New Tamer Shotgun

New Tamer Shotgun

This is a discussion on New Tamer Shotgun within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I picked up a H&R Tamer 20ga because I always thought they looked pretty cool! I think that it will fill a niche for a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: New Tamer Shotgun

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar

New Tamer Shotgun

I picked up a H&R Tamer 20ga because I always thought they looked pretty cool! I think that it will fill a niche for a truck/ATV long gun that can take a beating. It will also be handy for taking some coyotes (loaded w/#3 Buckshot) we have around the house. Didn't get to shoot it yet due to rain/ sleet. I will report back w/ a range report when the weather gets better!
    91B184EA.jpg
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    Nice...
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 19, 9mm.
    Bersa Thunder 9 UC Pro, 9mm. Gave To Daughter To Carry.
    Self Defense Stories
    Give me a minute before I post again.

I have an NEF single shot in 12 gauge - really like it. While not my first or even second choice for home defense, it will do. Added a butt cuff for five shells, and you can reload the gun PDQ with some practice. For the money, they are a great option.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

The pros to this gun seem straightforward - light weight and simple mechanism. This would go in the "survival shotgun" category. Maybe something you'd pack for a hike or camping trip. For most applications, a standard pump-action shotgun would make more sense, because having 5 to 8 rounds at the ready is a good thing.

So here the use-case is for situations where you don't need heavy firepower. Like a snake on the trail or an aggressive varmint of some sort. The YouTube videos on this one show that the max range is around 100 yards and best around 25 or so. In this category, the Springfield Armory M6 Scout is an interesting alternative - shoots .22 from the top barrel and .410 from the lower.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Being a lite weight 20 gauge, it will give a good thump on both ends.

20 gauge is very effective as a hunting and defense shotgun, top brake singles can be effective if you practice with it.

The plastic fore arm on a 410 Tamer I worked with tended to be very tight and bind, and this made the reload very slow.

The answer was sanding the plastic back just enough to allow freedom of movement.

Hope you enjoy your 20 gauge.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    The pros to this gun seem straightforward - light weight and simple mechanism. This would go in the "survival shotgun" category. Maybe something you'd pack for a hike or camping trip. For most applications, a standard pump-action shotgun would make more sense, because having 5 to 8 rounds at the ready is a good thing.

So here the use-case is for situations where you don't need heavy firepower. Like a snake on the trail or an aggressive varmint of some sort. The YouTube videos on this one show that the max range is around 100 yards and best around 25 or so. In this category, the Springfield Armory M6 Scout is an interesting alternative - shoots .22 from the top barrel and .410 from the lower.
    Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    Being a lite weight 20 gauge, it will give a good thump on both ends.

20 gauge is very effective as a hunting and defense shotgun, top brake singles can be effective if you practice with it.

The plastic fore arm on a 410 Tamer I worked with tended to be very tight and bind, and this made the reload very slow.

The answer was sanding the plastic back just enough to allow freedom of movement.

Hope you enjoy your 20 gauge.
    Immediately after getting it home I sanded a little on the plastic forend which relieved some of the tightness in opening. Yes I agree it will likely have fairly stout recoil due to being very lightweight! I have got (2) other 20ga that are better suited for more extensive shooting. This is just a knock around ATV/ truck gun that is very short and handy!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified

Single shots are pretty cool. I have one that I traded a friend a meal at Outback for, and I just brought it to the range the other day for the first time since Ive owned it. Definitely a good option if you need big power, but not high capacity. Just a cheap, all-purpose firearm that would be good for pest control or any other day-to-day use out in a more rural area, or somewhere that you dont frequent (maybe like a farm house, or cabin you have out in the woods somewhere).

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Looks like an Ideal truck gun for someone in a rural setting. Or an Ideal camp or cabin gun.

The 20 bore is hard to beat!
    5lima30ret likes this.

Looks like a nice camp or truck gun. Might even handle a few quail if need be.
    5lima30ret likes this.

Very nice looking forward to your range report. I don't have a tamer but I did pick up a 26" modified choked 20GA Pardner earlier this year. It was an absolute delight to carry all day in woods while deer hunting this year, it made a good showing of itself on a doe too I didn't have time to conduct a proper sight in with slugs, I just picked out a old dead tree and conducted a miss drill to get an idea of where it shot. My particular gun shoots Rem Sluggers pretty low, Win slugs shoot much better though.
    5lima30ret likes this.

Water Moccasins have lobbied to have those regulated for years. Well done!
    5lima30ret and kaikane0812 like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Wow! That's one pretty shotgun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GFRanger View Post
    Looks like a nice camp or truck gun. Might even handle a few quail if need be.
    A truck/ATV long gun is pretty much what it will be. Unfortunately we don't have many quail left around here due to Wiley E. Coyote. Hopefully the Tamer can help thin them out so that quail can make a comeback.

I almost forgot to add a word of caution here. Be very carefull as these very handy shotguns are very addictive, before you know it it will fast beome a favorite In mine the Winchester game loads seem to pattern better than the Remington version, however they don't fully eject. Certainly not a deal breaker just a minor inconvenience is all, I've noticed other useres had the same issue. The Remington ammo seems to have harder primers and I've experienced pierced primers with it, both game loads and slugs. I just need to find some buckshot and turkey loads now, I plan on trying to bag a turkey with it this spring. Years ago I used to have the same shotgun I have now but in 12GA, that thing was a brute when shooting anything bigger than 1 Oz. game loads, not fun at all. The little 20GA is so much more pleasant.
    5lima30ret likes this.

Thanks for posting! That's a nice-looking package.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links