New AK - what to look out for?

This is a discussion on New AK - what to look out for? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm picking up my 1st AK this week (a Century Arms Yugo N-PAP) and I am wondering what are common issues to look for during ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By BlueNinjaGo
  • 1 Post By Nmuskier

Thread: New AK - what to look out for?

I'm picking up my 1st AK this week (a Century Arms Yugo N-PAP) and I am wondering what are common issues to look for during an initial inspection? I'll be checking to see that it has the correct double-stack bolt and looking for obvious mechanical issues but beyond that I'm clueless. The rifle is new and I have read some reviews saying the build quality is decent on these N-PAPs so I'll probably be ok but I sure would feel better if I knew what to look out for when I go to pick it up. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Make sure the front sight isn't canted. And might as well check to make sure the gas tube isn't canted as well.

Make sure the safety engages and the trigger works.
    StormRhydr and tdave like this.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Used? The list of dumb acts and Frankenstein mods is endless. Muzzle to stock, make sure everything is centered, square, or plumb. Pins and rivets. Check the bolt, chamber and muzzle for excessive wear or corrosion (a little surface crud is no big deal), firing pin moves freely.

New? Yes, gas tube and front sight post. Rivets in the frame are centered and properly seated (not over or under seated). Function check.
    tdave likes this.

Thanks guys.

Nmuskier, although this rifle is new, can you elaborate on what to watch for with the pins and rivets? I've seen this mentioned a couple of times, along with heat treating and hardness but I don't know much about it.

I may be mistaken (and/or maybe something has changed) but I was under the impression that the N-Pap's shipped with the single stack bolt (which shouldn't be difficult to change) and the O-Pap's "corrected" this and ship with the proper bolt?

As for the pins and rivets check out The AK Files Forums for details (including some good pics) of what to look for.
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

The Gen I N-PAPs did indeed come with the single stack bolt (and I think a fairly useless rail on the dust cover) but thankfully the current versions have the double stack bolt. I will be checking it out just to be sure though.

I am looking forward to the admin or mods at the AK Files activating my membership so I can use the search function. I couldn't find much about the pins and rivets with a quick browse but I did see a sticky about heat treating. I've read where the receivers wear at these locations but I'd really like to get the lowdown on this and see if it's anything I should have to worry about.

Here is a good link from a youtube channel that I both trust and enjoy watching. Good luck, and enjoy your new purchase.
    What you need to know when shopping for an AK47 variant - YouTube
    If you need to purchase bulk ammo for your new firearm, this is a good link to search for 7.62X39. Simply go to rifle ammo, and click on the caliber. GunBot 762x39 rifle ammo

^^^ Thanks for that. I just watched the vid and I think I have a better idea of what to look for now. Man, that IO piece with the crooked barrel is ugly.

Links