Question about my shotgun

This is a discussion on Question about my shotgun within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So my dad gave me a used Maverick 88 that I'm going to dedicate as my home defense shotgun. I took it apart to give ...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 4 Post By Brad426
  • 2 Post By TX expat
  • 1 Post By luvmy40
  • 2 Post By DJC7
  • 1 Post By wysh
  • 1 Post By archer51

Thread: Question about my shotgun

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar

So my dad gave me a used Maverick 88 that I'm going to dedicate as my home defense shotgun. I took it apart to give it a good cleaning (it really needed it). I also took the plug out so it can carry 6 rounds now :) When cleaning it I came across this part that i wasn't sure about.

I took it off and realized it was holding this piece on internally.

I put it back together the way it was because I have no clue what that piece is. I hate how it sticks out the side of the gun. Its just a screw holding it on. Anyone know what it is?

Sent from my DROID RAZR now Free
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

2. Remove Ads

I can't help, but I will say that "extra parts" after reassembling a weapon never seems like a good thing to me.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    I believe that piece keeps the bolt aligned when the action moves. I also believe that should be a small flat screw, not that big ginormus thing you have, holding it in. I bet you can get a replacement screw assuming that someone didn't drill it out for that thing to fit on there.
    squid86 and Ghost1958 like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Sponsor
    Have you looked for a parts diagram for the gun? I'm sure there's one available online somewhere.
    squid86 likes this.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Here you go!

http://www.mossberg.com/manuals/Maverick_88_91.pdf

Look on page 23. Appears to be the ejector. Looks like you should have a screw laying around somewhere too. lol
    squid86 and archer51 like this.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

Youtube it
    squid86 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DJC7 View Post
    Here you go!

http://www.mossberg.com/manuals/Maverick_88_91.pdf

Look on page 23. Appears to be the ejector. Looks like you should have a screw laying around somewhere too. lol
    Agree, it appears to be the ejector.
    squid86 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    ok thank you guys. yes it definitely is the ejector according to the diagram. most definitely not the stock screw for it, lol. there is a screw that fits but it is longer than that and comes out the other side, so this piece sticking out other side is just the nut for it. i had just never seen it before and this is my first mossberg (im a remington guy). wasnt sure if this was normal but apparently it isnt, just a ghetto rig, lol.

looks like i will search around for a new ejector screw. thanks again for all of the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    I can't help, but I will say that "extra parts" after reassembling a weapon never seems like a good thing to me.
    nope, wasnt an extra part, just trying to figure out what they piece was doing sticking out. i just thought it was really odd. didnt see it on anyone elses.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Yup.... you have an aftermarket screw.... it should be flush mounted.... I bet you can call mossberg to get the right one or you might get lucky at the hardware store.... Please put your ejector back in ;)
    Last edited by daffyduc; December 7th, 2013 at 12:59 AM.
    "Ours is the only country deliberately founded on a good idea." ~John Gunther

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    The Maverick, like the Mossberg 500, 590, has two extractors, that looks like the extractor that's supposed to be screwed to the side of the receiver.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Links