Deal or no deal?

This is a discussion on Deal or no deal? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I got a Bushmaster AR15 Carbon for 659 + tax at Academy. Came with 1 30 round magazine and red dot scope. Was this a ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By Kilowatt3
  • 3 Post By Chorizo
  • 1 Post By patri0t
  • 2 Post By Rock and Glock
  • 2 Post By Sticks

Thread: Deal or no deal?

Deal or no deal?

I got a Bushmaster AR15 Carbon for 659 + tax at Academy. Came with 1 30 round magazine and red dot scope.
    Was this a deal or no deal?

Tim

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    If you are going to be doing light plinking, range shooting, you did ok.
    Last edited by Chorizo; December 15th, 2013 at 09:49 PM.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

If it was me, I'da dropped another $100 and gotten an M&P Sport, but if you're happy with it, that's what counts.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

That's about what I paid for the same gun. I get flamed a lot for it being a BM but for light duty (a.k.a. not shooting thousands of rounds daily) it'll be fine. I've probably put about 1500 rounds thru mine so far without an issue. And I've sighted it in with the cheapo red dot at about 50 yards (my preference) and get consistent 2" groupings freehand and with these 58 y/o eyes. I try to stick with ammo with a little less "ummmph" because I've heard that the C15 has had some cracking issues. But I've shot a good bit of both 5.56 and .223 and everything has been fine.

Distinguished Member
    You are going to get a batch of people telling you that you should spend a thousand more and get a high-speed low-drag professional grade weapon plus buy a $800 optic for light range shooting. Ignore them. You got what you wanted for what you needed. Go shoot it and be happy.
    StripesDude, JDE101 and srings like this.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

If you paid for it then your happiness is all that matters.
    NRA Lifetime Member
    =“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” -George Orwell
    ="If you are more than 20 feet from your weapon while reading this thread you are doing it wrong." -Myself

price seems about right for a 'carbon'.
    You will probably want to go with a good set of iron sights and master those. That is where the fun/skill is at, for me. When you master those, go with a scope instead of the Red-Dots, the good red-dots aren't worth the price. I got a Colt Match-Target, Iron sights only and it is a hoot. I put an inexpensive 3x9 on the LE 6720 and chase coyotes all over creation.
    Stick with the lighter .223 ammo like AE, WWB, PMC, etc.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

I'd say you did fine. You bought it, right? That's the test.
    Chorizo and Aceoky like this.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

VIP Member
    $659 is a good price. Just make sure you check the staking on the gas key and castle nut.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Thanks for the replies. I know it's not a top end gun, my budget can't handle those. I think for the price I got what I
    wanted and needed. Will take your advice Patriot and get rid of the red dot. It just looks cheap. I like iron sights better
    anyway.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
    You are going to get a batch of people telling you that you should spend a thousand more and get a high-speed low-drag professional grade weapon plus buy a $800 optic for light range shooting. Ignore them. You got what you wanted for what you needed. Go shoot it and be happy.
    Generally the only time that happens is when people are looking at one and want advice. Oh, and it's spend another $500 for a "quality" rifle, and $400 on a quality RDS...for the rifle. The other $500 comes in as more mags, sling, ammo, better BUIS, light (if going to be designated as HD use), and other incidentals that no-one ever thinks about.

If they made the decision, then they have to shoot it. All we can do at that point, is point out what needs to be checked out, how to fix it if needed, and solve any issues that may arise down the road.
    Aceoky and JDE101 like this.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

You did good. Now go enjoy it !!! God Bless

If you wanted it and you'll enjoy it, then it's a deal. The cost doesn't matter much unless it's a perishable item.
    Make Peace or Die

It sounds like a decent price, although I am not familiar with the Carbon-15 models. Just for a point of reference M&P-15 Sports are going for about $675 AND PSA flat-tops are going for about $700. Good luck!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Does it really matter if it was a great buy are just fair . You own it so enjoy it. Local general store has the M&P sport for 635 and a bushy for 600 and psa flat top for 664. To many variables with some brands like psa and none have a red dot.

Links