Vepr, Arsenal, or Socom 16?

This is a discussion on Vepr, Arsenal, or Socom 16? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am looking to purchase my 1st rifle as my next firearm. I'm pretty squared away for handguns at this moment, although many more will ...

View Poll Results: Which Rifle?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vepr K 7.62x39mm

8 10.96%
  • Vepr K 5.56

1 1.37%
  • Arsenal 7.62x39mm

13 17.81%
  • Arsenal 5.56

0 0%
  • Springfield Armory M1A Socom 16

51 69.86%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vepr, Arsenal, or Socom 16?

Vepr, Arsenal, or Socom 16?

I am looking to purchase my 1st rifle as my next firearm. I'm pretty squared away for handguns at this moment, although many more will be in my future. I'm not a hunter or target shooter. My only interest is having a fun military style plinker I can take out and enjoy. Might be rotated in with my 870 for home defense. Would use my choice for any tactical carbine courses that I may take in the future. Might use if for a squad car rifle if I get accepted into the academy and the department allows it. I have found 3 rifles that I really like. I realli have no preference for one over the other and would love to own any of them. But I can't make up my mind and would like some recommendations. Oh and I don't want to hear any votes for ARs or FALs. Both good guns, but I prefer the ones listed below.

1. Vepr K in either 7.62x39mm or 5.56. A little less expensive than the Arsenal and alot cheaper than the Socom 16. IMO the best looking AK by far and overbuilt for the role, but are hard to come by. Accessories are harder to come by, but I would only plan to add an Ultimak rail, EoTech sight, Ace folding stock, and Surefire light. Would probably go with the 5.56 because its easier to find now a days, is less expensive, and I believe it will be more accurate.

2. Arsenal Ak in 5.56. I would get the stamped reciever to get a lighter, handier weapon and the 5.56 round would equal to less recoil and faster target reaquisition. A dealer I know can get them very easily. I handled an Arsenal AK in .223 and I loved it. Felt better built than any AR I have ever handled and I really don'y find it that much less ergonomic. Accessories are easier to find than the Vepr, but I would add the same things.

3. Springfield Armory M1A Socom 16. An awesome take on a legendary rifle. 308 round it more powerful and I could potentially use it for the ocassional hunt (which is rare). It is an expensive weapon at $1600ish and the increase in firepower isn't necessarily needed. Heavier than the Arsenal, Vepr might be close. But I can handle the weight and I don't plan on carrying it slung on my back for miles at a time. My only mod would be to add an EoTech sight.
    Yeah I like Glocks, wanna fight about it!

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    If you are going to plink with it, 7.62x39 and 5.56 would be much cheaper than.308. I personally prefer 7.62x39 to 5.56.

I love the SOCOM 16 setup, but the cost of the rifle and the ammo is much higher than the other options.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Lets see since we're spending your money and i have no ideal of the quality of the other rifles

I would go with the Springfield

Sounds like rational decision making. I love spending other peoples money. I just helped my Father in Law pick out his 1st gun, a Sig 229. He finally decided to get into guns. Maybe he wanted to be able to participate in his two Son in Laws' conversations. But most likely he got tired of being stuck with the women while we are out destroying paper.

And the Vepr K and Arsenal are both two of the best civilian AK-47 styled weapons available. I have handled both and they are solid as a tank and would be as accurate as the normal AR-15 Carbine. I like AKs better than ARs and have always wanted to own one.

JT
    VEPRs and Arsenal are both great, but if you don’t mind the weight, I would say get the VEPR as it has an edge on the Arsenal, in my opinion. If you can find one. The ROBARM VERPs are very nice, but are not being imported anymore, and ROBARM lost the contract. The new ones, when they come in will probably be as nice (depending on who does the conversion), but we will have to wait and see. IZHMASH (makers of the Saiga) now owns MOLOT (makers of the VEPR). Nothing wrong with Saigas, but they are not in the same class as VEPRS. Hopefully IZHMASH will keep the VEPR at the same original quality as their premium line of AKs.

As for the SOCOM, it’s hard to compare to the Arsenal and the VEPRS because you can get 2-3 AKs for the price of a SOCOM. If someone gave me my choice of a free gift, it would be the SOCOM, but if I was buying a rifle (especially my first), it would be one of the AKs, as they are a much better value for the money.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by '75scout View Post
    3. Springfield Armory M1A Socom 16. An awesome take on a legendary rifle. 308 round it more powerful and I could potentially use it for the ocassional hunt (which is rare). It is an expensive weapon at $1600ish and the increase in firepower isn't necessarily needed. Heavier than the Arsenal, Vepr might be close. But I can handle the weight and I don't plan on carrying it slung on my back for miles at a time. My only mod would be to add an EoTech sight.
    SA is still working out some things with the SOCOMs, or so I hear. Even an expensive AK will be more cost efficient in ammo, parts and accsys. The 16" gas SOCOM platforn also negates a good bit of the .308 advantage.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I'd get one each of the VEPR and Arsenal, one in 5.56, one in 7.62x39, and forget the SOCOM.

Psssssssssssssssttt............wait til the Sig 556 come out...........they're also getting a 308 version ready for retail sale as well........A SOCOM would be a nice addition too
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    Psssssssssssssssttt............wait til the Sig 556 come out...........they're also getting a 308 version ready for retail sale as well........A SOCOM would be a nice addition too
    Of course you aren't biased or anything are you?

A .308 version sounds good though.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

I don't like the looks of the 556, thanks though and I'm sure it will be a sweet rifle. Let me ask you guys this, which caliber is best for use in the AK platform. 7.62x39mm has a little more punch and is more than accurate enough for my purposes. But the ammo selection is limited. And currently it is equal to more expensive than .223/5.56. While the 5.56 is lighter in recoil, weight, and stopping power. But ammo selection is a whole lot better and might be more accurate.

I have a milled Arsenal 7.62x39. Totally pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by '75scout View Post
    I don't like the looks of the 556, thanks though and I'm sure it will be a sweet rifle. Let me ask you guys this, which caliber is best for use in the AK platform. 7.62x39mm has a little more punch and is more than accurate enough for my purposes. But the ammo selection is limited. And currently it is equal to more expensive than .223/5.56. While the 5.56 is lighter in recoil, weight, and stopping power. But ammo selection is a whole lot better and might be more accurate.
    You just need to be clear on your intended usages. For "storage", 1K of Wolf Mil Classic HP provides reasonable quality for the quality. If you step up and spend the $$ for soft-points or US-made (grade) you are correct, you aren't saving money. OTOH, are you getting a "Precision carbine" (ie a Firingline receiver with a Yugo M70 or cut-down RPK barrel with a Krebs rail to free-float as much as currently possible), or a "fun"/utility/SHTF carbine? For the former, bullet selection is a maker-breaker, for the latter, a mix of JHP/FMJ offers the real world knockdown and penetration (w/in 300 yds).

You can hunt with a box of WWB soft-points, in 7.62x39. I'm not aware of any state that will let you do more than varmit shoot with .223

Good point. I could use the 7.62x39mm Arsenal if I ever go on a deer hunt or go hog hunting again. But the .223 seems to have a much more versatil rounds. However, I'm not sure I would ever need that versatility. I would bet a Wolf FMJ and Wolf JHP would serve all my needs. So I guess I need to think about that a little more.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    I voted for the SOCOM 16, I have the SOCOM II and it's a great rifle...
    A bit pricey, but well worth the cost to me.....
    Good luck in your search...
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

VEPR may be coming back... FBMG has put out a few teasers on the subject...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links