Newby "assault " rifle question.

This is a discussion on Newby "assault " rifle question. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok I have my hunting shotguns , and 22 rifles , and my hand guns, But I am wanting an " assault" rifle and I ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree178Likes

Thread: Newby "assault " rifle question.

Newby "assault " rifle question.

Ok I have my hunting shotguns , and 22 rifles , and my hand guns, But I am wanting an " assault" rifle and I know nothing about them. It will be mostly for use when the shtf . So what do I need?
    tony1990 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Well, you need to stop calling them "Assault Rifles", for starters. That is a made up term for use in the Clinton AWB, and designed to get everyone to want to ban a rifle that didnt exist.

There are two main platforms: AR 15s (think US Army Civilian models, in semi automatic mode only), and AKs. The AK is a commie bloc platform, and there are two main kinds AK 47s, and AK 74s.

I like the AR 15 platform chambered in 5.56. NOT in .223. With a rifle chambered in 5.56, you can also shoot .223 caliber, but you cannot safely shoot 5.56 out of a .223.

Walmart actually has good selections of Colt models in most stores, almost certainly in TX where you are, and they are good weapons, and decently priced.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Panchorelly View Post
    Ok I have my hunting shotguns , and 22 rifles , and my hand guns, But I am wanting an " assault" rifle and I know nothing about them. It will be mostly for use when the shtf . So what do I need?
    Well first you need to go and apply for your Class 3 license from the ATF. Then you need to find someone that is selling said rifle and have the $5,000-10,000 for the firearm.

Then you will have your very own assault rifle.
    stylus, OD*, pittypat21 and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    Well, you need to stop calling them "Assault Rifles", for starters. That is a made up term for use in the Clinton AWB, and designed to get everyone to want to ban a rifle that didnt exist.
    Not true, Clinton made up the term "assault weapon". An assault rifle is one that is capable of select fire.
    Yetiman and american23 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post

There are two main platforms: AR 15s (think US Army Civilian models, in semi automatic mode only), and AKs. The AK is a commie bloc platform, and there are two main kinds AK 47s, and AK 74s.

I like the AR 15 platform chambered in 5.56. NOT in .223. With a rifle chambered in 5.56, you can also shoot .223 caliber, but you cannot safely shoot 5.56 out of a .223.

Walmart actually has good selections of Colt models in most stores, almost certainly in TX where you are, and they are good weapons, and decently priced.
    That's "Exactly" what I was going to say.
    You can get a good Name Brand from Wally's for about $850. or from Buds for $672. for a good starter: Mossberg MMR QUAD 6 POS 223 16 BLK $672.00 SHIPS FREE
    StormRhydr likes this.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Ok the reason assault was In quotations is because I didn't know what else to call them ! So can we get past that now ? I don't want a 10k$ military weapon either ! Ak ar ? Nothing fancy just a good dependable weapon that. Ammo is readily available for. Thanks.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Folks we all know what he is asking!

He's looking for a semi automatic rifle that looks like an M4.

Brother Panchorelly.

Since you already decided what your need is then I would decide on your budget. A true fighting AR (COLT, BCM, DD) can b e had for around $1,200- maybe on a good day or from CDNN investments 1,000 dollar range don't forget transfer fees to your dealer and shipping. Thats with irons only. A good red dot, will run you $400-800 Eotechs, and Aimpoint Pro in the 450 range, I'm partially to the micros, with a good mount your looking at north of 700 dollar range.

A good all arounnd Rifle is the PSA (palmetto state armory) little cheaper than the above still good rifle.

For a budget rifle to get you into the game I would go with Smith or maybe even a Sig.

If money is not an option La Rue, Noveske, LWRC. However I would still lean back to the BCM or DD.
    Exacto likes this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

And what is the proper name?

Defensive Rifle.

If money is an option and you just want to get into the game, and your not planning on running the gun hard. You can always go the lower end into the bushmasters, stags, or ROCKs. For most people those will do just fine.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Ok the reason assault was In quotations is because I didn't know what else to call them ! So can we get past that now ? I don't want a 10k$ military weapon either ! Ak ar ? Nothing fancy just a good dependable weapon that. Ammo is readily available for. Thanks.
    It is just a "semi-automatic rifle", nothing more, nothing less.

I am fond of the AR plateform, you can pick them up this Christmas season for less than $600. Get a 5.56, not a .223. It allows you to fire both 5.56 and .223, if you get the .223 you should not fire 5.56 out of it.
    ccw9mm and Aceoky like this.

And what is the proper name?
    FOR Forum sake!

AR
    Semi-Auto
    Modern Sporting Rifle
    EBR
    Technically Clinton Called them Assault Weapons!
    Americas Gun (JK)
    Defensive Rifle

Hitler coined the Assault Rifle term back in the 40's referring to rifles with automatic capability, Clinton coined the Assault Weapon term.

VIP Member
    Spend some time reading about the two platforms mentioned. There are plenty of good semi automatic rifles out there to choose from. You could add the Mini 14 to you list of choices worth investigating. They aren't 300 yard rifles but they will definitely do social work and they are pretty rock solid.

Probably the very best way to get started is to come up with a price range that works for you. Think total cost. Do you want iron sights or are you planning on putting a scope or RDS on it? All that should probably be thought about and factored in to your cost. Once you have a solid idea of how much you want to spend on your rifle, you'll be able to start eliminating options.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Panchorelly,

Whats your Budget?

So a colt ar15 in 5.56 from wal mart would be a good start?
    Linny and Aceoky like this.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links