Winchester 12ga question

This is a discussion on Winchester 12ga question within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My nephew just bought his first gun, a used Winchester Ranger 12ga automatic. I was looking it over last night. He had shot it and ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Stevew
  • 1 Post By ghost tracker
  • 2 Post By gasmitty

Thread: Winchester 12ga question

Winchester 12ga question

My nephew just bought his first gun, a used Winchester Ranger 12ga automatic. I was looking it over last night. He had shot it and said it shoots good. It looks to be all stock. We were only able to load 3 shells in it. 1 in the chamber and 2 in the tube. It looks like the tube should be long enough to hold 4 or 5. Is there a plug in the tube? How hard is it to remove?
    The barrel had some surface rust, but I don't think it was pitted. I wiped it down with Rem oil and it cleaned up alot, but there was still some rust present. What can he use to clean it? Would real fine steel wool and gun oil hurt the bluing?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Unscrew the magazine cap from the tube. The plug should be in there, remove it and replace the spring
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Yep most shotgun have a mag cap in them so they are leglal to hunt certian birds fed thing not state not sure on the rusting though is this a new gun ? I would call the maker if so a new gun should not have rust esp on the outside ..

Just don't shoot any migratory birds, including doves with the plug out.
    WrongRecroom and StormRhydr like this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    Just don't shoot any migratory birds, including doves with the plug out.
    i can't think of ANY fowl that is legal to shoot with more than 3 rounds in the gun. i know other states are different, but all hunting shotguns limit themselves to 3 rounds so the evidence points too that being the magic number.

i KNOW in colorado you will get fined for more than 3 rounds if you shoot:
    geese
    ducks
    pheasants(non-migratory bird i believe)
    quail(non-migratory i bl)
    turkey in our state is almost always on a ranch of somesort, not native here really, so not sure about those

Yep, there's a plug in there. Easy & legal to remove as long as you're clear on round restrictions as related to bird/game hunting. If the game warden inspects your shotgun in the field, he's gonna' want that plug IN THERE!
    Steel wool WILL thin the bluing depth. Try Balistol, leave it on the blued surface for a day or two. Then try a plastic scrub pad & use light pressure. IMHO, if there's no pitting, who cares if it's a bit "freckled"? Keep it well oiled and shoot the heck out if it!
    WrongRecroom likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

3-round limit varies by state, but is a Federal limit for any migratory waterfowl hunting.

As far as your 'freckling' goes, just a robust rubdown with cloth (like a dish towel) and oil will be as good as anything. Don't work any harder trying to get rid of the freckles; you risk doing more damage to the remaining bluing with more aggressive treatment. I'd be inclined to use something other than Rem Oil, maybe Break Free or even ol' 3-in-1. I never found Rem Oil to be particularly good at inhibiting rust, but that's just a personal observation - YMMV.
    WrongRecroom and bmcgilvray like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thanks for the replies! I'll pass on the info.

Links