M&P Sport or Bushmaster XM-15 e2s orc

This is a discussion on M&P Sport or Bushmaster XM-15 e2s orc within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi guys, I'm 25 and have only been buying my own guns for a year or two due to broke student status. I've been buying ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: M&P Sport or Bushmaster XM-15 e2s orc

M&P Sport or Bushmaster XM-15 e2s orc

Hi guys,

I'm 25 and have only been buying my own guns for a year or two due to broke student status. I've been buying pistols for the most part. About the time I decided to get an AR the prices skyrocketed. They seem to be returning to normal but not quite. Anyways, I want an entry level AR. I have no desire to build one. I thought I had decided to get the M&P Sport but no one around the Louisville area (including buds and ky gun co.) had one. My local shop has one (with iron sights, flash hider, and adjustable stock) now for $750 which seems about $50 too high. They also have a new Bushmaster xm-15 e2s without any sights, so I assume it is the ORC model, also for $750. That seems too cheap. I know the m&p lacks the forward assist and dust cover, and I don't think either has a chromed lined barrel, but I don't think those things will really matter for a plinker like me. I also have heard bushmaster customer service has gone down hill since Freedom Group bought them.

I'd appreciate your opinions on the better buy.

Jared

2. Remove Ads

Between the two, go with the M&P. Among the entry level ARs, they are at the top, or right at it. Btw, they are known to hold up to the Tactical Response "Fighting Rifle" course. That course requires 1,500 rounds in two days.

Btw, Gander Mtn sells ARs, and sells the M&P. Thats where I bought my AR. There are 2 (I think) gander Mtns in KY.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    +1 on the MP-Sport! I'm sure Jon C. one of the resident experts on AR's will weigh in soon with the reasons for the choice!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

M&p... I have one, sweet shooter, 1500 plus rounds, including tulammo..... No hiccups

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

S&W over ALL!

Thanks guys for the quick replies.

Does the $750 sticker price bother you at all when the bushmaster comes with the accessories that the sport is missing for the same price?

Is $750 the new standard price for the Sport? I have no idea if I should wait any longer, bc I have no idea if prices will continue to drop or spike again?

In your price-range, I would check this Bush A1 from Bud's: Bushmaster A1 Semi-Automatic 223 Remington/5.56 NATO 30+1 $719.00 SHIPS FREE

Bushmaster XM-15E2S semi automatic carbine total barrel length 16" with suppressor.
    .223 Remington/5.56x45mm NATO
    14.5" M4 chrome-lined barrel with permanently attached phantom flash suppressor.
    1:9" twist with 6 grooves & lands
    30 round magazine
    A2 front sight base
    A1 upper receiver with fixed carry handle and rear sight
    7075 T6 aircraft-grade aluminum upper & lower receivers
    Manganese phosphate-coated
    Hard-anodized mil-spec finish
    Two-piece, plastic handguards
    Black M4 collapsible buttstock
    Accepts all M16 and AR-15 magazines
    34.5" overall length

M4 Profile 14.5 inch barrel (designed originally to accept the military M203 Grenade Launcher) with permanently attached Phantom Flash Suppressor for a total barrel length of just over 16 inches. Hard chrome lined in both bore and chamber for long life and ease of cleaning. Six position telestock is fitted when retracted, carbine length decreases by 4 inches for convenient handling/storage. Upper receiver is in original A1 configuration with dual flip-up aperture 300-800 meter rear sight (windage adjustable). Front sight is A2 square post (elevation adjustable. With operators safety manual 30 round magazine, orange safety block and black web sling.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Distinguished Member
    I personally have no interest in anything made by FG owned companies. Pretty much every company they aquire craps out in the quality control department.

Go for the S&W. If your LGS carries Windham Weaponry that would be a good choice as well.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Distinguished Member
    Never mind.....they just went OUT OF STOCK

It was a hell of a deal while it. lasted.

Buy neither.

Get this kit for $450 and get a lower receiver for $70 and you will have a quality weapon for $520. For the extra $80 for the tools and for $600 you will have the tools and a weapon much better than the other two you have posted.

PSA 16" M4 CMV Rifle Kit

https://www.primaryarms.com/Aero-Pre...p/ap501102.htm
    Last edited by Chorizo; December 2nd, 2013 at 08:38 PM. Reason: They went out of stock 10 minutes after posting
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

STAG ARMS SA3 RIGHT HAND 5.56 X 45 (.223)

What about this one? I think I'll jump on this Stag for under $800.

Out of your two choices, the M&P is the superior rifle.

I'd prefer one of the 3 Palmetto state armory rifles on sale today: https://palmettostatearmory.com/ with your choice of a Leupold 1-4x scope, eotech, or Aimpoint Pro for 1,000. Each of the optics is worth $350-400, so you are getting a solid rifle for $600ish.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Asked my Armorer buddy. he advocates the M&P over the Bush or Stag. I trust his judgement more than my own on long-guns.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

If your only choices on the planet were M&P, Stag, or Bushmaster, no question. M&P. Bushmaster is overpriced, Stag is about right, maybe a little high, M&P sounds right.

HOWEVER.....

You have received recommendations for PSA - which puts you in a rifle quality above both of your first options and Stag, plus you get an optic - which if you don't have, you will want and those are top quality optics. Not to mention you can probably find a Colt or BCM entry level for under $1100.

Do some searching here on "AR advice" or "First AR" and READ!

Buy once, cry once. You need to get past this "Got to have it now" feeling ASAP. If your budget is limiting you to $900, you don't have enough. There is other stuff like Mags, ammo, etc... that you are going to need as well. Keep saving money, and wait until you have at least $1500 (still a little shy) to go at it again.

Disregard this post if you only plan on having an AR for bragging rights, shooting dirt clods a few times a year, or have drank the Kool-aid the sales people have served you (they are trying to make a profit, not sell you quality).
    munch520 likes this.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

two things for you to consider. 1.) Windham Weaponry owns bushmaster again and they are built the same. 2.) Stag built parts for colt's military issue rifles for years before becoming their own company. Personally I would buy a stag model 1 over any of them. In my opinion the M&P isn't any better than the bushy it has a 1/7 twist m4 barrel, the aluminum isn't any stronger in the receiver than the bushmaster, and I've never seen any quality control issues in any bushmaster and I handle them a lot (I work in a store that sells BM, M&P's, and Stags). Nothing wrong with the M&P I just don't think it is any better than bushmaster
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large, is that they be properly armed."

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    I have put a lot of rounds through my Bushmaster without any problems. I do wish it had a little better trigger. IMO, a lot of the entry level AR's are very similar and it will really boil down to which one has the best price.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links