Looking for a first AK Style Rifle, couple of questions

This is a discussion on Looking for a first AK Style Rifle, couple of questions within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; 47;s v/s 74's. What is good, reliable, and not going to break the bank?...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By WrongRecroom
  • 1 Post By palmcoaster
  • 1 Post By 1 old 0311
  • 1 Post By patri0t
  • 1 Post By WrongRecroom

Thread: Looking for a first AK Style Rifle, couple of questions

New Member Array Akapennypincher's Avatar

47;s v/s 74's. What is good, reliable, and not going to break the bank?
    Last edited by Akapennypincher; December 11th, 2013 at 08:18 AM.

I like ak so ask what you will but first I should ask you the following question :
    1. What state do you live in ?
    2. Do you have or shoot any ak or sks ? Have you fired ar?
    3. What is purpose of this shtf/fun/truck gun?

These are important . If you are in CA your choice are less due to state laws .

If you like AR look at gen 2 (only gen 2) sig 556r it is a 556 that takes ak mags ( unlike other ak ar that need mods) but will not take drums .

If you are looking for shtf etc gun get a wsar 10/63 just make sure the bolt is smoth and sights/gas block has no cant. These guns are hardy and have all you want in a AK ( bayo lug, thread barrel, will take most any stock etc). look here The AK Buyer's Guide - A Beginner's Guide to the AK Platform (ask all new AK questions in here) - AR15.COM

For ammo think of 7.62 as a 30-30 and 5.45 as 223 .. 5.45 is smother and lighter and is a nasty round but unless you buy suprulse ( which is corrisve) the ammo is about the same for new ammo.. Mags for ak 47 are cheeper if you buy steel , tapco ( if you talke bakerlight they are more).

Ask what you want though I dont know how much info you have on 89 imported laws and the 922r stuff so I dont want to overload you with info.. There are other very good aks out there but for the money a wsar 10/63 is good bet and 99% of the time ready to go out the box. Mak 90 and Sar guns are a good bet I hear but will need barrels threaed , bayo lugs etc.

Pre 89 AK and kerbs guns are very nicly made and looking but are very costly . I think unlike other guns AK are about the same in function regardless of price . That said IO gun are pretty junkky and yes CAI guns can have lemons too . The key is read up and know what to look for and what you like in a gun.
    Aceoky likes this.

You will find good info on here.

If you can afford one, look at a Sig 556. The best of both worlds, AR-15 style controls, and bolt and function of an AK-47 JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by pat701 View Post
    If you can afford one, look at a Sig 556. The best of both worlds, AR-15 style controls, and bolt and function of an AK-47 JMHO

556R not 556 the r means means russian .. And if you do get one make sure it is a newer gen 2 the gen 1 had a lot of problems also if it is a big deal the 556r will not take drum mags ( most any stick mag 5-40 seems to work some more then others ) but drums need work to fit .. SIG556R 556 is the 5.56 version

But 556 rifles are great guns but not all the stuff for ar/ak fit them ( ie stocks etc) .. But I am planning on one day haveing the whole set ..522,556 and 556r . The stock is great

Also I think PTR makes a g3 style gun that takes 7.62x39 as did h&k .. And if you have a legal full auto h&k trigger pack you can put it in said ptr rifle and have a full auto ak ....

But IF you want a plane jane chepo ak get either a wsar 10/63 or a m&m 10 ( sort of a nicer tac cool wsar) M10- AK47 Rifle 762x39

Or if you are good with tools get a saiga and make it into a AK . Many sites sell the parts you need to do it and this is the closest one can get to a true russian ak in the USA . Russian Saiga AK 47 Rifle IZ 132 SALE.

And of course if you do want a true ak they are a few FA pre 86 aks out there even a few belt feed ones but they are not cheep at all

Senior Member Array CR Williams's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Akapennypincher View Post
    47;s v/s 74's. What is good, reliable, and not going to break the bank?
    What's the budget look like for this? AKs are like ARs--higher cost, generally speaking, gets you higher quality.

