Here's another one of my recent projects - AR-15 build...

This is a discussion on Here's another one of my recent projects - AR-15 build... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I think you've seen part of this before. As I recall, I showed it with a Troy Industries handguard on it. I could not get ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Tangle
  • 1 Post By NH_Esau
  • 1 Post By Tangle
  • 1 Post By QKShooter

Thread: Here's another one of my recent projects - AR-15 build...

Senior Moderator

I think you've seen part of this before. As I recall, I showed it with a Troy Industries handguard on it. I could not get the VTAC Alpha handguard true to the bore; it was 'leaning' to the left. I mentioned that to a buddy of mine and he said his did the same thing.

I called Troy; had to leave a message, and they never returned my call - that I'm aware of. Anyway, I found the handguard shown here at Midwest Industries. I LIKE THIS ONE! I think it mounts a lot better and stronger. It's very light with all the slots cut in it, and is even smaller in OD that the TI VTAC Alpha.

Also, I've added a Bushnell Yardage Pro 4-12 laser ranging scope. It looks big on an AR but it's exactly the same length as a Nikon M223 4-12. It's about the same size at the ends, and of course a bit larger around in the middle of the scope.

It's a good scope as a scope. It has a nice Mildot reticle, and then of course there's the laser range finder right in the scope. I like that better than I thought I would. Since it arrived, I've been debating weather or not to keep it or return it. A mid priced scope and decent range finder would cost as much or more as the scope and to tell you the truth, I had all but given up on finding a lower power zoom scope with a mildot reticle. The ones that are out there cost more than the Yardage Pro.

This is not a Burris Eliminator; not only does the Eliminator range, it is programmable and will set a dot to hold dead on, based on your specific load and the range. It's all eyes through the scope. The drawback to the Eliminator is, you don't have anything more than a crosshair to range with - unless of course you brought your range finder, and then of course you'll have to have your yardage drop charts....

One shortcoming of the Yardage Pro - a serious one as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't do inclination. The Eliminator III does but it costs about 2-1/2 times as much and it's bigger. If your target is not on the level with you, i.e. you're on a hillside and the game is down in the valley, etc., the scope will give you the correct yardage from you to the target, but that's not the yardage you want - you need to set your scope to the horizontal component of the yardage. Many handheld laser range finders measure angle and factor it into the yardage figure.

Oh well, I guess I can add that to my MRAD/MOA/Inches to Range and bullet drop calculator

Once you determine the range, Bushnell supplies 17 dials with the scope. 8 are in yards, 8 are in meters and they are labelled to match up with the more popular loads, so you select the proper knob from their ballistics chart. Once you have verified the knob matches your load, in the field, all you do is range and twist the knob to the range and you're dead on. From what I've read they are really close.

The 17th knob is one you can mark for a custom load the other knobs don't match up to.

It's curious that the reticle is a nice mildot, but the clicks are MOA. I read guys thinking that's a big deal but it really isn't. It's no harder to use than a mil-mil, in fact, I think it would be easier. After all, the mildots are for determining the range. Once you have the range, you need to set the scope with the knob. If you have the right knob, you just dial it in. If you don't you determine the MOA clicks to match the drop at the determined range. You would need a chart, just like you would if you had MRAD clicks. The difference is MOAs are close enough to quarters of an inch that it's a little easier to resolve. E.g. if you find the range is 250 yards and you know your bullet drops 7 inches at that range how many clicks do you need. Well a quarter of an inch at 100 is simply 2.5 times more at 250 yards. So there is two quarters plus a half a quarter at 250 yards. Well, two quarters is one half, and another half quarter is 1/8 so each click is a half plus another 1/8 or 5/8" per click. I know that sounds complicated, but give it a try with mrads - 0.36 inches at 100 yards and figure out what it would be at 250 yards. You do it the very same way.

So if I have to choose between a quarter inch per click as a base or 0.36 inches per click as a base, that's a no brainer, I'm going with the quarter inch. Of course if you use a chart, neither has an advantage over the other.

Of course when I get my range calculator done, it will do all that for me.

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out on the Yardage Pro scope. I have no problems with the size or weight as many conventional scopes of the same power weigh about the same as it and they are the same length or lengther (lenghter ???). Honestly, I think the thing looks great on the AR - it's kinda has a streamline look to it.

Although I can see through the scope pretty well as it is, I'm wondering if a half inch riser might be needed.

The rifle it's on is a 300 Blackout (Wilson Combat LW, 16 inch barrel), but I think the scope will wind up on a .223/5.56 AR with an 18 inch barrel to get a bit more velocity out of the round. IF I keep it.

I haven't had an opportunity to shoot with the scope; I have mixed feelings about that. If I'm going to return it, I probably shouldn't make it a 'used' scope. OTOH, if I don't shoot with it, how can I know for sure how it performs. Then again, it is Christmas, maybe this will be a Christmas present.
    CIBMike and Aceoky like this.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    Then again, it is Christmas, maybe this will be a Christmas present.
    Aw, that's sweet. I'll PM you my FFL's info for the transfer.
    CIBMike likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    Aw, that's sweet. I'll PM you my FFL's info for the transfer.
    I'm making my list and checkin' it twice, I'm gonna see who's naughty and nice....
    Aceoky likes this.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Administrator
    Keeping Busy Tangle?

Midwest Industries.
    I have one of their GALIL Picatinny units. I was surprised at the very decent quality for the price.

Nice lightweight 6061 Aluminum with a good tough temper.

I think it's every bit as functional as the overpriced FAB DEFENSE/GALIL which retails for right around $450.00 for the GALIL rifles.

I thought that I would check out a Midwest since I was not about to fork over $450.00 for any doggone optics mount and I was not disappointed w/ the Midwest.
    Aceoky likes this.

Tangle, nice looking build, there. Scope looks good and how to beat a ranger? I really like the looks & function of the free-float as it shows off the SS bbl.

I have an inexpensive Bushnell 3x9 w 2 horizontal reticles, that has proven to put me on target with my 'constant' load. Not a mil-dot for sure.
    On one of my ARs I went with the 20 hbar and it may have to live w/o glass as the BUIS are good at 6 in group at 200 yards, but the glass on my carbine is better at distance.
    Didn't plan it that way, bass ackwards, but seems I'll have to make the switch, sometime.
    Your scope is putting ideas in my head.
    Also, I have had excellent results from Midwest Industries over the years.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Links