Defensive Carry banner

I just got a new H&R Pardner Pump Shotgun - SHTF ready

24K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  maxwell97 
#1 ·
Well I now own a Pump Action Shotgun. I did not want to spend a lot of money because this will be my SHTF backup. So I picked up an H&R Parnder Pump for $169 at Dicks. I am sure I could have found it for less if I waited, but I think it's a fair price. In my life, I have only shot around 10 rounds on a Shotgun at a family camp (many years ago). (I hit a few clay pigeons) :danceban: - So I need to take this out and practice.

Any advice for a new shotgun owner? Any simple maintenance tips? I plan on shooting it during my time off at Christmas (can't wait)

Also, I picked up some 2 3/4 Birdshot to practice with and #4 Remington. I will need more.

By the way, here is a review on the Pardner Pump (a major influence on my purchase)

Gun Review: H&R 1871 Pardner Pump Protector 12 Gauge | The Truth About Guns

:tongue:

#2 ·
Maintenance tip #1 - "RTFM" (read the friendly manual) - that'll tell you most of what you need to know. Nice thing about pump guns is that they're mechanically pretty simple, and cleaning is a snap. Most of the time you hardly need to use solvent on the bore, unless you're using some super-heavy loads. Plastic shot cups and clean-burning powders make for minimal scuzz left behind. I mostly use the one-piece fuzzy cleaning poles (with a pull-through oiler in the handle) for cleaning shotgun bores. Once the bore is clean, wipe soot off the bolt face, put the gun back together, and wipe the steel down with a silicone or oily rag, and you're good to go.

When you start shooting it, bring some big pieces of cardboard along. With birdshot, see how big the pattern is at 5 yards and 10 yards, then at maybe 50 feet or whatever you think your longest defensive shot will be. Then repeat the exercise with the buckshot load I hope you'll employ for defensive use (I won't use birdshot unless it's the only ammo I have) - those demonstrations should be informative for you.

#3 ·
I'd say get a bore snake for cleaning, it helps a ton. That and a longer target barrel. I personally like #4 buck shot. but do tests and see what works best for you.

#5 ·
I have the same shotgun and it mine is a splitting image for a Rem870--as a matter of fact I downloaded the Rem870 manual as my basis for any cleaning beyond just the bore. Not used that much but everytime I have taken it to the range just to test out some of the new home defense shotshells, it has always gone "boom" without a hint of problems. Cannot beat it for under $200--just keep it clean and oiled properly so non-use does not bring rust.

#7 ·
All twelve gauge shotguns kick. Some kick harder than others. This one kicks like an angry jackass with hemorrhoids.
:rofl:

What a colorfully written review. I've been looking for a cheap but reliable shotgun and it seems like this one fits the bill. I'll have to find it elsewhere though since I refuse to step foot in a Dick's store ever again.

Reactions: maxwell97
#9 ·
I've had the same gun with the 28" barrel. Has given me no problems, and I don't baby it.
It did me right this last weekend when I got a bobcat with it.
My son also has one - the 20 ga youth model. He's good with the clays and quail.
I keep them lubed up and they run well.

#12 ·
Love my pardner pumps. I've had a few of the security models and even decked one if them out. I used one for years as my primary waterfowl gun. That thing never let me down....it was used as an oar, axe to break through ice and even spent an afternoon at the bottom if Lake Ontario. I've since retired it from the duck blind and it's now my slug gun. Picked up a rifled barrel at Gander for $60, threw a new stock on it and a low power scope. It shoots Federal Fusion Sabots at 2" at 100yds.

Anyways, great purchase! They're better than the current 870's in my opinion.

#13 ·
Interesting - I need a gun for clays (primarily), maybe one of these would fit the bill. Is it really a clone of the 870? Would be nice if the parts and accessories were compatible.

I'll pay the extra $30 at Cabelas though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.