SIG556R is a very good one to look at. If they still have them, One Source Tactical I believe is rolling them out for 997 and change. Others, depends on what you have and want to spend on them.
    "Oh, bother," said Pooh as he rocked another mag into the 556R...

www.inshadowinlight.com

http://inshadowinlight.wordpress.com

Senior Member Array CR Williams's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    But 556 rifles are great guns but not all the stuff for ar/ak fit them ( ie stocks etc) ..
    True. The rails are standard type, though, and will take lots of Good Things. And SIG includes short rails for the forend with the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    Also I think PTR makes a g3 style gun that takes 7.62x39 as did h&k ..
    I think that's the model 93, so either PTR-93 or HK93. Seems hard to find one, though.
    "Oh, bother," said Pooh as he rocked another mag into the 556R...

www.inshadowinlight.com

http://inshadowinlight.wordpress.com

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Cant go wrong with a good ol norinco Mak 90 or Nhm 91 AK. I have both and have never let me down when I go to fire them
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by palmcoaster View Post
    Cant go wrong with a good ol norinco Mak 90 or Nhm 91 AK. I have both and have never let me down when I go to fire them
    Agred the only problems is the issues of 922r work and adding a thread barrel/bayo lug or normal stock. But that said when I have the time I would like a mak to tinker with but not sure if I like not having a muzzle brake or normal stock .

Course a pre 89 euro/china ak would the cats meow but the cost is out there ( to me a safe queen level)

Honestly, as long as you physically inspect the rifle in person a Romanian WASR is cheap and reliable for a 47. If you want an inexpensive 74 that will work and is backed by a company in good repute, I would recommend a Waffen Werks from Classicfirearms.com...chrome-lined barrel and well assembled. Could you do better than either of those? Certainly. If you'd like to drop $1,200 on an amazing AK then go ahead and hit up Atlanticfirearms.com and get an Arsenal rifle. I have one of their AK74s and it is AMAZING. The former two options will be more in the $550-$650 range, respectively. Good luck in your hunt for a rifle!

Ex Member
    In the past 25 years I have owned 18-20 different AK's. Stick with the AK47, ammo easier to find and cheaper. I have owned Arsenals ( the most expensive) to WASR's ( the cheapest) and just about everything in between. The ONLY one that was total junk, never got a full mag through it without some kind of issue was the Arsenal. EVERY other one preformed 100%. Use only old steel European mags, there are millions out there and they re pretty reasonable. Best gun for the money? Underfolder Yugo M70AB2. They are about mid priced these days. I no longer have these but here is what they look like: 1, 4, and 5 are Yugo M70AB2's. 2 is a Vector, good but overpriced. 3 is a WASR that I refinished the stock on.

Aceoky likes this.

1 old 0311, those are some beautiful pieces, there. Great 'Bug-Out' &/or 'Get-Home' Guns. But Noisy!

I never varied from the 5.56/.223, but I did get this PLR-16 for a Truck-Gun (its a hoot at the range, too):

PLR 03.jpg

Shown with a 40 round Pmag in it.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Quote Originally Posted by patri0t View Post
    1 old 0311, those are some beautiful pieces, there. Great 'Bug-Out' &/or 'Get-Home' Guns. But Noisy!

I never varied from the 5.56/.223, but I did get this PLR-16 for a Truck-Gun (its a hoot at the range, too):

PLR 03.jpg

Shown with a 40 round Pmag in it.
    if you want some real fireballs try this wm_md_4619679.jpg see from my reading ( could be wrong of course) 7.62x39 does not really care about barrel length in terms of velocity but 223 does.
    That said thouse plr guns are neat , thinking I may pick up one some time . But something about 75 rounds of 7.62x39 steel core well that should make anyone duck
    Aceoky likes this.

Links