New to ARs. Is this a fair price?

This is a discussion on New to ARs. Is this a fair price? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A new Bushmaster (90826) MOE A-TACS M4 type carbine in 5.56 for $1,150. Is this a good price? If not, what would a fair price ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: New to ARs. Is this a fair price?

A new Bushmaster (90826) MOE A-TACS M4 type carbine in 5.56 for $1,150. Is this a good price? If not, what would a fair price be for this AR? The msrp from their website is $1,391.48 Also any experience, good or bad, with the Bushmaster brand would be appreciated. Thanks.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    No it is not. In fact, it is a HORRIBLE price.

You can buy a Colt 6920 for under $1K these days if you shop around.

Bushmaster = buyer beware. At that price it is an outright ripoff.
    gasmitty, tmoore912, OD* and 12 others like this.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    I'd go with a Colt.

Colt can be had for less than that, and BCM/DD/other top brands can be had for a little more than that. I'd steer clear of Bushmaster.

There are a lot of better ones in that price range.

I agree with everyone else, you're better off getting yourself a Colt 6920.

If push comes to shove you can always find a colt at your local Wally world with Magpul furniture @$1000.
    It's Range Time!

You can get 2 bushmasters for 1100.
    If you're going to spend 1100, go to the top of the heap and get a BCM.
    You can build the equivalent of a Bushmaster from Palmetto for about 500ish if you hunt sales and such.
    There's nothing special about them. Quality is fair at best. Materials the same.

Flame away arfcom class of 2008 graduates!
    munch520, gatorbait51 and Dabster like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    No it is not. In fact, it is a HORRIBLE price.

You can buy a Colt 6920 for under $1K these days if you shop around.

Bushmaster = buyer beware. At that price it is an outright ripoff.
    What he said.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

NRA Life Member since 1972

Quote Originally Posted by MDof2 View Post
    You can build the equivalent of a Bushmaster from Palmetto for about 500ish if you hunt sales and such.
    There's nothing special about them. Quality is fair at best. Materials the same.

To be fair Bushy offers an entry level Ar they sold last few years 650-850 with a cheap scope on them. They also offer some better ones but with a higher price tag. From what I have seen when it comes to Bushy when you compare it to others in the same price range you always come up short with Bushmaster.
    Current market you can even get a darn good gas piston for that price if you shop right.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I received an email just in the last day or two with colt 6920 with magpul accessories for around $950. I would recommend taking a look at slickguns.com for current deals.

Quote Originally Posted by MDof2 View Post

That's just a little harsh.

PSA rifles are a fair chunk higher in quality than BM. PSA Customer Service, shipping and whatnot are found wanting, but not their product.

I'm sure that there are some PSA rifle problem stories out there (as well as Colt, BCM, DD, Noveske, Larue...) that were not created by the operator, I have not specifically looked, but no where near the number of BM problems.

To the OP - for that kind of $$$, it had better come with a full Magpul furniture set, Troy or better BUIS, Aimpoint RDS, 5 mags, auto BCG, and a gift certificate good for a 440 round can of M193 ammo.

As the others have said, Colt, BCM can be had for the same $$$.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

The Colt 6920 keeps coming up. Yes it is a standard to judge others by. maybe not as much now as at one time. I own a few ,gave my daughter one last year it was what she wanted.
    There are many others on the market just as good or maybe even better. Most of the 6920's you see priced on the low end 950-1100 are bear bone.
    Standard A2 front sight/gas block basic Colt front grip. Nothing wrong with that.
    Chances are you may want to change that front sight post and gas block ,not expensive but adds to cost.
    To change the front grips to anyone of many system that allow quick easy install of sights scopes lights ect is a bit more costly. Many good AR's come with systems installed that range from good to out standing.
    Then you get into the free float thing IMO not worth the cost to most but some now come with it . Generally they are on the higher end.
    When it come to AR's they are like owning a Harley.
    First why are you buying it, what do you expect it to do be honest
    Once it fills your needs what else would you like from it it did not break your budget
    Budget don't let an AR take money you do not have.
    Out of the box 6902 The carrying handle is removable

Coltm4.JPG
    StormRhydr and Caertaker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    ...First why are you buying it, what do you expect it to do be honest
    Once it fills your needs what else would you like from it it did not break your budget
    Budget don't let an AR take money you do not have.
    Out of the box 6902 The carrying handle is removable
    Other than a little hard to read, Smitty901 nailed it.

Why are you buying it?
    ~If it's for bragging rights or to shoot dirtclods a few times a year, a BM is a good choice (but not at that price)
    ~If it's going to be a HD/Work rifle to be shot at targets once a month or more, and you plan on being somewhat proficient with it, that $$$ will get you a better quality entry level rifle.
    ~If it's going to be your SHTF/Go to gun, you need to up your budget another $600 for the incidentals you don't yet know about, plus money for some professional training courses.

What do you expect from it?
    ~Minute of Man (7 MOA) for the life of the rifle, and usually goes bang when you pull the trigger, and like a Harley, needs maintenance after just about every range session, then BM is a good choice.
    ~2 MOA +/-, and goes bang every time you pull the trigger, maintenance parts every 5k rounds, you can do better for the $$$
    ~Sub 2MOA, goes bang every time you pull the trigger, and 20k rounds before the barrel starts to wear out, and 7k+ rounds between maintenance replacement parts, up your budget.
    WrongRecroom likes this.
    Sticks

A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I know it adds one more thing to look at to the list. Gas piston versions are at a point they are in the same price range in some cases.
    Like many at first I was not open to the idea. Then I bought one. I now have 4 that are gas piston and see no reason to go back to DI .
    Mine are based on the Adams Arms system and none have failed in any way yet.
    Yes I maybe hard to read to some but I was never paid to write. I was paid to know my weapons .
    I was was very good at my job.
    The usefulness of any AR can be greatly increased by leaning how to properly zero it and use the sights
    StormRhydr likes this.

Smitty901 - That was not intended as an insult, I'm not a grammar nazi, or a particularly articulate myself (thank the gods for spell check).

Piston guns have gotten better in the last few years, but the trade seems to be more weight for a cleaner chamber/action.

A member on another forum just had his Ruger piston rifle back for the third time and is now getting a full refund from Ruger. Accuracy was the first problem regardless of what flavor of factory ammo, supposedly came back as fixed. No change, sent back and got a new barrel, returned dinged up and old worn out BUIS, had cycle issues. Third trip got a wimpy refinish on the dings, and newish sights, still cycle issues. Less than 100 rounds by the owner. Just one of those problem childs that no matter what anybody did, it was a train wreck that just kept going.

I am sill in the camp of piston is a fix for a problem that does not exist in the modern made DI ARs.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links