What parts should I buy next? AR15 question

This is a discussion on What parts should I buy next? AR15 question within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've just purchased a couple of stripped lowers. Given the potential for loss of access to certain parts due to panic buying, what parts would ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By buckeye .45

Thread: What parts should I buy next? AR15 question

What parts should I buy next? AR15 question

I've just purchased a couple of stripped lowers. Given the potential for loss of access to certain parts due to panic buying, what parts would you suggest I start saving for next? I've seen suggestions for BCGs and barreled upper assemblies. What are your thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

I generally buy whatever I find a good deal on, and then buy multiple of whatever it is.

If you already have at least 1 functional rifle, I would actually suggest picking up an LPK or two. You could swap your upper to a new lower if need be, so by building one extra lower, you create a redundancy.

LPKs and BCG's are generally much cheaper than barreled uppers. Just buy what you can when you can. While the panic was going on, pretty much everything was hard to find.
    gasmitty likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Is this going to be a range gun or a work horse?
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Distinguished Member
    Concur with Buckeye. LPKs (you can always stand to have spares around) and BCGs. Get a couple of stripped uppers (Aero Precision has good deals on blems as they come available) and upper receiver finish kits (dust cover and forward assist) Those seemed to be the parts that were hard to come by during the last panic buying.

After that, you can finish out the weapon by buying parts as they come available and are at decent prices.

AR15 Stripped Upper Receiver (w/ Cosmetic Blemishes)
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

If you already have at least 1 functional rifle
    This will be my first AR. I have a 22 mag lever gun.

Is this going to be a range gun or a work horse?
    This will be a range/home defense/grabbers don't think I should own one so I am buying a couple/sell the extra during the next panic gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Smilinswordsman View Post
    This will be my first AR. I have a 22 mag lever gun.

This will be a range/home defense/grabbers don't think I should own one so I am buying a couple/sell the extra during the next panic gun.
    So, might be needed as a workhorse.
    I don't know about NEXT, but you should look into the BCM Gunfighter charging handles. They're not necessary but they are a benefit.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

I've just purchased a couple of stripped lowers. Given the potential for loss of access to certain parts due to panic buying, what parts would you suggest I start saving for next? I've seen suggestions for BCGs and barreled upper assemblies. What are your thoughts?
    You should get a 37mm Launcher mounted under the barrel. Dont' forget to get the parts necessary to make some rounds for it.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

John 3:16 Gettin' Old ain't for Sissies.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

What would I get well I would get a 22lr and 9mm conversion kit with above 10 round mags .Also I would have a bunch of completed lowers and buy uppers when they come around .

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Spend $100 and buy your LPK and buffer tube/spring/stock assemblies. Put the lower together.
    Now you have a complete lower, and you can just go to PSA, and buy a complete upper assembly for $400 and you have a complete rifle that is usable. Now you can upgrade piece at a time as you have the money, once you've added some mags and optics, but a set of irons are cheap. So are mags.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Links