.30 (7.62) rifle help

This is a discussion on .30 (7.62) rifle help within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm looking for a rifle similar to the Socom 16 or Mini 30. I want a rifle in .30, preferably .308...7.62x39 if need be. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: .30 (7.62) rifle help

.30 (7.62) rifle help

I'm looking for a rifle similar to the Socom 16 or Mini 30. I want a rifle in .30, preferably .308...7.62x39 if need be. I don't want an AR. I already have one. Aside from a SKS and AK, what else out there is 7.62 magazine fed? I know about the Ruger Gunsite Scout but I'm not crazy about the bolt action. My Remington 700 has that covered. What else is there? The Socom 16 is $1,800 in my area and the Mini 30 is non-existent. Thanks.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

2. Remove Ads

I too am in the same decision stance as you. The other choices are the Sig 556R which uses 7.62x39 and can currently be purchased for $997 BNIB and also the PTR91 which fires 7.62x51 / .308. I hope this helps. God Bless :)

There's always the FAL, currently produced by DS Arms - price is in the same neighborhood as the M1A1/Socom 16.

If you're looking for something other than battle/defensive rifles, there's the Browning BAR (semi-auto), BLR (lever action) and Remington 7600 - all chambered in .308 and all are magazine fed.
    NONAME762 and Kavalander like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member
    rugergunner and blitzburgh like this.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

I like the SKS. It's inexpensive, rugged and, accurate. I used mine to deer and hog hunt. When I raised or lowered it from my stand, a scratch wouldn't bother me as it would on an expensive rifle. Size was also good, too in negotiating the thicker woods, swamps and, blow-downs. Semi-auto meant that I could quickly fire multiple rounds if I was to suddenly meet up with an aggressive hog. It's a good, reliable weapon for the cost of just under $300.
    NONAME762, mook012 and Ghost1958 like this.
    "If you can do it, you damn well better be able to look at it!".....Matt Helm

Sig 716 and the FN SCAR 17 are a couple of other box fed semi auto 7.62NATO options. Sig is less $$ than the M1A. SCAR is more.

I went through this same decision a while back. Decided on a Marlin 336 lever gun in .30-30. While it has a tube magazine, I find that I like it. Easy to top off on the fly, and adding a butt cuff gives 10+6+1 on the gun, in a very light and handy package. And for the price of the other options, you can outfit your entire family with lever guns. Just a consideration.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I went through this same decision a while back. Decided on a Marlin 336 lever gun in .30-30. While it has a tube magazine, I find that I like it. Easy to top off on the fly, and adding a butt cuff gives 10+6+1 on the gun, in a very light and handy package. And for the price of the other options, you can outfit your entire family with lever guns. Just a consideration.

Depending on the usage a 44 mag lever gun is in the league but doubles the loaded ammo.
    Kavalander likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

When America first got into the Vietnam War troops carried the M14 30cal MBR. A decent shot would kill a VC with one round. God only knows why but America went with the M16 cuz troops could carry 300R of 556 easier than 200R of 30cal. If you want a good MBR and it's affordable and you don't mind humping the weight my vote would be for an M1A.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    There's always the FAL, currently produced by DS Arms - price is in the same neighborhood as the M1A1/Socom 16.

If you're looking for something other than battle/defensive rifles, there's the Browning BAR (semi-auto), BLR (lever action) and Remington 7600 - all chambered in .308 and all are magazine fed.
    I forgot about the FN FAL as Gasmitty mentions above. This is a strong weapon also. The BAR from WWII fame is a brute. Depending on model they run IIRC 13-14 to 17 pounds less loaded mag. I picked one up about 3-4 years ago at a gun show. No way at my age I could hump a BAR now...I'm built more like carrying an M1 Carbine. Getting old kinda sucks the big one.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    I forgot about the FN FAL as Gasmitty mentions above. This is a strong weapon also. The BAR from WWII fame is a brute. Depending on model they run IIRC 13-14 to 17 pounds less loaded mag. I picked one up about 3-4 years ago at a gun show. No way at my age I could hump a BAR now...I'm built more like carrying an M1 Carbine. Getting old kinda sucks the big one.
    What do you know bout getting old, You are still a snot nosed kid.

As for the .308s, the old Belgian Browning B.A.Rs were real sweethearts. Winchester 100s were great rifles. Lightweight too.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    Depending on the usage a 44 mag lever gun is in the league but doubles the loaded ammo.
    If I'm reaching for a rifle, I want a rifle - something that will defeat soft body armor and other intermediate barriers. A butt cuff solves the capacity issue. No contest - I'd go .30-30, and the OP is looking for a .30-something.
    Eric357 likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post

^^^^Sounds as though^^^^^^^^

The FAL, or any of its variants (HK93, STG?58), with the CETEME being the lowest end of the spectrum, but certainly not a bad choice, would be a good fit by your post.
    ^^^I think that's right(the ST variant)
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    There is also the Saiga Sporter 7.62X39. Price runs in the $350-400 range. I picked mine up at a C&E Gun Show a couple of years back. I notice C&E has a show in Fayetteville the weekend of Dec 7&8.

saiga sporter.jpg
    kaikane0812 and 5lima30ret like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    CETME = HK G3 built in Spain by a Spanish Government Armory. The semi version is called the HK 41.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_&_Koch_G3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_%26_Koch_HK41
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links