CETME 308 .. Need your input

This is a discussion on CETME 308 .. Need your input within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am looking for a couple of "go to guns", fertilizer in the fan kinda thing. I have owned AKs, ARs etc.. but want a ...

Thread: CETME 308 .. Need your input

CETME 308 .. Need your input

I am looking for a couple of "go to guns", fertilizer in the fan kinda thing. I have owned AKs, ARs etc.. but want a .308 "black rifle", that won't "break the bank".
    My LGS has a CETME .308 I have been eyeing. I like the overall design but have no experience with the quality. I would appreciate any first hand info you can give.
    And if not the CETME then other "reasonable priced" options.
    Thanks,

A LTTLE TRAINING IS A DANGEROUS THING ....

2. Remove Ads

JT
    I’ve never owned one, but I've heard mixed reviews on the CETME. Not surprising since many were assembled by Century. “A bunch of monkeys with hammers” was a common description of Century’s assembly process. Although I hear it has gotten better in the last few years. They have improved a lot on their AKs.

Basically, if you got a good one, it was a great buy for the money. If you didn’t get a good one, a little tinkering usually (but not always) could make it alright.

You may want to go through the old posts in the Main Battle Rifle Section of AssualtWeb. Back when CETME's were plentiful there were a lot of posts about the good and the bad you could encounter.

http://www.assaultweb.net/cgi-bin/ul...ubb=forum;f=16
    Last edited by JT; December 12th, 2006 at 07:05 PM.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

JT
    Another budget priced option would be the Saiga 308.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Senior Moderator
    The Cetme is a good reliable rifle on the whole. Century arms is the only ones I have handled with frequnacy. Several of my friends have these and they work fine, One did need to be re-head spaced. Mags are cheap and aftermarket parts are plentiful.

That being said I passed up purchasing a Cetme and went for a FN-FAL also from Century. The Cetme charging (like the G-3) handle is located forward on the barrel making it hard to reach, and the sights on a Cetme are horrible IMO.

The FN-FAL has the same advantages as the Cetme plus it is easier to mount a scope on. I got my scope mount from DSA (http://www.dsarms.com/ ) I spent about $350 4 years ago on mine. 4 years and it is great I did have some teething problems with it but after about 200rds everything smoothed out.

Hope this helps

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Would strongly reccommend that you take a serious look at the FN line before decideing on a .308. My FN will shoot right with my $2300. HK91.(although it's not as black) -------

You should be able to find a Century FAL/ L1A1 for around +/-$450.

Be sure to get one that takes metric mags and has the proper dual feed ramp on the reciever.

My CETME works great. For the money it can't be beat. It has very little recoil, accurate and fun to shoot. The Century Flash hider sure makes a big BOOM but I like it!
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I apppreciate the feedback guys.
    A LTTLE TRAINING IS A DANGEROUS THING ....

I looked at every .308 / 7.62X51 NATO battle rifle imaginable.
    I settled on two. And then bought them.
    Indian Ishapore Model 2A1 Enfield bolt action, 12 rounds in the mag.
    Springfield Armory Model M1A Scout Squad semiauto, 20 rounds in the mag.
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

CETME

I've never seen one that would make it through 2 magazines of good ammo without quitting. Sent one back for repair, that "repair" took a long time and the gun still didn't work.

You asked, that's my experience and I'm happy for the folks who must have been able to get a good one that works.

Don't do a Century. JLD PTR-91 was available from SARCO for $600. Felt/shot as good as my HK 91, at about 1/3 the price. All the same parts & accsys. Good buy.

The valley of the sun scorched earth(Phx,Az)
    My shooting partner bought a CETME w/plastic furniture. He had a lot of problems with the bolt jamming. He swiched out the plastic furniture for the original wood furniture and has had NO problems since. Oh yea, the plastic stock cracked around the 60th round we put thru it.
    NRA Life Member USCCA Member

Freedoms Precious Metals:Gold, Silver and Lead

"You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass."~~ Tpr. M. Padgett

Kimber Tactical Pro II w/EE over 2000 rnds NO MALFUNCTIONS

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    I have one of the EARLY Century Cetmes ,built from a very good
    parts kit.

It has some fit and finish issues (at least 1 monkey worked on it )
    But it is 100% reliable

If you buy one - insist on a test fire and use REAL mil-surp 7.62 ammo.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Hello everyone, first post here.

I researched for several months when I was deciding on a .308/7.62 MBR. The main contenders were the JDL rifle, or a DSA STG58 - I opted for the FAL. The dealbreakers for me were the FAL's adjustable gas system and the fact that the receiver was milled instead of stamped. The gas system allows you to tailor the rifle to the ammo being used to achieve reliability and still keep the bolt carrier from impacting the back of the receiver area each time it cycles - translates into 'cushier' recoil as well as less stress on the major parts. Also, if you are not able to clean the rifle regularly due to 'extinuating circumstances', the gas port can be dialed open a notch or two to keep it running until you can. The milled receiver deal is just personal preference - I just felt more comfortable having some 'real' steel around the chamber. Those, and, when it came down to it, the FAL was more 'comfortable' to me. I like the placement of the op-rod and mag-catch better, as well as how it just plain handles.

Now, I don't think there is anything in particular 'wrong' with the HK design that can't be overcome/gotten used to by familiarizing yourself and training with it. It was DESIGNED to have a stamped receiver, and there are millions of AKs that prove stamped will work for years. Both are 'time-tested and battle-proven' designs, and either one would make a good choice, providing, and this is the important part, you purchase a well-made one.
    Last edited by Muzz; December 14th, 2006 at 12:43 AM. Reason: wording

Links