Optic for Newest AR

Optic for Newest AR

This is a discussion on Optic for Newest AR within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've got a feeling that there will be a Daniel Defense M4V5 waiting for me under the Christmas Tree this year. This one is the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Optic for Newest AR

Optic for Newest AR

I've got a feeling that there will be a Daniel Defense M4V5 waiting for me under the Christmas Tree this year. This one is the model with the mid-length gas system, 12" rail, and no sights.

I've already got an Aimpoint PRO on my other AR, and I really like it, but I'd like something with magnification on the DD. I have been looking at the Leupold Mark AR line, but I was wondering if there were any similar offerings out there.

I don't see myself ever shooting past 300 yds with this thing on the range or helping my farming cousins with pest control.
    Last edited by tubadude; December 13th, 2013 at 08:14 AM.

I have a Mark AR 1.5-4x. After comparing it side by side with the Burris MTAC and comparable Vortex, it was the clear winner to me. It is significantly smaller and lighter than the other two, and has good glass.

I would recommend the SPR reticle, which costs a little bit more, but adds an illuminated dot feature, which is good for close in use.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Helps if we have some idea what you will use this new rifle for. A 1-6 would be a premium shorter range scope up to a 2.5-10 for accurate 300 yard shots but still work at close range. Nikon's site has one of there 2.5-10s for 189 after rebate that's great scope for longer range. I have used that power range on a 308 for 35 years and been great for heart shoots at 300 yards. Many "ar" branded scopes in general will scalp you on price if given a chance. Shooting to only 300 yards if you use a 150 to 200 yards zero really need nothing to hit small targets but a basic recticle but this Nikon has a bdc in it.

I have a few older scopes to try on a new build and one I will try is a good 2-8 handgun scope set up as a scout scope on mine. They work very well on hunting rifles , no reason they would not work on a AR.

AR is not a deer rifle. Of course it will drop a large Deer if need be.
    If the bank account can swing it for a scope The ACOG. You already have an out standing sight on one. Back it up with a outstanding scope.
    The ACOG was built for the AR. It is a scope but still allows for fast short range target acquisition, meets all your mid-range needs and if you fell the need to reach out it can do that also.
    My son is a master gunner he will hit 600 meters with his AR's and an ACOG. Granted he knows how to use the equipment. But as he puts it with the equipment , instruction and range time almost anyone can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    If the bank account can swing it for a scope The ACOG. You already have an out standing sight on one. Back it up with a outstanding scope.
    The ACOG was built for the AR. It is a scope but still allows for fast short range target acquisition, meets all your mid-range needs and if you fell the need to reach out it can do that also.
    My son is a master gunner he will hit 600 meters with his AR's and an ACOG. Granted he knows how to use the equipment. But as he puts it with the equipment , instruction and range time almost anyone can do it.
    After carrying an M-16A4 with an ACOG on two deployments as a grunt, I actually wish that I had had a 1-4x instead. I think that the ACOG is a great optic, and 4x is certainly enough magnification for 300 yards (I would feel okay with it out to about 600 for point targets based on my experience), but it is a bit limited by its fixed magnification IMO. Having the ability to go down in magnification for close in indoors work, or choose higher magnification for longer distance engagements would have been nice. The fixed magnification is a compromise solution for the optic, and is a touch slower for short range engagements, even using the Bindon Aiming concept. This is why you are starting to see grunts add a micro red dot onto the ACOG. I think that there are many options that cost far less than the ACOG that can do the job just as well, or better. The main advantages of the ACOG are that it is short, and that it doesn't need batteries since it runs off a fiber optic/tritium set up. The downsides (in my experience), are cost, and the limitations of the fixed magnification. You also have to learn how to use the reticle, but that is just training.
    sammage, SIXTO, QKShooter and 2 others like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    After carrying an M-16A4 with an ACOG on two deployments as a grunt, I actually wish that I had had a 1-4x instead.
    A low power 1-X variable such as a Leupold VX-R Patrol, Trijicon TR24, or such would be a great for for that carbine.

