Mossberg MVP Patrol Rifle - What do you think?

This is a discussion on Mossberg MVP Patrol Rifle - What do you think? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm kinda liking this rifle guys, and wanted to get some opinions from anyone who has one or has handled or fired one. I've been ...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By Hatrix
  • 1 Post By VBVAGUY
  • 1 Post By pgrass101
  • 1 Post By 5lima30ret
  • 2 Post By 10thmtn
  • 1 Post By buckeye .45
  • 3 Post By Sticks
  • 1 Post By WrongRecroom

Thread: Mossberg MVP Patrol Rifle - What do you think?

I'm kinda liking this rifle guys, and wanted to get some opinions from anyone who has one or has handled or fired one. I've been wanting to get a smaller scout type rifle and this one looks right up my alley. I was looking at a Ruger Gunsite but this can be had for considerably cheaper and would probably be more easily available.

It can accept standard AR-15 mags and comes in 5.56MM, 7.62MM NATO & 300 BLK, has the iron sights and can be ordered with or without scope (scoped version looks nice!).

http://http://www.mossberg.com/product/rifles-bolt-action-centerfire-mvp-series-mvp-patrol/27755

I handled one of these at a gun show a while back. It seemed like a well built gun, but the bolt was real lose and sloppy. Could have just been that weapon in particular though. It had a good feel to it. But honestly I myself would rather spend a little time looking for a Mini 14 if I were in the market for a more traditional style non AR rifle. But I have a soft spot for Ruger rifles.
    RichB70 likes this.
    Tactical Junior Senior Instructor Of Advanced Tactics
    The Gecko45 Tactical Academy of Tactical Tactics
    Master of the Tactical Back Flip
    Internet Gun Expert

I own one. So far no complaints.

I like the idea of it especially using the AR magazines. I have read that the 7.62x51 / .308 version should be out anytime and will use the M14 magazines. I think a lot of people are waiting for that version as a less expensive version of the Ruger GSR. God Bless
    WrongRecroom likes this.

Senior Moderator
    I would be interested in their .308 version when it is released
    dukalmighty likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    I like them, but I would also be OK with the Remington 7615 (pump .223) that uses AR mags! Good luck!
    WrongRecroom likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Senior Member Array CR Williams's Avatar
    For hunting? Sure.

For fighting? Out of date. Go semi-auto.
    "Oh, bother," said Pooh as he rocked another mag into the 556R...

www.inshadowinlight.com

http://inshadowinlight.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by CR Williams View Post
    For hunting? Sure.

For fighting? Out of date. Go semi-auto.
    Of course, but a good AR-15 would cost me more then twice as much not including scope, which I cannot do right now. This is better then nothing, and it can always double as a sniper or hunting rifle in it's .308 configuration.

I would go lever gun. Faster action than a bolt gun. Pump rifles are also very fast...maybe even faster than a lever action. But a bit harder to use prone.

And I agree, for the price of a semi auto, you can equip your entire family with pump, lever or bolt rifles.
    Eric357 and Tennessee Jed like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

One has been on my list since they came out, I think that they are a bit more of a novelty gun than anything, but I like the idea. I think I like the idea even more in .300 blackout or .308 (assuming it takes the .308 P-mag.
    Eric357 likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Cool

I certainly understand the argument regarding Semi Auto AR versus the Patrol in 7.62. However, there are many of us out here that do use our weapons for more than just plinking or target practice, and having a rugged platform that is able to reach out and touch a target at longer distances is a huge advantage. Not to mention the negative reactions we receive from others when carrying an AR. I personally shoot a Remington 700 SPS full Bull tactical with scope. But without the bottom metal to receive a 5 or 10 round Mag, it is cumbersome on the range. Having a 10 round mag would greatly increase the effectiveness of my gun. Also note that local laws are always being considered that could have an effect on AR ownership. I don't want to deal with it. A bolt action will always be allowed. Do I own an AR, no. BUt I have to admit I certainly would like to have one in .308. Like the Smith and Wesson AR. BUt $ is a factor too, and it will have to wait. I have the 700, and it is pretty good for me up to 500 Yrds. This Patrol rifle fits my needs and wants pretty well. As long as it can shoot 3 shots within 1/2 MOA at a couple hundred yards, it works for me. Mossberg has always been a favorite for me too.

Quote Originally Posted by dragginbutt View Post
    ... A bolt action will always be allowed. ..
    If the Antis' get their way, no it won't. It's still a firearm. Look at the UK and you will understand. Eventually they will get them all.
    ExGM, WrongRecroom and Eric357 like this.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Heck I vote for a PAR-1 rifle .. .par1kk9.jpg

As weird as it sounds like the Enfield rifles hold 10 rounds and if you google the mad min you will see why I like them .... Plus 303 is a man stopper to say the lest..

But back to your question OP .. I dont have one but I do want to as it can take AR mags .. A 308 version be great for

and the revrw are good Gun Review: Mossberg MVP Predator | The Truth About Guns
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    If the Antis' get their way, no it won't. It's still a firearm. Look at the UK and you will understand. Eventually they will get them all.
    A better example is Japan they baned the last of the rifle back in the 70s ...

In both the UK and Aussia land you can own bolt action guns about the only thing you can own for rifles in fact ... But your right they will get them all in the end and for the ammot of work it takes to get one in the UK it is very close to a full ban.. At least you can own a AUG with 42 round mags ( assuming it is bolt or levler action ) and yes they do make bolt action AR/AK/AUGS for this reason...

But bolt guns I think will be the second to last guns banned the last being 1-2 shot shotguns ...

I should edit and add for England you can own a semi auto rimfire gun even one that is "tactical" guns in the UK even with 25-30 round mags . UK is weird that way you can own any gun you want with any fetruters (including silencer) and 30 + mags but you can not own a semi auto unless rimfire .. So there are guys in the UK who own 9mm AR rifles with cans on them but the guns are made to be lever action only ( dont ask ) or they own a AK or AR but has no gas system and is a straight bolt ditto the AUGS etc .. But rimfire is fine so AK and AR 22 guns are very big ...

Of course for the heavy stuff I hear you better have a dern good reason to buy it and from watching vids on Youtube the guns and ammo over there are very costly ...

Aussia land is the oppioste they have banned all semi autos and pumps (even rimfire ) yet handguns are still legal ( if near impossible to get) but in the Uk you can not legal own most handguns ( they are a handfull of out of production rounds ones , smokesticks and weird rifle pistole things that are still legal)
    Last edited by WrongRecroom; February 8th, 2014 at 10:35 PM.
    Eric357 likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Links