Shooting a rifle underwater

This is a discussion on Shooting a rifle underwater within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I guess what I don't understand, is if gun powder needs oxygen to burn, how does it ignite?...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By technomonster

Thread: Shooting a rifle underwater

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

I guess what I don't understand, is if gun powder needs oxygen to burn, how does it ignite?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

This is all guess work understand. But Im guessing that there is enough oxygen trapped inside the casing for it ignite and burn. For a short period of time maybe??

Ammo isnt air tight or water proof obviously but the ammo isnt being submerged for a long period of time in that video from the looks of it.

And I could be totally off in left field too
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    I guess what I don't understand, is if gun powder needs oxygen to burn, how does it ignite?

there is some oxygen in the case but even if there wasn't gun powder will still burn just the same, even if a round is loaded in vacuum.

Nitrocellulose (smokeless) powder contains it's own oxygen and so does block powder. the oxygen is bonded to other chemicals in solid form just like a solid fuel rocket.

in a nut shell:

black power is charcoal, saltpeter (usually potassium nitrate KNO3, the O is oxygen and there is three present in each nitro molecule) and sulfur.

the charcoal is the fuel, the oxygen is in the nitrate and the sulfur serves as a bonding agent.

Nitrocellulose powder does not need sulfur because the fuel and oxidizer is bonded. the left over sulfur in black power burn attracts water and becomes sulfuric acid which can corrode the bore.

it's a bit more complicated then that and there are different formulas but you get the idea.

nitroglycerin, more correctly known as glyceryl trinitrateis the same way, the glycerin is the fuel and the nitrite has the oxygen. mixing it with "clay" stabilizes it and is called dynamite. Alfred Nobel discovered the process, he was upset that his invention was used for war and therefore created the Nobel peace prize.

Trinitrotoluene or TNT also uses nitrate to provide oxygen. despite that AC/DC had told us, TNT is not the same as dynamite.

so pretty much all explosives use nitrate to provide oxygen, RDX or cyclotrimethylene trinitramine, active ingredient of C4 is no different.

nitroglycerin was later discovered to relaxes blood vessels is used to treat chest pain, Nobel was shocked that his doctor wanted him to ingest explosives
    Last edited by technomonster; December 9th, 2013 at 07:19 PM.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

it self oxidizes
    “But now,” he said, “take your money and a traveler’s bag. And if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one!” Luke 22:36 (NLT)

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by technomonster View Post
    there is some oxygen in the case but even if there wasn't gun powder will still burn just the same, even if a round is loaded in vacuum.

Nitrocellulose (smokeless) powder contains it's own oxygen and so does block powder. the oxygen is bonded to other chemicals in solid form just like a solid fuel rocket.

in a nut shell:

black power is charcoal, saltpeter (usually potassium nitrate KNO3, the O is oxygen and there is three present in each nitro molecule) and sulfur.

the charcoal is the fuel, the oxygen is in the nitrate and the sulfur serves as a bonding agent.

Nitrocellulose powder does not need sulfur because the fuel and oxidizer is bonded. the left over sulfur in black power burn attracts water and becomes sulfuric acid which can corrode the bore.

it's a bit more complicated then that and there are different formulas but you get the idea.

nitroglycerin, more correctly known as glyceryl trinitrateis the same way, the glycerin is the fuel and the nitrite has the oxygen. mixing it with "clay" stabilizes it and is called dynamite. Alfred Nobel discovered the process, he was upset that his invention was used for war and therefore created the Nobel peace prize.

Trinitrotoluene or TNT also uses nitrate to provide oxygen. despite that AC/DC had told US, TNT is not the same as dynamite.

so pretty much all explosives use nitrate to provide oxygen, RDX or cyclotrimethylene trinitramine, active ingredient of C4 is not different.

nitroglycerin was later discovered to relaxes blood vessels is used to treat chest pain, Nobel was shocked that his doctor wanted him to ingest explosives
    I knew that.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links