressure or tune the buffer and buffer spring to the 220 gr load, then the gun is too gassy for the 110 gr.

Is there another approach to this problem???

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    The rail in the photo looks more like a VTAC rail than the troy listed.
    I got the picture from the Troy industries website. I ordered it from Amazon; it came in a Troy logo box. Maybe it's a collaboration between Troy and VTAC. Troy calls it the Alpha rail???
    atctimmy likes this.

Sponsor
    Nice set up sir!!!!
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Nice set up sir!!!!
    Is that you Brownie!!!!

Great to hear from you - I haven't heard from you in a while!

Senior Moderator
    Shoot Jon, I forgot to say thanks - it's ok for a long barreled AR. It's kinda funny; I bought the lower for a pistol build. Then I realized I already had the WC barrel, etc. and I couldn't resist finishing it off with the lower. Now I've got to start all over again on the pistol which will eventually become a SBR.
    jonconsiglio likes this.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Is that you Brownie!!!!

Great to hear from you - I haven't heard from you in a while!
    Yup, MIA for awhile, lots of changes the last 4 years. Still training living in Az. Hope all is well with you and yours, stay safe over the holiday. You still climbing those really tall trees?
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Sorry man, I came back to edit my post then for sidetracked. What I meant to say, was that the adjustable gas block won't do you any good for what you hope it will.

A normal gas block opening is larger than the gas port in the barrel. So, there's no way that it will allow more gas to pass through.

Mine will cycle 220 subs, but barely. What I'd do is just keep a lighter buffer with me if it was that important. I'm not sure what weight WC suggests wih that barrel, but I'd run that normally then carry the lighter one in my bag. Or, you might want to try the Vltor A5. It's a LOT more tolerant than a carbine RE and buffer.

That's going to be a fine shooting rifle.

i have no experience with what I'm about to say, just to be clear.... In addition to a lighter buffer, you could also use a reduced power action spring. So, when you go to shoot the subs unsuppressed, you can simply pop the take down pin, pull the juicer (which almost always pulls the spring too) and replace it with the lighter combo. 30 seconds of work.
    Last edited by jonconsiglio; November 26th, 2013 at 03:48 PM.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

VIP Member
    Looks like you have done your homework!

What kind of loads are you going to work up. We plan to run 110/125 gr OR 210 gr sub sonics. Not sure what the best powder combo is.

(I have to 1-8 twist 16" Krieger SS) ( I would go with the 220 gr but I got a whole box of 500 210 gr to use up.) Maybe they will cycle a bit better.
    I forgot about the lighter buffer spring, I need to pick one up. Glad you shared this with us. Thanks.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Senior Moderator
    Sorry man, I came back to edit my post then for sidetracked.
    Well you better watch it - we don't allow no sidetracking around here

...What I meant to say, was that the adjustable gas block won't do you any good for what you hope it will.

A normal gas block opening is larger than the gas port in the barrel. So, there's no way that it will allow more gas to pass through.
    Well, I kinda thought that going in, but I also had it bouncing around in my mind to open up the gas port in the barrel just a bit. Then with the adjustable gas block I should be able to switch by just turning a screw.

...Mine will cycle 220 subs, but barely. What I'd do is just keep a lighter buffer with me if it was that important. I'm not sure what weight WC suggests with that barrel, but I'd run that normally then carry the lighter one in my bag.
    That's a good thought too. Hmmm.....hmmm....What about running a lighter buffer. That would make the gun a bit lighter, which for my purposes is a good thing and then to shoot the 110 grs, turn the gas down. I may have to play with that!

...Or, you might want to try the Vltor A5. It's a LOT more tolerant than a carbine RE and buffer.
    Boy you would have to say that! I've been drooling over one of those already.

...That's going to be a fine shooting rifle.
    I hope so. Tomorrow I'll order and American Gold trigger for it.

...i have no experience with what I'm about to say, just to be clear.... In addition to a lighter buffer, you could also use a reduced power action spring. So, when you go to shoot the subs unsuppressed, you can simply pop the take down pin, pull the juicer (which almost always pulls the spring too) and replace it with the lighter combo. 30 seconds of work.
    Referring to my comments above, I think you're on to something here. Although, I want to try the lighter buffer (and spring if necessary) as the stock setup and to shoot 110 grs, etc., I can just turn the gas down a bit.

I'm working on a way to make the adjustable block a two or three indexed selection. One for subs and one for supers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links