My Leupold is 1.25 power on the low end, still nearly as quick as my other AR with an Aimpoint.
    atctimmy likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    After carrying an M-16A4 with an ACOG on two deployments as a grunt, I actually wish that I had had a 1-4x instead. I think that the ACOG is a great optic, and 4x is certainly enough magnification for 300 yards (I would feel okay with it out to about 600 for point targets based on my experience), but it is a bit limited by its fixed magnification IMO. Having the ability to go down in magnification for close in indoors work, or choose higher magnification for longer distance engagements would have been nice. The fixed magnification is a compromise solution for the optic, and is a touch slower for short range engagements, even using the Bindon Aiming concept. This is why you are starting to see grunts add a micro red dot onto the ACOG. I think that there are many options that cost far less than the ACOG that can do the job just as well, or better. The main advantages of the ACOG are that it is short, and that it doesn't need batteries since it runs off a fiber optic/tritium set up. The downsides (in my experience), are cost, and the limitations of the fixed magnification. You also have to learn how to use the reticle, but that is just training.
    Adding on to what Buckeye said, The ACOG is ridiculously overpriced. You can get a GREAT Leupold scope and still have $800 left over. It's really a no brainer.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Thanks for the replies. It's looking like either the VX-R or Mark AR will end up on this rifle. In the mean time, I figure I'll make due with a pair of MBUS sights so I can shoot right away.
    atctimmy likes this.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    WHAT?

Can you explain this?
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    WHAT?

Can you explain this?
    A 5.56 62 or 77 gr will drop a deer in it's tracks . However I do understand that some think you need a custom load 300 WM for deer.

VIP Member
    WHAT?

Can you explain this?
    I believe it's a question of ethics. Since hunting in the US is for sport it is incumbent on hunters to kill game as quickly and as painlessly as possible. It's only in the last 5 years or so that better ammunition has been available making an AR a more viable choice. Perhaps we will have to reexamine our laws now that modern bullets are here. However, game laws change slowly.
    tubadude likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I've seen deer dropped with 55grain I dropped a deer at a 150 yards with a 60 grained out of a 10.5 inch barrel this year.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I believe it's a question of ethics. Since hunting in the US is for sport it is incumbent on hunters to kill game as quickly and as painlessly as possible. It's only in the last 5 years or so that better ammunition has been available making an AR a more viable choice. Perhaps we will have to reexamine our laws now that modern bullets are here. However, game laws change slowly.
    So are you saying bow hunting is unethical? I mean basically your shooting a deer only to let it run away and bleed to death.

VIP Member
    I've seen deer dropped with 55grain I dropped a deer at a 150 yards with a 60 grained out of a 10.5 inch barrel this year.
    Sure. I could kill deer all day with my 5.56 too. But you and I are on here because we are serious about shooting, marksmanship and self defense. We practice and know what we are doing.

Now picture all the Barny Fife idiots out there not like us.

I have the Leupold Mark AR mod1 1.5-4 power on my AR. It's a good scope and does pack in a lot of features for the price point but I have to admit to being luke warm on that SPR reticle and even less warm on the eye box for that scope which is frankly terrible. You really have to be "right in there" to avoid that black out effect which is starting to drive me a little nuts.

Previously I had a Bushnell Elite 4200 series 1.25-4 power on my gun and it was much more forgiving. It was a simpler scope with just a basic #4 German reticle and illuminated center dot but it worked great at both close and medium distances. I ended up selling it to fund the Leupold because the Leupold was lighter and had more features but I'm starting to regret it a bit.

Anyway, OP, you might want to just pop over to SWFA or one of the other optics sites and see what stirs your fancy. Pretty much all the major manufacturers are producing low power variable scopes right now for the AR platform and you seem to only be limited by your bank account....
    tubadude likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links