Chubby tactical

This is a discussion on Chubby tactical within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So forgive me if this is in the wrong spot, but I have an awesome rifle for SHTF (Tavor). I have been going round and ...

Like Tree14Likes
  • 2 Post By gasmitty
  • 2 Post By glocknjeep
  • 1 Post By glocknjeep
  • 1 Post By glocknjeep
  • 1 Post By gasmitty
  • 3 Post By jonconsiglio
  • 1 Post By Sticks
  • 1 Post By glocknjeep
  • 1 Post By photoman6
  • 1 Post By beni

Thread: Chubby tactical

Chubby tactical

So forgive me if this is in the wrong spot, but I have an awesome rifle for SHTF (Tavor). I have been going round and round about how to carry mags for it, should the S actually HTF.

Here's the thing...I'm a fat guy. Please don't lecture me on how I need to lose weight here, I know why I'm fat, it's not a surprise every morning when I look in the mirror and I hate being lectured.

This all being said a molle vest looks absolutely ridiculous and is cumbersome as can be. I am looking for something that I can quickly put on. Load bearing harness type rigs look like they would be equally cumbersome.

What do you guys keep in the closet loaded with your magazines that you can just clip on/get into in a hurry and are not ridiculously cumbersome to move around in?

I'm kind of leaning towards an off side drop leg 4 mag pouch or something purely on a riggers belt...thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

I have a "patrol bandoleer" by Eagle that holds 6 carbine mags and slings over one shoulder. There's also a waist strap that keeps it from flopping around.

See this thread for a related discussion, and a couple pics of my rig: Bandoleer Pouch for the Defensive Rifle
    Bad Bob and gatorbait51 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I follow MAC and that product/video doesn't ring a bell but that is perfect. They are $70 now not 65 but it's an all in 1 product. If I bought a belt and the associated pouches I would be up around that price pretty quick. thanks gasmitty!
    gasmitty and gatorbait51 like this.

3-5 month lead time for MAC's bandolier! holy crap!
    gatorbait51 likes this.

ok so I like the price of that blue force gear bandolier...not too bulky loaded with 6 mags?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I didn't find mine bulky with 6... but if the bulk is bothersome, just fill one side and you'll have 3. Should be plenty to cover most immediate needs, assuming 28-30 rounds per mag. Still less cumbersome and confining than a chest rig.

My first carbine class, the ambient temp was 112F and the deck was 130F. We had Border Patrol guys, San Diego SWAT and local (Pinal Co. AZ) SWAT guys in the class, all doing the right thing by training with their duty gear. On TD1 it was clear I was "average earth being" in Patspeak, i.e., not .mil, not contractor, not LE. My bandoleer wasn't sneered at, but it was obviously regarded as nonprofessional, in a non-judgemental way. No problems with me.

TD2, the beastly temps continued, and by the end of the day, I was fielding a few questions about "where'd you get that?" and "who makes that?" Clearly, the perspiration coefficient made a difference... the chest rigs are more versatile and hold a lot more stuff, but all I needed was a means to carry 3+ carbine mags for the drills we ran, plus at least 2 pistol mags. I had pistol mag pouches on my belt, plus the bandoleer slung over the strong-side shoulder. No, I couldn't carry ballistic plates, but as a non-LEO civvy I was pretty well pfepared.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

SHTF as in someone gets stupid and tries to break in, or as in all out disorder and it's time to move, this minute. If it's the first, I throw a second mag in pocket, if I even grab one. Otherwise, I grab my handgun and spare mag, and then my rifle if I think I have time.

The plan for a bad situation where we need to go, which for us would most likely be a hurricane or other natural disaster, I have a couple different bags. A small maxpedition bag that has 3 spare rifle mags and 4 spare pistol mags along with a small fixed blade, Leatherman and flashlight, then a medium sized bag with another 8 mags for the rifle 6 for my handgun, I think. This bag also has other necessity items and would be right next to me in the car or I'd be carrying it.

It's not that I'm against plate and ammo carriers, it's just not how I plan it. If anything, I'd strip the carrier, run it slick and throw a shirt over it. I'd take a shorter rifle and I have a Sneaky Bag that is fast access but conceals it to the average person.

For me, one mag in the rifle and one on me should b sufficient as long as I have quick access to more if needed for whatever reason.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I have a man bra. Tactical Tailor MAV 4 pouch chest rig. Probably going get another one that has a zipper up the front center - that design has it's drawbacks, but is worlds easier to put on in a hurry.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Thanks guys...I think the blue force ten speed six pack is the way I am going to go. Plus I have bags similar to what Jon is speaking of.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

you should probably be able to make one from good canvas and a decent sewing machine
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Also might want to check out this mag bandoleer

AR-15/M16 GRAB & GO MAGAZINE POUCH | Brownells

I have it and it makes transporting mags to the range pretty easy. it does get pretty heavy if you have 8 fully loaded mags in the pouch. It also does not come with the waist strap that others have.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    I have a soft briefcase that I carry everyday. It has a bridle leather shoulder strap and it doesn't look Tommy Tactical. Toss out laptop/business stuff and insert up to twenty 30 round magazines. IMO in a real SHTF you are not going to want to look like a heavily armed survivalist looking for trouble (even if that's what you are). Odds are there will be a lot of people moving at once, and a low profile will probably be the best cammo, IMO. Whatever LE or military is left will be looking out for marauders, and that's not who you want to look like. I know that if I saw someone carrying an AR all decked out in web gear I'd be going the other way while keeping them covered.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Links