Winchester Model 12 in 16 Gauge

Winchester Model 12 in 16 Gauge

This is a discussion on Winchester Model 12 in 16 Gauge within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have the Winchester Model 12 shotgun that my Grandfather had. My dad has had it and since we have a gun safe now, he ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Winchester Model 12 in 16 Gauge

Thumbs up Winchester Model 12 in 16 Gauge

I have the Winchester Model 12 shotgun that my Grandfather had. My dad has had it and since we have a gun safe now, he want's me to store it there. It is a 16 gauge.

I don't know when Granddad purchased it, but if the serial numbers listed on a site I went to are correct, the shotgun was probably made in 1962.

I don't have a picture of it and I know this thread is useless without pics...ha ha, but it is a typical shotgun of that make and model. Nice wood stock, and fore end with a full choke. It does not shoot 3 inch magnums, just 2 3/4 inch shells.

The gun is in really good shape, I remember Granddad taking us to Virginia where he grew up to hunt rabbits around Thanksgiving in the early 1970's. He used that shotgun to hunt with.

I don't know value. Some have said it could be worth $500 or more and since it is 16 gauge, it may be worth a bit more because they didn't make many of that gauge.

Does anyone know anything about them? Anyone here own one? I'm curious to know more about the shotgun.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

One of the finest & most respected pump shotguns out there. Discontinued in '64, though I think the might have brought them in and out of production after that. It was expensive to produce compared to later pumps, but thats a great gun.

They were king of the pump guns. The Remington WingMaster took over the crown about the time win discontinued them, perhaps a bit before.

I dont know if 16 ga would up the value or not. Its one of those gauges that didnt take off in the USA like they had hoped. At one time it was the most popular gauge in europe. I do know it will be a much more rare than 12 or 20 gauge.

Darn fine gun you got.
    JoJoGunn likes this.

Is this the shotgun with the exposed hammer? I think the model 12 was a pump. Seems to me a gun handed down from your grampa has more value sentiment wise than a monetary value but that's just me. There again too a working Winchester pump that's 51 years old would be worth a pretty penny.

-----------
    I know Norinco the Chinese arms maker came out w/the exposed hammer model 12 a few years ago. The Chinese copy everything.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

ROFL, noname, try finding one that DOESNT work. They are seriously fine guns, and were workhorse in the duck blinds, dove fields, and in the woods going after squirrels.

Btw, its internal hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    Is this the shotgun with the exposed hammer? I think the model 12 was a pump. Seems to me a gun handed down from your grampa has more value sentiment wise than a monetary value but that's just me. There again too a working Winchester pump that's 51 years old would be worth a pretty penny.
    JoJoGunn likes this.

Hay cut me a wee bitta slack huh Slim?!? I'm getting old...
    JoJoGunn and StormRhydr like this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Senior Moderator
    The Model 12 is pretty much "the" definitive Winchester pump gun of the 20th century. I don't recall if all M12s were the takedown type, but that was a well-engineered feature that retained its tightness over decades of use.

Unless yours is in pristine condition, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot it a lot. You might even consider having that full choke opened up to modified for more versatility in the field, but pattern it before you do. 16 gauge is a nicely balanced load for nearly all upland hunting, and the shot column height relative to bore is relatively low, which results in a shorter shot string (perhaps less important these days with the improved shotshells, but still a basic advantage).
    bmcgilvray and JoJoGunn like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I promise I wasnt laughing at you. Just about that gun.

I had a fraternity brother I was duck hunting with who had one his grandfather bought. I had a brand spanking new rem WingMaster. I thought it was neat as could be that he had his grandfathers gun, and he thought it was neat as could be to have a new WingMaster. That guy came from an unreal hunting family, and that gun got USED! Magnum duck rounds and the like, for 3 generations. Still worked like new.

As I had to pay for my own gun, and he got one given to him, and a fine gun at that, I still think I was right, lol.

Hay cut me a wee bitta slack huh Slim?!? I'm getting old...
    JoJoGunn likes this.

-----------
    I know Norinco the Chinese arms maker came out w/the exposed hammer model 12 a few years ago. The Chinese copy everything.
    It is not the Winchester Model 97. That is the one with the exposed hammer. My mom's dad had one in 12 gauge but I think my now-dead-and-gone drunken uncle got it and probably traded it for a six pack of Falstaff. I really, really liked that gun too. It's a shame I never got the chance to have it.

This one belonged to my paternal Grandfather and it's a pump shotgun. I don't know if he bought it new or used, but either way you are correct, despite any monetary value, it is definitely a keepsake. If need be though, the ol' girl could shoot, it's definitely in that good of shape.

One caveat: I would NOT shoot steel shot out of that gun. A couple of reasons: 1. Its got a full choke. You need at least imp cyl for steel shot. 2. You would most likely "blow the choke" out of the barrel. 3. I have been in a duck blind when a barrel blew on an older gun shooting magnum steel loads.

That gun was made for lead, and thats all Id shoot out of it.
    JDE101 and JoJoGunn like this.

Senior Member Array oldranger53's Avatar
    I read somewhere that magnum loads were not considered for the 16ga because the charge-to-diameter ratio was already "optimum" and improving on it was unnecessary.
    Sorry I don't have a link to share about this. It was a long time ago (pre Internet) when I read it.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Rugby PRO now Free
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    "Only Saints and Warriors are allowed in my world now, and forever."
    OR53 1998

VIP Member
    West of the Big Muddy and between the Borders.
    I own three model 12s in 16 ga and one in twelve ga I have that someone shortened the barrel as a defensive gun.

A great classic gun. Do not shorten the barrel it is worth much more intact. Makes a great quail gun with a mod or improved cyl barrel.

Do not shot steel shot. This is not a duck gun. It makes a great dove and quail gun.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

NRA Life Member since 1972

Thanks for the advice and praise.

I don't plan on shortening the barrel or any of that. I will remember to use lead shot only if I ever shoot the thing. Officially my dad owns it but I will eventually end up with it.

I gave her a good cleaning, didn't know when the last time it was done. The thing is built like a tank and probably will last a very long time.

VIP Member
    West of the Big Muddy and between the Borders.
    Store it barrel down. Lots of those old guns were stored buttstock down and the oil seeped into the head of the stock making the stock soft and rotten.

Smooth action and great shooters. Consider yourself blessed.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

NRA Life Member since 1972

A very, very nice gun! I used to have an early 1200 in 16 gauge, though not as classy. Start collecting some ammo, it can be found, just not at Wally's... and shoot that puppy! (the gun, not the dog!)
    You are gonna takes some pictures, ain't ya?
    StormRhydr likes this.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

What makes the Model 12 so sweet in 16 is the fact that's it built on a 20 gauge frame. Model 12 12 bores are among the best guns ever made, however they are HEAVY ! The lighter weight model 12 16 "hits like a 12 carries like a 20 " was the old saying.
    Ammo manufactures never made a 3 inch 16 gauge. The 16 started life as 2 9/16inch length then became standard 2 3/4 length I think in 1930's.
    With a 1 1/8 load the 16 bore will consistently produce better more even patterns than any other gauge.

Two things hurt the 16 gauge. First was the 3 inch 20 gauge shell, yeah it holds 1 1/4 oz. of shot, but they will never convince me it patterns worth a hoot. Second, a lot of manfactures would put 16 gauge barrels on a 12 gauge frame! So why carry a 16 if its going to weigh as much as a 12 gauge?

The 16 gauge with the proper 16 gauge frame shooting 1 1/8 oz. of shot is as close to perfection as a upland gun will ever get.
    Before the steel shot waterfowl law came into effect alot of old time duck hunters swore the 16 gauge penetrated better than 12 or even 10 bores. Maybe. I think is was the tight consistent patterns is what they were seeing.

It has been popular as of late to take model 12 16 bores & rebarrel them to 28 gauge, as Winchester never offerd the Model 12 in 28. The 28 like the 16 has quite a cult following.

The model 12 in any gauge is quite the gun to own, with its high content of nickel along with there premium high carbon steel a combo no longer offerd by anyone. Model 12's get smoother with age.

Brother you have one fine shotgun there. Enjoy!

A 16 bore model 12 is a thinking man's gun, carries light hits hard patterns wonderfully.
    JoJoGunn and glockcoma like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links